User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 05:51 AM   #46
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,646
Dominoes effect

Here I was thinking that those guys deliver anywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapoLee
Hack seat and dry bag.Removed seat to haul gas.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #47
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,788
A few points to think about when reading what "others" have said about Urals...
  1. Many times, the person making the comment has never ridden one, let alone even sat on one.
  2. What MANY Uralistas (owners and wannabees) know is of the motos from 1994. They sucked. And because they sucked, ALL Urals suck. No matter what. Nevermind all the improvements over the past 14 years.
  3. Ride.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #48
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
BOUT time you arrived my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
A few points to think about when reading what "others" have said about Urals...
  1. Many times, the person making the comment has never ridden one, let alone even sat on one.
  2. What MANY Uralistas (owners and wannabees) know is of the motos from 1994. They sucked. And because they sucked, ALL Urals suck. No matter what. Nevermind all the improvements over the past 14 years.
  3. Ride.
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #49
xsPain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I have had my 07 Patrol on the interstate, actually did a saddlesore on it. no worries at all at interstate speeds. Won't go much faster though, and stopping can be....interesting.

Little GPS proof from yesterday, cruising around dairyland;

xsPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #50
postaldave
gone postal

Oddometer: 796
lmao, yeah if i was going to install any electrical system "Ducati electronics" is the first thing that comes to mind. what? did the vintage triumph shop run out of new old stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill
That review is way out of date. It is like saying a 2008 Roadking is like A 1970's AMF Electraglide. Urals made shortly after the Soviet Union fell were poor at best, and Dnepr's were really bad. Today Dnepr/Neval/Cossack is gone, and Ural's are a different machine. Brembo front brake, Ducati electronics, European gears, valves, pistons, US seals, and bearings. Still low in Hp, and speed. 65 mph is about max, but off the highway it will keep up with traffic just fine. After 5000 km's the only problem I have had on a 2007 is a bad flasher unit, that is a 30 second repair. Think of a Ural as a new "vintage" bike. Just remember, sidecars are like stout beer, You will love it or hate it. I havent even started My V-Star since I got the Ural.

1972 BMW R75/5 toaster
1995 BMW GS 1100
2001 yamaha kodiak 400
2002 HONDA VFR interceptor

no one is promised a tomorrow but one more ride would be nice.

postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #51
beemerron
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,321
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by postaldave
lmao, yeah if i was going to install any electrical system "Ducati electronics" is the first thing that comes to mind. what? did the vintage triumph shop run out of new old stock?

beemerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #52
HackFlipper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Understand that if you really want to get the speed out of your Ural you have to turn them upside down and shake them.. But, really I regularly ride mine on the slab to work. I stay in the slow lane, do 65mph and if there is a big rig to get behind to improve my aerodynamics all the better. I'm with Mr. Cob, you just have to relax and let the pig wallow a bit.
HackFlipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #53
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,061
It is a waste of time compairing a $12K Ural to a $30K custom built rig. like wanting a base model Jeep to drive like a top of the line Land Rover. Different tools for different jobs. "This dam wrench sucks - it will hardly drive a nail through cardboard" A Ural is a jack of all trades master of none. It isnt a sport, dirt, or touring bike, but it can be a little of each. A problem with Ducati electronics? I have never heard of any, Had a duck, put 60K miles on it, and never so much as a burnt out bulb.
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #54
YellowstoneBen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota
Good analogy about beer/hack. Wrong about Dneprs. My MT11 (post SU constructed) has been more reliable than a friend's 06 Ural. What Dnepr do/did you own?
I am the guilty party as mentioned with the 06 Ural. To date I have had two heads crack and one piston burn out. My alternator adapter leaks oil a little now, but I have received all warranty parts to repair these items within days of calling. When the warranty runs out I will start repairing the damaged parts that Ural NA let me keep(which was everything so far)

I must say that even though your Dnepr has been more reliable, again when something has broken on the same said 06 Ural, a phonecall and a few days had all of the warranty parts to my door. The Dnepr doesn't have that.

I did find that the inboard screw was lean (almost seated) and I went through two cracked heads prior to going through both carbs and finding that. I finally checked them on a hunch. No problems since. Nothing like being on a cross country trip at the normal 50-55 mph and having a crack in the head that leaks a quart of oil an hour. I had a large carbon footprint that day! I guess the dealer really took his time making sure everything was setup correctly.......Not! Like when they rolled it out of the shop and handed me the keys at delivery with the rig in two wheel drive. They didn't know much about it even as a selling dealer.

That aside the Ural is still my favorite rig over 6 BMWs and a Kawasaki.

Now back tothe Czechvars!!
YellowstoneBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #55
bwanacswan
Team Vicarious

Oddometer: 3,032
"I don't know if I ought to go sailing down the highway over 60mph on the Gear-Up with nothing between the ground and my brain but a piece of government plastic."

I use my GU for commuting to work and backroad travels. Didn't buy it to go fast. Mine feels good up to 60 most of the time....all depends on the road and the wind.

Bwana
ADV members, nothing but rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.
bwanacswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #56
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,582
So far I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanacswan
"I don't know if I ought to go sailing down the highway over 60mph on the Gear-Up with nothing between the ground and my brain but a piece of government plastic."

I use my GU for commuting to work and backroad travels. Didn't buy it to go fast. Mine feels good up to 60 most of the time....all depends on the road and the wind.

Bwana
Im still new to this hack stuff. The wife and I are going to the sidecar school in two weeks, but so far with how the bike sounds (motor revs) and feels(kind of pushed around in the wind) 57-61 MPH feels fast enough.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #57
dillon
Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer: 1,639
Well all i have for first hand experience is a test ride, and off of that just ripping around the field behind the dealer i know i want one. High speed is over rated for the most part anyway. Honestly i want one so i can commute on a bike in the winter and so i have a street legal ATV for hunting, which is the bread and butter of what these are made for. I have helped a friend of mine work on his quite a bit too. He has a 98 and he rides it everyday, rain shine snow it dosent matter. The only problems he has with his 98 are in the electrics, and since all that stuff has been updated(the 08s from what i have heard are running Denso electrics) i wouldnt think there would be many problems.
dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #58
RomaDakota
ROYGBIV

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowstoneBen
I must say that even though your Dnepr has been more reliable, again when something has broken on the same said 06 Ural, a phonecall and a few days had all of the warranty parts to my door. The Dnepr doesn't have that.

Now back tothe Czechvars!!
Agreed, but I do have a huge parts stash - mostly obtained on the cheap. Psst, I wont tell anyone you are running a Dnepr brake spring on your rear drum.
Czechvars - I am waiting...

Still I think the complications with modern Urals are because of the "upgrades" made for whatever reasons - some for EPA, some due to certain Russian vendors/components are no longer in business or the product is no longer made hence a product is outsourced or and foreign existing product is mated to the machine.
However as I type, I must say... my front bearing on tranny crapped out hence the Dnepr's guts are current spilled on the hangar floor. Need to get her back together soon

RomaDakota screwed with this post 05-21-2008 at 07:15 AM
RomaDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #59
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill
A problem with Ducati electronics? I have never heard of any, Had a duck, put 60K miles on it, and never so much as a burnt out bulb.
LOL. I can respect that you've never had a problem, but if you haven't heard of any problems with Ducati electrics you must be in need of a hearing aid
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #60
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
[*]What MANY Uralistas (owners and wannabees) know is of the motos from 1994. They sucked. And because they sucked, ALL Urals suck. No matter what. Nevermind all the improvements over the past 14 years.[/LIST]
I've had a number of bikes from this era, and still do. I have 50,000km on my Sportsman and would have a lot more if I had more excuses to ride it.

I don't agree that they sucked. Most of the problems I've had were with bikes that were left to sit for years, with rotten seals and gummed-up carbs. They required a bit more sorting and attention than other 90s-era bikes, and the QC wasn't so hot, but they were simple to work on and once you got the issues sorted out, they're basically reliable machines.

Especially for the price, something rarely mentioned. A '94 Ural Tourist with sidecar was what, $4000USD? What's a current one cost? You could have bought a brand-new '94 and replaced the drivetrain and electrics with one from an airhead and still have quite a few bills left over in your pocket.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote