Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #61
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Oddometer: 418
When I first got my GearUp, I thought that it'd be used just for the occaisional well tended dirt road. It's Russian. It's heavy. It's underpowered. It's unreliable.

I just finished a 600 mile ride in four days, from Seattle to the BlackDog Rally in Hood River. Two hundred and fifty of it was on Mr.Cob certified evilness, another two hundred and fifty were on superslab doing precisely 60mph, the rest on smaller highways.

Drove. Not trailered. Drove.

I went through hurricane force winds, sleet, dumping rain, blizzards, snowbanks, boulder strewn slopes, dusty dirt roads, deep(!) mud, gravel, logs, and at least five miles of solidly iced mountain pass road (Cayuse).

At one point it was all I could do to maintain 45mph going downhill in the Ural, but considering that it was straight into a 55-60mph sleet driven headwind, I'll take the third wheel stability over the extra speed.

Out of the four hacks that we left with (a GS1150, an F650, a WeeStrom, and my GearUp) only the GearUp suffered no mechanical failures, I had just one crushed wire from an impalement on a 10 foot spar which shorted my brake light to "on".

It's underpowered? I do wish for a little more horse power, but that's a simple enough matter to attend to with the strategic application of cash.

It's Russian? It likes nasty roads. With the two-wheel drive, it popped out of the worst mud hole I've ever encountered like a champagne cork.

It's heavy? It doesn't go skittering across the highway into a semi in horrid winds.

It's unreliable? It out lasted two BMWs and a Suzuki.

So what if it's a little slow?

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Bozola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #62
snoid
100% Okie

Oddometer: 28,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozola
When I first got my GearUp, I thought that it'd be used just for the occaisional well tended dirt road. It's Russian. It's heavy. It's underpowered. It's unreliable.

i tell ya... if yer running the proper pressures in the tires... it doesn't handle bad at all at higher speeds.

if the rear is low... it will shimmy more.

throttle management is everything when climbing long uphills. yer either gonna downshift to 3rd to get the rpms up and scream the motor up it at 55mph (not a good idea)... or get it up to 75 in 4th...

that way when you reach the top of the hill yer at least doing 65mph.

me
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #63
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid
i tell ya... if yer running the proper pressures in the tires... it doesn't handle bad at all at higher speeds.

if the rear is low... it will shimmy more.

throttle management is everything when climbing long uphills. yer either gonna downshift to 3rd to get the rpms up and scream the motor up it at 55mph (not a good idea)... or get it up to 75 in 4th...

that way when you reach the top of the hill yer at least doing 65mph.

me
I'm thinking that the right method of providing emergency power would be to weld a big metal plate to the aft and toss back sticks of dynamite.

No worries about tailgaters, either.....

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Old 06-11-2008, 04:40 AM   #64
redflasher
Baltika Lover

Oddometer: 149
Quote:

I just finished a 600 mile ride in four days, from Seattle to the BlackDog Rally in Hood River. Two hundred and fifty of it was on Mr.Cob certified evilness, another two hundred and fifty were on superslab doing precisely 60mph, the rest on smaller highways.

Drove. Not trailered. Drove.

I went through hurricane force winds, sleet, dumping rain, blizzards, snowbanks, boulder strewn slopes, dusty dirt roads, deep(!) mud, gravel, logs, and at least five miles of solidly iced mountain pass road (Cayuse).

At one point it was all I could do to maintain 45mph going downhill in the Ural, but considering that it was straight into a 55-60mph sleet driven headwind, I'll take the third wheel stability over the extra speed.

Out of the four hacks that we left with (a GS1150, an F650, a WeeStrom, and my GearUp) only the GearUp suffered no mechanical failures, I had just one crushed wire from an impalement on a 10 foot spar which shorted my brake light to "on".

It's underpowered? I do wish for a little more horse power, but that's a simple enough matter to attend to with the strategic application of cash.

It's Russian? It likes nasty roads. With the two-wheel drive, it popped out of the worst mud hole I've ever encountered like a champagne cork.

It's heavy? It doesn't go skittering across the highway into a semi in horrid winds.

It's unreliable? It out lasted two BMWs and a Suzuki.

I'm curious how you get more horsepower with strategic application of cash?

Bob in Minnesota
2006 GearUP
redflasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:57 AM   #65
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflasher
I'm curious how you get more horsepower with strategic application of cash?

Bob in Minnesota
2006 GearUP
Big bore. Lighten reciprocating mass. Valve work. Cleaning up the airflow.

The usual expensive stuff I used to do for my classic class race bikes.

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #66
snoid
100% Okie

Quote:

some would say the tranny and final drive are the limiting factors... too much juice and blammo!

i think a 5th gear, one ratio'd between 3rd and 4th would be of more help. 4th is a dog unless yer wound up. and wound up in 4th is 70mph.

how would one flowbench a radiator hose?

me
Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #67
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Quote:
some would say the tranny and final drive are the limiting factors... too much juice and blammo!
There's one way to find out. If it does, then'll I'll have that reengineered, too.

Fortunately we're not talking about much HP here. Maybe 10-15 HP. One of my big fears, as I've got a lot experience with it, are extended periods at high revs causing rod stretch. My Ural is just begging for custom Arias pistons and Carrillo titanium rods.

Quote:
i think a 5th gear, one ratio'd between 3rd and 4th would be of more help. 4th is a dog unless yer wound up. and wound up in 4th is 70mph.
I don't want to go 70mph, I just want a little more power to do 55-60mph up the mountain passes.

Quote:
how would one flowbench a radiator hose?
Drink a lot of beer. Void bladder through hose. Throw hose away. Find other solution.

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Old 06-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #68
snoid
100% Okie

Quote:
There's one way to find out. If it does, then'll I'll have that reengineered, too.

Fortunately we're not talking about much HP here. Maybe 10-15 HP. One of my big fears, as I've got a lot experience with it, are extended periods at high revs causing rod stretch. My Ural is just begging for custom Arias pistons and Carrillo titanium rods.

I don't want to go 70mph, I just want a little more power to do 55-60mph up the mountain passes.

Drink a lot of beer. Void bladder through hose. Throw hose away. Find other solution.
i'm the same... just want more grunt for the hills. bore and titanium conrods would be way overkill fer me personally.

which is why i'm thinking of putting a jato on the hack rack. a throttled pulse jet shouldn't be too hard to get working. i could store the peanut oil in the trunk. reed valve and spark plug off a kdx... thbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrtttt!

plus, i like the ear-splitting farting sound they make...

me

Old 06-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #69
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:

Custom cam.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #70
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46
Custom cam.
Yep. I'm patiently waiting to see if Dan Malinowski is going to be putting any kits together.

Quote:
COMING SOON...
  • ARP Cylinder head studs and nuts
  • Springs, retainers, keepers
  • Swirl polished stainless valves
  • Custom camshaft
  • High compression lightweight pistons with gapless rings

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Old 06-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #71
RomaDakota