Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #16
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
You should come up and ride! Most of the rides are pretty mellow. The pictures are from some of the more extreme rides.

There is a Randsburg run this Saturday starting off the 15. There will be a bunch of big orange riders there. Fire road/sandwash type stuff I think. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330738

I'm just a slow thumper rider and some of those guys constantly amaze me...they ride those things like 450's!
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #17
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
I've been riding for years in the dirt and my rule of thumb is: "Dirt riding should be done with more than one"

500+ lbs of steel crashing down on you won't be pretty. In my illustrious offroad riding career, twice I flipped end over end with the bike. This of course happens when your hauling ass cross country and a basketball size rock is hidden just beyond that bush, or a washout suddenly appears.

Either way, serious injury can result.

Moraflex screwed with this post 05-07-2008 at 04:19 PM
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #18
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,643
i still can`t see any fat chicks.............

good ride pix .......
Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #19
Michaelfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
So Sad

yup.... I work in that beautiful Searles Valley. Been there 30+ years. I live in Ridgecrest though. The stench is the hydrogen sulfide gas that the brine emits when its agitated. Kinda like me.

Nice bike. I could show you our world out here some day if you're interested.

If you aint crashin you aint ridin..... let a little air out of them mudders & it'll handle a little better..... but then you get pinch flats in the rocks...... take your pick....

Nice pics too......
Ridgecrest, Kahliffoanya
Michaelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #20
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelfish
yup.... I work in that beautiful Searles Valley. Been there 30+ years. I live in Ridgecrest though. The stench is the hydrogen sulfide gas that the brine emits when its agitated. Kinda like me.

Nice bike. I could show you our world out here some day if you're interested.

If you aint crashin you aint ridin..... let a little air out of them mudders & it'll handle a little better..... but then you get pinch flats in the rocks...... take your pick....

Nice pics too......
I might take you up on that offer, thanks! I understand that most of the folks that work in the Searles Valley live in Ridgecrest. How many folks actually live next to the plant in Trona? I assume that the mineral company owns most of the housing in town? Interesting place Trona is, I'd like to learn more about it. It feels like such a foreign place to me, the abundance of boarded up houses, the lack of very many people, the eerie vista of the lakebed next to the processing plant. It just happened to stick in my memory once I wandered around town for a bit.

crashmaster screwed with this post 05-07-2008 at 09:48 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #21
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
My friend’s grandpa helped build Trona. He put the first train tracks into that town. Robinson was his name.
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #22
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

After leaving the Searles valley behind, I wandered up a grade headed north on some easy two track. At the crest it crosses Trona Rd. and drops down into the Panamint Valley. After a spectacular descent into the valley I wound up on an old paved road that turned west toward the mountains, so I took a very sandy and rocky two track that continued north figuring that I would eventually hit Hwy 190.

Its now getting a little toasty in the valley and I start taking stock of how much water I have. Since the Zumo quit working and with my rocket surgeon trick of not taking maps, I'm pretty much just dead reckoning. Its too bad because I wanted to visit Ballarat and some of the other Panamint cabins. I know its east of me, but since I'm not on the main road, I have no clue how to get there. Thats OK, its something for the next trip.

After a few more low speed get offs in rocky sand, the toll of picking up the bike over and over again is wearing on me. Picking up an overloaded bike this size in sand is, well, interesting. I didnt take pics aftert this pointwhen I left the old paved road, I was just pissed off at myself for having so many get offs. Finally I can hear cars on the highway up ahead. F'ing Bingo, I do believe its close to beer thirty.

Finally, into Panamint Springs. Sure glad I dont need fuel, ouch. If I keep running into gas prices like this on trips, those aqualines will pay for themselves in no time.

A big Pacifico and a bottle of water, I'm a happy camper again. This joint has about 200 different kinds of beer in the fridge, so I paid tribute to Texas and had a couple of Shiner Bocks after the Meheecan brew. Before this beer, I was overheated, dehydrated, frustrated, and tired. But its curious how beer sets everything right with the world in short order. Beer, its not just for breakfast.

These nice folks were on the Hog out front. Lots of Harley bashing on this site, and I contibute to it but that commercial is right, you really do meet the nicest people on a Harley, or maybe that was on a Honda, whatever. As I was pulling into town on 190 there was a huge group of Harleys passing me the opposite direction. I thought I might give them the advrider salute just for kicks, but as they got a little closer, I decided against it. They didnt look like the typical yuppie/doctor/lawyer/indian chief/respectable citizen Harley owners of today. Back of their vests said Mongols, or Vagos or something like that. Whatever it was it sounded bad. Probably some of those infamous 1%'ers. I think maybe the salute might have been misunderstood, as I dont think they frequent this site, but I guess I could have kicked that 990 in the ass and disappeared into the desert when I heard the first gunshots headed in my direction. Discretion being the better part of valor, I kept my finger to myself this time.

crashmaster screwed with this post 05-10-2008 at 06:56 PM
Old 05-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #23
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 7,042
You're right, those bitches are too heavy. You need a GS

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #24
jbrownmxr
Gas Passer

Oddometer: 335
Hoggin

Nice work crashmaster. I just did a similar ride on my loaded 950 (sans aqualines) and it can be hairy in the sand. I found 22 psi in the tires helped to go from terrifying to just scary. Also stayin on the gas helped. Any who, I like the pics and the story. Keep it up.

JB
jbrownmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #25
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownmxr
Nice work crashmaster. I just did a similar ride on my loaded 950 (sans aqualines) and it can be hairy in the sand. I found 22 psi in the tires helped to go from terrifying to just scary. Also stayin on the gas helped. Any who, I like the pics and the story. Keep it up.
I like the way you put that, it goes from terrifying to just scary. Man aint that the truth. And whatever you do, when it gets soft, deep, and pillowy dont let off the gas or things will get fuckulated so fast you wont even know how the hell you ended up on the ground.

I have been run ning about 25 with the Ultra HD tubes. When the tanks start to empty out, I go down to 20 in the front. No pinch flats yet. I dont mind changing the front tube, but the rear is a bitch, especially in the searing sun and 100 degree heat.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #26
FlyNavy
2 much not chromed 2 list

Oddometer: 526
Holy Crap!!! Imagine what it will be at the pump if oil goes to $200 per barrel?

FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #27
Ishamael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Fun read............. lets see how it all evolves.

Is she fat, or just big boned?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #28
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishamael
Fun read............. lets see how it all evolves.

Is she fat, or just big boned?
yeah well, we had some moments, and then we had some moments....I am slowly getting over her being "weight challenged"

Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #29
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

After relaxing for a while, 30 minutes turned into almost 3 hours, and I realized it was already past 4 o'clock, shit. I gotta get moving. I was going to go southwest and check out Darwin, but now my limited time off from work was forcing me to make decisions. It really sucks on one of these rides when you realize that you do have a job that you would like to keep, and its rearing its ugly snout, changing your plans for you. So Darwin is out, and I'm headed for the north end of Death Valley, hopeful to arrive before dark.

So here I leave behind the Panamint Valley, along with roughly 3 gallons of my sweat putrifying in the sand below.

The Saline Valley Rd starts out as junked up pavement, then turns into a well graded dirt road, just a little sandy in some spots, and the occasional shallow, short water crossing to wash the dust off the bike. Just what I was hoping for to finish off the day. Here the GPS gives me a stupid blank stare, taunting me at every fork in the road. Mr. zumo, youre an asshat..........

Ah yes, a nice easy graded cruiser with jawdropping vistas. Finally I could relax, enjoy the scenery and not concentrate so much on the terrain in front of me. Usually on a dirt bike my scenery is limited to things such as, rock! shit! wash out! rock! big f'ing rock! shit! f'ing horse! Its pretty cool to be able to look around and take it all in, not just the obstackles.

That was all about to change though as shortly after this section I made a right turn at a huge rock cairn to go up over the mountains and into Racetrack Valley. I was now navigating Yogi Berra style, when you see a fork in the road, take it. What I didnt know, is that this was the hard way. What I also didnt know is that there is a much easier way to get there and I passed it long ago. At this point I dont know much, but with a busted GPS, and no map, all I knew is that I had to turn and go east.

I dont have pics of this section, I was focused and weighing options, and was a little disheartened and frustrated, so the last thing to cross my mind (if it ever did) was to take photos. What ensued can simply be described as comical. Well not comical for me, but if anyone was watching they would have pissed their pants laughing at my antics. This is where a riding buddy with a camera will blackmail you big time.

As the road zig zags up into the mountains, its getting much steeper and sprinkled with huge embedded boulders and rockfall. It gets steeper, more rocky, steeper, more rocky, until finally I'm slipping the clutch in first gear to crawl up and over this carnage. All of a sudden one of the Gobis reaches out and grabs a rock, fuck, I eat shit. To state the obvious that this is a bad place to drop the bike would be an understatement. As I crawl out from under the bike I thought, man this is steep, I dont know if I can get the bike back up much less get on it and ride it.

After stripping off the bags, some loud, gutteral grunting, and screaming streams of choice explitives at the hills, I manage to get the bike upright. Ever see a monkey hump a football? Yeah, its just like that, only way more humorous. I climb aboard the fat bitch, then promptly fall over again. In futility I repeat this process several more times. More streams of explitives are lauched into the wind. The bike doesnt care. She's acting just like a scorned woman that wont speak to you. Shit, this aint gonna work. Baby I take back all those times I called you a fat ass bitch, I really didnt mean it. So I take a break and just lay there on the rocks panting, for about half an hour, and swallow damned near a gallon of water.

I then get the bright idea to drag the bike about 10 meters downhill where it looks like I could get some better footing and try again. It works, I pick her up and mount up.. Now all I have to do is get moving. I start moving, slipping the shit out of the clutch, crawling up the rocks, I pass my bags layng on the ground, cant stop now, keep going up, up, up. After about what seemed like half a mile things mellowed out to where I could stop and get off the bike. Now, to get my bags, it will take two trips. Naturally. Just what I wanted to do, walk down and up that f'ing hill twice to get my bags. No other choice, so I take another break for maybe about an hour to find some motivation and some strength. By the time I finally retrieve the bags and get them back on the bike, its dark, and I'm out of water, naturally. Guess those beers were not such a good idea earlier in the afternoon huh? Better move now while its dark and cool, no sense in waiting until morning.

Now I'm not sure what I rode past in the dark, or how I got there, but I wound up at Ubehebe Crater, then found my way to Mesquite Springs campground by around 10 pm. Yes, they do have water at Mesquite Springs. It tastes like sewage, but as parched as I was, sewage water hit the spot, and was just fine by me.

After a not so good nights sleep (damned air mattress had a big hole in it) I figure I might as well split early before the ranger shows up and wants me to pay for my camp spot. I pay plenty of taxes, they dont need another 12 bucks out of me if I can help it. Is that so wrong?

As I'm packing up I meet Larry from Idaho. Larry is a pretty cool cat. Hes on his way to Oklahoma City to see some relatives, taking a few detours along the way. He asked if I wanted to ride into Furnace Creek with him to get some breakfast and coffee. Riding some slab to get some joe and some food? Hell yeah, after last night, I'm all about pavement, food, and coffee. I also decide that having a map is actually a good idea, so after breakfast I stop by the visitors center and pick one up, the free one, naturally.

After eating a phenonmenal heart stopper omelet oozing grease and cheese, I decide to cruise around and see some of the sights. I promise myself that today will be an easy day for me, graded dirt and slab only with beers and a hotel room at the end of the road, dancing girls would be a bonus.

To be continued..........

crashmaster screwed with this post 05-09-2008 at 04:00 PM
Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #30
xjon
Pedantic Bastard

Oddometer: 387
That last part got me laughing my ass off! Wish I was the ass friend with the camera in hand. Seriously, what an adventure. I admire your ride but don't want to do it.

Awesome pics. But is that bitch that ugly that you never take a pic of her face? Hell, my "pig" has a witches nose and I still take a pic of it.

Thanks for sharing and giving me a good laugh. As long as you made it out alive to write about it, it's all good.

PS you should ride with riceless, he always has a camera handy for those situations. Wouldn't catch me with them for some tormenting.