User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #76
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,256

damn nice pic!!

The bike looks good. It looks like you put the big girl through here paces and will be ready for the late July Canadian or there aboot adventure. Sweet report Vince.

Cody
Old 05-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #77
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
So where's the fat chicks pics?
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #78
stealth88
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Wow, I registered on the site just to be able to tell you how much I enjoyed your report and pics. I've been to those parks before and some of the photos are just jaw dropping and brought back some wonderful memories....kudos..
stealth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #79
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth88
Wow, I registered on the site just to be able to tell you how much I enjoyed your report and pics. I've been to those parks before and some of the photos are just jaw dropping and brought back some wonderful memories....kudos..
You mean my n00b ride report actually caused you to become a proper inmate of the asylum? Thanks for the kind words mate! Great first post btw.

crashmaster screwed with this post 05-11-2008 at 07:20 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #80
Chinaski
Righteous Dude

Oddometer: 49
Question Trona

My buddy and I were on a 2 day burn from Orange County to Death Valley and back. We stopped on the Bodfish-Caliente Road at the General Store, and I was telling him we would be going through Trona, and how it's an "interesting place." I said we should stop and try to eat there.

We got there, and I swear we saw the banjo playing kid from the movie Deliverance walking down the street. We stopped for gas and my buddy said he didn't want to stop and eat in Trona! We kept on going...

Someone who knows about Trona has to fill us all in - what's the story about that place????

BTW - Very nice RR and pics! You done good!
Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #81
bgw2go
Wanna Be Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Thanks for all the nice comments folks. Makes me feel good about putting in the effort to do a report, muchas gracias mis amigos........
This was a great report!

FYI, RR's like these are what keeps the cycle-lacking people on ADVrider sane, while dreaming of better days to come. For example, I have looked at getting a KLR 650 for years but, circumstance has always prevented it. Needless to say, right now, I tour vicariously.

-Joe
bgw2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #82
MT950
"OLD" Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Excl. RR

Riding solo alone , has it's down falls, but I like going when& where, without others input. So I ask , do you feel the AQ's tanks are a good answer for the extra miles? Yes /No will do. Hope to cross trails( I'll buy the beer) in this life. Thanks again for your RR
MT950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #83
MrE
computer driver

Oddometer: 1,083
Great report Mr Crashmaster...

Loved this passage:
Quote:
Night is falling, and there's nothing I can do about it. At this point, I shut off the bike, and sit down in the sand and quietly watch the sunset. The desert at this time is so quiet, so surreal, so pure, but at the same time it feels as if things are just starting to awaken and come alive. Desert creatures move and hunt at night, from the mammals to the reptiles, all of the them wait out the heat of the day the best they know how, and come alive at night. Its that transition that has always mesmerized and fascinated me. Sure, it would be nice to "get somewhere" for the night, and I still might, but I have to take a little time out, sit down in the dust, simply observe,and soak up the world around me. After all, despite all the preparations and plans, despite the 12 thousand dollar machine I ride, despite the schedule, and all the other bullshit, this is why I am here. I take off my helmet, quietly sit down in the sand and enjoy the show.
Have never ridden out there and have only driven through Anza Borrego/Joshua Tree once. But I regularly do the east coast variant of sitting in the woods, listening to the muffler pop while the woods come back to life. Love it.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
- Thomas Jefferson
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:48 AM   #84
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT950
Riding solo alone , has it's down falls, but I like going when& where, without others input. So I ask , do you feel the AQ's tanks are a good answer for the extra miles? Yes /No will do. Hope to cross trails( I'll buy the beer) in this life. Thanks again for your RR
Thanks! Its more complex than a simple yes or no. Well I'm having a bit of a time with the Aqualines. Issues with the fitment of the fuel pump into the tank, seems to like to eat up o orings. Secondly, after you have used the tanks for awhile doing the R&R to change the oil is a PITA. Removing is easy, its the replacing that aint so smooth. The tanks expand after use. I had to empty them out to put them on and it still wasnt so smooth. A large crow bar (and a buddy) was required to prop up the lower part of the tank to get the bottom hole to line up. No way one could do that in the field if removing the tanks were required for any reason. Moreover the TT crash bars dont fit very well either. Left side is fine, right side requires bending and still rubs the tank. It needs an extra inch or so of tubing to fit properly.

As far as the extra range, Some of the places I ride, its almost a necessity and still a better option than trying to carry gallons of fuel in plastic jugs. If you dont mind dealing with extra hassle of a marginally designed product, yes its worth it. Also, if you dont need to fill them all the way, dont do it, its downright spooky in the deep pillowy sand with full tanks.......

One thing I would do differently is to get the translucent white tanks. Since fuel range varies quite abit depending on conditions, I'm never sure how much I have left in the tanks, so it would very helpful to see the fuel, and make some marks with a sharpie on the outside of the tanks to read quantity. Doesnt look very good, but is extremely functional.

crashmaster screwed with this post 05-31-2008 at 05:56 AM
Old 05-31-2008, 10:24 AM   #85
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472

Great report CM and some brilliant pics. You're an artist man!
I've a 950 Adv, but do my offroading on a 625 SXC with uprated forks and an Aqualine 25 L clear ( white) tank..the seat is a bitch but it's a lot easier to handle when you fall off as often as I do. I'm far from an expert, but on sandy loose stuff I run the tyres at 12 lb. Feels much better and fewer "offs"-it's maybe psychological but just works for me. Try it?Thanks for the report, made my Saturday afternoon. I'll have a beer in your honour tonight. Grolsch anyone?
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #86
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Thanks Rod! My artistic side starts to show after a few pints I guess.

Yeah I understand about running some lower pressure in sand, however much of our desert terrain quickly changes between sharp rocks and deep sand, or sharp rocks in sand, so you have to compromise on the tire pressure for sand stability v. pinch flats. Coupled with that, 45L of fuel on the front wheel makes for intersting sand riding no matter the tire pressure.

However, I have had no pinch flats on the pig with 20 psi, so I might take it down a little more and see what happens. Thanks again for the kind words!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #87
Krashdragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
thanks for the RR and the pics...
Like a few others, I do my ADV rides vicariously.....

Mary
Krashdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #88
DavidFarrellGarcia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus McGee
great report, and awesome pics. What kind of camera do you use?
Angus... don't make me report you for showing up over here!
2005 HD Road King Custom (Keeper!)
2005 HD Road King Classic (Sold!)
2004 HD FXD (Sold!)
DavidFarrellGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #89
DavidFarrellGarcia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Thanks man! Well mr. zumo fires up ok, but once the map draws it immediately shuts down, on battery or hard wire power. Its on the way back to Garmin. Garmin support is good shit BTW. I may not buy another zumo, but I will buy another Garmin, and there's not alot of companies I would say that about.
Entertaining read. Thanks!
2005 HD Road King Custom (Keeper!)
2005 HD Road King Classic (Sold!)
2004 HD FXD (Sold!)
DavidFarrellGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #90
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidFarrellGarcia
Angus... don't make me report you for showing up over here!
go ahead. Make my day.

(are people still saying that?)

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote