Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #106
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,842
Really fun and entertaining read

Crashmaster,

I somehow just caught this ride of yours and was totally immersed into it as I've never been to death valley--but hope to do that very soon.

You had me grinning the whole time. There was just something about your spirit and will to keep going no matter what that made this ride so enjoyable to read. A lot of them you get to skipping over stuff or bailing out altogether---not yours though.

And you never took one bad picture---not one.

I can still ride my 950 through some tough stuff--got to keep it moving tho.
Bad part is I'm getting to where I can't pick it up. So I watch where I go when alone.

The best part----at one point you had no map--no sense of direction--no gps--you didn't care------you had lots of gas-------so---with gas-----your not lost at all

You had no destination goals---the best way to ride and the only way I'll ride anymore. I may lay out a big plan when I leave the house---but know I don't care if I never do it all or follow that plan at all.

Thanks !!!

And nice to see someone following my advice about "Cafe's"

I've got lots of advice--most pretty useless. I'm gettin' so old I need to start taking advice instead of giving it out !!!!

Big Dog
Old 12-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #107
BlueBuell
Banned

Oddometer: 421
Incredible report! Very Hard Core! I enjoyed it!
BlueBuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #108
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,191
Thanks again guys! Big Dog, thanks for the kind comments. Your RR's are what inspired me to do some of my own, great stuff. Well its pretty easy to not care where the hell you are or where you are going when you carry enough fuel to get the attention of Homeland Security. I also generally have some grand plan when I leave home, but it quickly goes out the window, sometimes even before I leave home. And as far as your advice from your website, its all spot on for sure, great stuff man!

I have a couple other RR's in the works. My latest was a trip to Copper Canyon. I started with some guys I knew only from this site, then wound up solo on the very first day. Re-joined them a couple days later, then wound up solo again due to stupidity. There's crashes, breakdowns, run ins with the cops, general buffoonery, etc. But it was Mexico and therefore plenty of places to find help.

I hope to head off to Death Valley solo once again this spring, with enough skills this time to really get myself into some serious trouble. But until then, its winter and Baja is calling, as it always does........

crashmaster screwed with this post 12-20-2008 at 06:02 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:16 AM   #109
ATAK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
As I read how eager you are to get things for free I must assume your ancestors are DUTCH.

Ad
ATAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #110
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,245
Great ride report. I also missed it the first time.

I on my R1200GSA, with the 8.7 gallon fuel tank, and my buddy on his R1200GS, rode up, east, on Lippincott after we talked with an employee at Panamint Springs. He said he made it up in a two wheel drive with no problem and thought it would be easy for us.

We had a similiar experience to you as we found ourselves slipping the clutch in 1st gear much of the way up the road and not knowing if we were going to make it or not. We had TKC80's on our bikes and dropped the air pressure to 20 psi for more traction. A couple of sections, we had to back the bikes down a ways to get traction to make it up but we finally did.

The bad thing about that road is that it gets washed out in sections, you probably know where, after some rain storms and you never know what the road will be like.

I think the steps riding east on Goler Wash road into Manson's Cabin and the loose gravel are actually more difficult than Lippincott on a "big pig" bike. 650cc bikes and smaller are dramatically easier to ride in Death Valley especially on loose gravel or deep sand.

The "escape route" is actually easy to find and only has one difficult section of rocks at the east end. You then have to cross a dry lake bed that might have water in it and not be passable so you have to ride around it to the south.

The west end begins just north of Trona as you turn to the east to the golf course. It is actually a sand golf course. Follow the dirt road east and it will take you to a dirt road that will lead you to Goler Wash and Manson's cabin. It isn't on any map but is in some of the DV trail books.

The "Tom Harrison" map of Death Valley is the best map of the area I have found. Get one if you plan to go back.

You missed the moving rocks at "the race track" as you drove past this in the dark. It is worth seeing but remember the rocks are only at the south/east end of the lake.

Great ride report. Looking forward to the next one.

You can find my ride report here http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13795 of my first trip to Death Valley on my GSA which was after a three day trip to Oregon to deliver a bike I sold. This was the first time I found the "Escape Route".

My trip on the GSA up Lippencott road is here: http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14446

My third trip to DV on the GSA is here: http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15941

Rode my GSA over 14,000 miles in less than a year and then sold it and bought another RT for long road trips.

After 5 trips to DV last year, I'm ready to go back for more.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #111
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Thanks! Yeah I had a little epic in the Goler wash a few months back. Those step are a bitch on the big bike, well for me anyway. I pretty much had no business in there with the 990. Hate to admit it, but after I fought it for a couple of hours, I got worried that I was pushing my luck and might seriously hurt myself. I bailed.

I will for sure pick up the map you recommend. Next DV trip for me will be on the 450 EXC.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #112
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAK
As I read how eager you are to get things for free I must assume your ancestors are DUTCH.

Ad
Nope. Italian, Irish, and Polish. Hows that for a cheap bastard?! It really didnt dawn on me until you mentioned it, but yes, I guess I am a little cheap. I just hate paying for little minor stuff when I can get what I really need for free with no harm to anyone else. I have money to pay for these things, but somehow I just cant stomach throwing cash around for every little thing. I'm fairly generous to other people. I will help them with whatever they need. But, I dont pay the mordidas to the cops in Mexico either. I will happily spend half of my day going to a police station to work out the trumped up charges against me. Its all principle, and I dont really care how long it takes. When you're on a bike trip, all you have is time and the promise of a little adventure, so why not use it, and simply kick back and see what happens?

crashmaster screwed with this post 12-20-2008 at 06:11 PM
Old 12-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #113
jcorni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I really enjoyed your RR, I am planning my first DV ride in the spring and can't wait. Most of my adventures come from Mexico trips but unfortunetly Mexico is out for awhile ( More than likley for good) since a buddy of mine was shot down there in November, My son was one of three riders that were involved in the shooting, I'm sure you read the news clip in the San Diego Union.

I bought an 08 klr 650 and have not taken it on an overnighter yet as we have plated wr 450s that make it very hard to leave behind when choosing the bike to take, although I will be bringing the 650 to DV.

Once again great RR, Im glad it was resarected as I missed it first time around.

Joe
jcorni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #114
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Wow, yeah that was a very unfortunate (and random) incident that happened north of the goat trail. I understand that they caught the shooter, but his motivations were unknown. That area for quite a few years has been known for close by drug activity like pot farms and the like. I have avoided it for several years, by heading to Mex 1 from Santa Catarina. I had on occasion been warned to not ride in there by several locals in the area that claimed to be ranchers, and it kind of spooked me, so I started bypassing it.

I'm glad everything turned out for the best and the guy wounded will fully recover. That one isolated incident should not deter you from enjoying Baja, but I understand what you are feeling.

The KLR will be fine in DV, but there are plenty of places that you will wish you had the WR.

Thanks again for the kind words, you will fall in love with DV and the Panamint Valley for sure.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #115
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,063
Thumb

I was just thinkin' today about making a run soon to Joshua Tree NP and your RR pops up again. Thanks for the photos of the area.

To be honest your title for this report has always turned me away. Today I got adventurous and clicked on it. I thought it was a thread to post photos of fat chicks overloading poor mopeds.

BTW you can get a DUI on a horse. At least in Arizona you can.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #116
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Thanks! Yeah I had a little epic in the Goler wash a few months back. Those step are a bitch on the big bike, well for me anyway. I pretty much had no business in there with the 990. Hate to admit it, but after I fought it for a couple of hours, I got worried that I was pushing my luck and might seriously hurt myself. I bailed.

I will for sure pick up the map you recommend. Next DV trip for me will be on the 450 EXC.
How big is your gas tank on the 450EXC? I figure a 200+ fuel range is a good idea in DV. Can't have too much gas in DV.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #117
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

I put the 4 gal Safari tank on the EXC for longer rides. It actually holds about 4.3 gal. So in moderate terrain, i have about a 160 mi. range, which is OK for DV, but you still wish you had 200.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 AM   #118
AdvJani
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thumb

Great RR, thanks!

AdvJani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #119
folmonty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Some kind of story

First off thanks for sharing the tale / adventure. Currenly planning a DV trip with a dirt noob and don't have any experiecne there on bikes myself. Sometimes I think ADV riding solo takes less brains than skill but when you're out there all alone the nerves start to kick in. For me at least. Had a few of those pucker moments which you never forget. So why do we keep pushing forwad? You definately threw fate to the wind over and again. Kudo's for not melting down. Reading through the story was time well spent!
R5, RD (x's3),W, ZRX
R100GS, GSA, KLR
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #120
jhansen
Harley Rider

Oddometer: 257
fat chick????

I think not. Nice ride report.
AMA Life Member
jhansen is offline   Reply With Quote