Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
markusarealuis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
2015 Husqvarna FE501 - Adventure platform?

Just thought I might post up a thread to get any information on the use of the new husky line. Has anyone bought one for conversion into an adventure setup? I may be in the market for one very soon :). Any comments or input would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 1,014
Same thoughts here; I'm curious about the rear polyamide subframe and its ability to handle gear through rough terrain. Unfortunately, the local dealer doesn't have any S models yet.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
w33b8t1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I am guessing it's the same bike as the exc right? There is an 80 page thread on that bike.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by w33b8t1 View Post
I am guessing it's the same bike as the exc right? There is an 80 page thread on that bike.
Not quite "same" but very "similar".

I agree the "plastic" subframe might be a concern.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
I hear the Husky is sprung softer, linkage on the rear, and possible a few minor engine mods to make it more of a dual sport. While the KTM remains a full on performance dirt bike.
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
EB1156
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I picked up a 501s for that very reason...light adventure bike. I missed out on the Husaberg 570 when new. I've always lusted after that one. The 70 degree adventure travelers thread was my inspiration for the purchase and beginning of the conversion. Coming from a KLR, this thing is super light, but I like that. I have yet to hit fast highways, though.

EB1156 screwed with this post 12-18-2014 at 04:01 PM
EB1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
bajarunner
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
I've got about 150 miles on a 15' FE501S. I've ridden the Orange cousin (500exc) in Baja and still ride a 350xcf. With the desmog kit, a 14/50 (or 52) set up and a slight TPS tuning - this bike now RIPS. I'd compare it to be buying a Toyota or a Lexus. Same Factory, but the fit and finish is exceptional - billet bling everywhere. It rides lower because of linkage, it settles into ruts/turns better because of linkage and it has a slightly heavier crank to help with the low end grunt. I've got an exhaust flange that is better than stock and an FMF 4.1 USFS silencer with stock header.

Its rides very similar to the 350 with fit and feel. It feels much different than a 500 because of their PDS shock.

Some slightly stiffer suspension and a tank that can get more than 90 miles... she'd ready for anything. Alaska or Troll Trail... you pick your poison.

On the road and off the record... except for that one time...

Husky FE501S, KTM 350XCF, KTM 200 EXC, KLX100, CRF50, PW50, almost running Trail CT90...
bajarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:32 AM   #8
w33b8t1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I have the orange one. I'm not a good enough rider to know the difference. The Husqvarna does look better in my opinion though. I probably would have source one of those instead, but the company buying/selling/changing was enough to make me just get a KTM.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,573
The Husky and the KTM 500 engines are the same.
The airboxes are different due to the plastic subframe on the Husky.

The Husky airboxes are sealed up tight, so tight that it interferes with the engine getting enough air.

The fix has been to drill out the airbox until it breaths, at that point it will feel like a KTM.

A lot of the magazine test riders like the choked down power of the Husky on the bigger bikes, on the smaller ones, not so much.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #10
BMWHuskyToom
Sorry, No Jap Bikes

Oddometer: 68
rear polymide subframe/

The rear polymide subframe is tough as hell. It doesn't flex as people think nor is there a concern with adding weight in my opinion.

The aluminum Subframes do crack and are subject to resonant vibration like a tuning fork. I've been welding aluminum for over 40 years.

Annealing of the part takes place while welding aluminum at about 450 to 600 degrees Fahrenheit. This can take the heat treatment out of that component and render it dead soft (T4).

Aluminum melts, welds and Puddles at 1214 degrees Fahrenheit. So you figure out which one is tougher.

The new Huskys subframes are held on at the bottom with 2 bolts per side. the race teams are currently taking one of the 2 bolts off of the subframe mounts on each side and racing the bikes that way. It is said to handle better and actually add to the flex a bit more on a Motocross track so I'd say they are plenty strong to be able to do this and say they are pretty damned strong outright.

I believe the composite subframe is better and absorbs lots of vibration on the big 4 stroke.

I have a new 2015 FE 501 with the 3 way map switch on the bars. It has the Euro Map installed in the ECU when I bought it and got it from "Bills MC Plus" in Salem Oregon. Shipped to me here in AZ after also installing radiator guards and frames from 7602 and heavier fork springs for me. I did the rear shock spring myself. They recrated the bike and shipped it and I got it a little over a week ago. I was the first customer to ever ask for more power and the first to have him do the Euro Map install at time of sale. With the KTM tool for the ECUs. I run a complete FMF Megabomb head pipe, mid pipe and tail muffler exhaust, with an arrestor screen from the FMF titanium tail pipe slip on, I also have the quiet core insert with a smaller diameter tube and spark arrestor screen.

I run mine in mild mode 90% of the time. Wild is just that, at the flip of the switch at idle It doesn't build rpms its fucking there, instantly. This only affects the timing, not the fueling of the map through the ECU whatsoever. High Octane gas is needed if you plan on riding it in the wild position all the
time. It fucking rips wheel stands in 5th gear, and goes over 110mph with the stock gearing. 13 on the front. It's a 50 on the rear. I have a 14 front on order, many other add ons on the bike already and a few smaller sprockets coming for the rear. Down to a 48.

Break in time so far only.. With a Nihilo wireless hour meter added to the side panel under the front edge of the seat out of the way. I have logged 56.6 miles off road in .9 tenths of an hour.. I would say it's pretty fast. I ride single
track and 2 tracks on the SE AZ Border against Mexico (Agua Prieta).

The KTM 500 ECX is smogged,charcoal canister. catalyitic convertor in the inlet end of the pipe. same with the FE 501S model etc. They even have a smaller gas tank to accommadate this extra Bullshit that every one is going to pay for and take off anyway ,the KTMs PDS sucks.

Just Like the FE 501 S model its smogged too.

My FE 501 is plated here in AZ where I live by simply adding a direct plug in banjo fitting to the rear master and a high, low, off switch for the head light. this setup plugs directly into existing wire plugs with no mods or splicing needed. from "Sicass racing".

The FE501S model has an ECU that is locked and cannot be reflashed so a Powercommander 5 is the only option to coax more power out of these lean burning smogged engines. Just like the KTM EXC engines that come in the true dualsport mirrored EXC or FE501S model.
Looking back, I notice the Assholes in my mirror are closer than they appear. So if I stop now I will soon be surrounded by Assholes and I may not know who they all are. They all know who they are though.
I've been told I'm Suicidal but I also Procrastinate a lot.

BMWHuskyToom screwed with this post 04-19-2015 at 09:23 PM
BMWHuskyToom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #11
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHuskyToom View Post
The rear polymide subframe is tough as hell. It doesn't flex as people think nor is there a concern with adding weight in my opinion.

The aluminum Subframes do crack and are subject to resonant vibration like a tuning fork. I've been welding aluminum for over 40 years.

Annealing of the part takes place while welding aluminum at about 450 to 600 degrees Fahrenheit. This can take the heat treatment out of that component and render it dead soft (T4).

Aluminum melts, welds and Puddles at 1214 degrees Fahrenheit. So you figure out which one is tougher.

The new Huskys subframes are held on at the bottom with 2 bolts per side. the race teams are currently taking one of the 2 bolts off of the subframe mounts on each side and racing the bikes that way. It is said to handle better and actually add to the flex a bit more on a Motocross track so I'd say they are plenty strong to be able to do this and say they are pretty damned strong outright.

I believe the composite subframe is better and absorbs lots of vibration on the big 4 stroke.

I have a new 2015 FE 501 with the 3 way map switch on the bars. It has the Euro Map installed in the ECU when I bought it and got it from "Bills MC Plus" in Salem Oregon. Shipped to me here in AZ after also installing radiator guards and frames from 7602 and heavier fork springs for me. I did the rear shock spring myself. They recrated the bike and shipped it and I got it a little over a week ago. I was the first customer to ever ask for more power and the first to have him do the Euro Map install at time of sale. With the KTM tool for the ECUs. I run a complete FMF Megabomb head pipe, mid pipe and tail muffler exhaust, with an arrestor screen from the FMF titanium tail pipe slip on, I also have the quiet core insert with a smaller diameter tube and spark arrestor screen.

I run mine in mild mode 90% of the time. Wild is just that, at the flip of the switch at idle It doesn't build rpms its fucking there, instantly. This only affects the timing, not the fueling of the map through the ECU whatsoever. High Octane gas is needed if you plan on riding it in the wild position all the
time. It fucking rips wheel stands in 5th gear, and goes over 110mph with the stock gearing. 13 on the front. I think its a 51 on the rear. I haven't bothered to count. I have a 14 front on order, many other add ons on the bike already and a few smaller sprockets coming for the rear. Down to a 48.

Break in time so far only.. With a Nihilo wireless hour meter added to the side panel under the front edge of the seat out of the way. I have logged 56.6 miles off road in .9 tenths of an hour.. I would say it's pretty fast. I ride single
track and 2 tracks on the SE AZ Border against Mexico (Agua Prieta).

The KTM 500 ECX is smogged,charcoal canister. catylitic convertor in the inlet end of the pipe. same with the FE 501S model etc. They even have a smaller gas tank to accommadate this extra Bullshit that every one is going to pay for and take off anyway ,the KTMs PDS sucks.

Just Like the FE 501 S model its smogged too.

My FE 501 is plated here in AZ where I live by simply adding a direct plug in banjo fitting to the rear master and a high, low, off switch for the head light. this setup plugs directly into existing wire plugs with no mods or splicing needed. from "Sicass racing".

The FE501S model has an ECU that is locked and cannot be reflashed so a Powercommander 5 is the only option to coax more power out of these lean burning smogged engines. Just like the KTM EXC engines that come in the true dualsport mirrored EXC or FE501S model.
There is also the option of buying the standard FE501 ecu or a Vortex ECU to completely de-restrict a 501s model.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #12
BMWHuskyToom
Sorry, No Jap Bikes

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Dude View Post
There is also the option of buying the standard FE501 ecu or a Vortex ECU to completely de-restrict a 501s model.
So if you sell all the Bullshit trash that gets broken off of the S model any way after you ride it out on the trails for real, after you get those plates. and paid extra for all this Bullshit too. Or do you take this crap all off when new and put the parts in a box and trade all of them in for the unlocked ECU in a box and trade the worthless locked ECU for a few bucks as its worthless. Then What?? figure out your finances and why you paid an extra 700 or 800.00 for a bunch of crap you are going to take off anyway. So to add to this brilliant plan.

The Vortex ECU is only about 700.00 or so and is a good plan. If you have another 700 bucks to throw at it.

ZipTy racing is now working on allowing the ZipTy maps he's working on, so you can start downloading his preprogrammed maps, as no maps exist yet from Dyna Jet for the new PC5 for the S model to run a PowerCommander 5.

So you would have to set it up with the AutoTune function to build your own maps from AFR settings alone. If you didn't already have a laptop to take outside to tune it with you can always buy a boosted 90 ft USB cable to run it outside and tune it from your home desktop. Hell just bring it in the house and plug it in with the provided cable from the PC5 and do it leaning against your desk. To fix these lean deceleration popping problems. So that's about another $550.00 dollar option added to the S model, and the welding of a O2 sensor bung on the headpipe too. So the AutoTune will even work.

So your up to a few thousand now extra for the S model, to get it to run right. While its sitting in your office against your desk being tuned for the cheapest way possible. The PC5 or the FE 501 ECU from the dealer that is on back order forever.

All of this would be wasted money on the S model and can be used for other things to make the bike better not just run correctly for off road use.

My toilet has a Vortex, its programmed to derestrict and completely de-smog my fuel system, sometimes twice a day. My ass would rather be sitting on that 700.00 though.

Walking into the KTM dealer and ordering an extra new ECU for a new bike must be fun, and a pricey affair. If I was a parts guy at the counter I would probably lose my job for laughing so hard at the people who would do this. especially when they are on back order from the factory for only god knows how long. just like the kicker assemblies that I and several others have bought for the Fe 501s. That come already on most of the KTMs, so yea there are some trade offs. Lots of stuff is backordered at the factory and any down time just sucks, waiting for parts you have already paid for.

Just get the FE 501 standard model to begin with and save more than about 1000.00 bucks. People are getting plates for them even in the Republic of California. Full legal lighting kits are 265 with signals and a horn.

Big double Mirrors are for bathrooms, gyms and beauty salons.

Oh and watching the Assholes behind me. See below.
Looking back, I notice the Assholes in my mirror are closer than they appear. So if I stop now I will soon be surrounded by Assholes and I may not know who they all are. They all know who they are though.
I've been told I'm Suicidal but I also Procrastinate a lot.

BMWHuskyToom screwed with this post Yesterday at 12:47 AM
BMWHuskyToom is offline   Reply With Quote