Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #166
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehunter2007 View Post
Traded my leaky old jon boat and a 1975 johnson 9.9 outboard for this 1994 KLR250.

Nice trade, I say
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #167
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
Anyone have a spare muffler baffle taking up shelf space they would like to get rid of? Mine came with it removed and the PO has not seen it since the 90's.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #168
bzrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,606
bzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #169
taosgsr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
New to me KLR 250

Well I was given a basket case KLR 250 last week. I havent got into it since the holiday season and I still need to put the motor back in the 450. The KLR was given to me as a freebie. I even got the title.
What I do know is, it is a 1985 and "looks" like it has been taken care of. Plastic and seat in good shape. The Top end is off the motor but it all looks to be there.
Ive been reading this thread and I have to say im pretty exited about the project. I was really suprised to see the thing was rated at 27 hp! that should get down the road allright.
Needless to say Im now subscribed. Ill get some pics up after the holiday and can get into it
Old 12-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #170
oldstyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
It's my first day

Found this 98 on craigslist a few weeks ago and bought it. First motorcycle ever. Never sat on one or even driven a manual transmission car before. A week later I took the MSF Basic Rider's Course. Last week I joined this site (even learned how to upload pictures) and today is my first post. So I'm ready to ride to Argentina now, right?

Through careful studying of this and a couple other websites I have almost learned how to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about when it comes to motorcycles. It's pretty clean. I guess it was ridden pretty hard the first few years then spent a good deal of time sitting the past couple years. Minor scratches and dents on the tank and the plastics are fading. Minor rust on the subframe. 6k miles, pirelli tires, I think he said it was a Cobra exhaust. It has progressive suspension stickers on it, don't know how to tell if the suspension is actually progressive. Don't know what the Falicon sticker on the swingarm represents. There is a UNI sticker on it too but the air filter was not UNI (I know cuz I ordered and installed a new one). $1100 delivered to my door. It starts up real easily. The only trouble I had was the other morning when it was 30 degrees out. She refused. After an hour of trying I just accepted the fact that with her, no means no. I live in an apartment so it will be stored outside under a cover. Luckily 30 is probably about as cold as it will get down here.

I'm pretty pumped about it. Sure it's not the fastest thumper out there (right?) but I've had it up to an indicated 70 mph. So much fun. In a month I've put 380ish miles on it which I think isn't too bad for a total n00b. About 50 of them were dirt/gravel miles too. I guess that's something to note on here. I look forward to becoming an ADVrider and having some cool experiences as I start what hopefully will be a lifelong hobby. I also look forward to using this site and the wealth of knowledge here as I begin to test my wrenching abilities to figure out what, if anything, needs tinkering with.

Happy New Year, cheers!
oldstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #171
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,792
Nice going, oldstyle!

In my experience, I've discovered, sometimes STRTING FLUID is my friend, with my KLR250 (If you're gonna use the stuff, good idea to have fire extinguisher handy).

Sometimes, a petcock shut-off and relentless cranking's necessary to purge excess fuel from the carb.

Initial start-up's been occasionally the only balky incidents I've experienced; never been stranded by my KLR250.

Hope you enjoy similarly reliable service!

-------------

Here's a link with some worthwhile KLR info:

http://klr250.blogspot.com/
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #172
Moezilla
Velocity Joint

Oddometer: 167
Suspension links

My son just got his permit (15 1/2 YO in Missouri!) and we got him a pristine KLR250 this week. Previous owner was a lady, and had the bike lowered. Spoke to her husband by phone, and he has the stock links....only problem is that they have had several bikes and have lowered them all. Could I ask a favor of one of you inmates with a 2005 KLR250, that being measure the center to center distance of the "dogbone" suspension links and report back or PM me, please?

We went for a 65 mile dirt/backroad ride today with 4 of my riding buddies. Son was thrilled to be riding his own ride, rather than on the back. Here's a pic of him ready to roll. You can see the rear is a little squat with him on it...he's already 6'1.

You own a KLR and a BMW? You must really be a tight-ass...
Mechanic at the BMW dealer
Moezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:49 PM   #173
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,262
[QUOTE=oldstyle;14820824]So I'm ready to ride to Argentina now, right?
QUOTE]
Yup! We can leave tomorrow!

I was in St Pete all week and froze!

Congrats on the bike, you will enjoy it!

Mine would not start cold. It was bought from an estate sale and the previous owner must have uttered the wrong words on his death bed. Rather than saying put some STABIL in my bike he likely said something useless like goodbye. I Knew the choke was afu and tried to correct it with chemicals, hypersonic cleaning devices, guitar strings and finally a drill press. I could never clear what was blocking the enrichment passage. I managed to get it to work like a primer but without a high idle I had to modulate the rpm until she warmed up a bit. In November, with a Connecticut winter looming, I broke down and bought a new carb from River Rat for $251 all in. It now functions as it should. If yours had an extended time of disuse, that may be the problem.

One thing you should do now is check the valve clearance. The KLR250 web site has a good explanation of the procedure including pictures. If you follow it exactly, you'll have no problems doing it in about an hour. There is a slight chance that an exhaust valve hanging open is causing the cold start issue.

As for Argentina....read the book LOIS ON THE LOOSE. She made it through so a noob prolly can as well. It only takes time and $. Lots of $$$!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #174
LoCoMatt
Busy

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstyle View Post

The only trouble I had was the other morning when it was 30 degrees out. She refused. After an hour of trying I just accepted the fact that with her, no means no.
You might want to have someone check it out. Could be an issue with the choke/ enrichment system, valve adjustment, etc.

I've been able to start mine with temps in the 20's. It takes a few extra kicks, but still fires up fairly quickly.

Enjoy the bike, I love mine (even though it's for sale)!
LoCoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #175
Jeremiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
One thing you should do now is check the valve clearance. The KLR250 web site has a good explanation of the procedure including pictures. If you follow it exactly, you'll have no problems doing it in about an hour. There is a slight chance that an exhaust valve hanging open is causing the cold start issue.

+1 on checking the valves - and the KLR250 Website - it's how I learned.
7500+ miles on the lil'beast and no problems except an occasional (2-3 times) hard start ( have to kick it more the twice) it is a sign I need to pay a little attention to her. Do a little maintenance, check the valves and off we go again.

Good luck - I know you will enjoy it! I'll never get rid of it just too much fun!
GL1800
Jeremiah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #176
losercharles
it's just a rash

Oddometer: 387
Just bought 2001 KLR 250

I picked up a KLR 250 this weekend. It is a 2001 model with 10k on the clock. I plan to have the fluids replaced soon, but spent the weekend putting 300 more miles on it! I should probably open up the KLR website and learn to set the valves on the little beast. It starts with no problem.

One question: For most of my trip, I was running between 65-70 mph (indicated). Is the 7.5k RPM much for the little bike, or do you all feel it could do this all day?

Thanks!
Attached Images

losercharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #177
Jeremiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by losersteve View Post

One question: For most of my trip, I was running between 65-70 mph (indicated). Is the 7.5k RPM much for the little bike, or do you all feel it could do this all day?

No problem - I think it maybe the reason the valves need to be checked every 1500 miles but what do I know..
I have done 65 mph all day loaded for weekend camping so I am hauling 250lbs+. Never skipped a beat.
On the KLR site people have changed sprockets, if that is the way you intend to ride, but I like the gearing when it gets dirty.
GL1800
Jeremiah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #178
oldstyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thanks all for the input. I have seen that website and intend on checking/adjusting the valves within the next couple weeks. I just need to buy a torque wrench and feeler gauges. I'm also going to replace the spark plug with one of the 16 mm variety. The previous owner gave me a ground down 17 mm or 18 mm socket (whichever it is - can't remember right now) that he used. I guess he lost the original tool for it, but he did still have the two owners manuals.

He mentioned something about the choke being iffy, but I haven't messed with it, and of course I lost or threw away the guy's number. Haven't needed it for starting her up except that cold day. I tried it in a couple different positions that morning with no luck. Since then it's started up easily without choke everytime - first or second kick. If extended periods of cold weather are ever in it's future I will keep the choke info in mind.

For now the UNI filter, spark plug, and valve check/adjustment were the first things on my list. I'm a little nervous about messing with the carb but I also want to check to see if the fuel/air mixture screw has been adjusted as well.

It is a blast though. Did 130 miles yesterday and found some good dirt trails which included some nice Florida sand. She likey. Thanks again!

oldstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 AM   #179
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstyle View Post
Thanks all for the input. I have seen that website and intend on checking/adjusting the valves within the next couple weeks.
Not sure which website addresses KLR250's; if not http://home.earthlink.net/~klr250informationexchange/, link please!

Some good info here: http://klr250.blogspot.com/

Valves on my '03 KLR250 were within specs at 10 k miles; the little DOHC 4-valve engine doesn't object to high-rpm operation, seems to me.

IMHO you don't need no stinkin' torque wrench to adjust the valve clearances (actually, to snug down the setscrew locknuts); a "feel" determines when they're tight enough not to shake loose, and not too tight to strip; YMMV!

Should you adjust the valves, re-check the clearances AFTER the locknuts are snubbed; you may have to take a little "Kentucky windage" with higher clearance than seems necessary before you torque down the locknuts to have the clearance you want when you finish.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 01-03-2011 at 03:22 AM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #180
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,274
A quick question for you guys. Do you get chain noise?

Only asking because my newly-put-together KLR 250 is fine (except the 10F degree starting), but when I run her on the street, I can hear the chain (drive, not cam) and it sounds almost like it is grinding against something. I already adjusted the chain as tight as I feel comfortable, but it still sounds that way. The front sprocket has a little slack on the shaft, maybe 1/8" from dead stop, but it is tight. I doubt it is the sprocket. Teeth are good and so does appear the chain. It does not grind against frame (I replaced the frame guard thingy) and it does not grind against sprocket cover either. Just sounds like it is. I notice it mostly in low rpms and speeds above 30 mph.

Thanks
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote