User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #256
livetofly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
2005 KLR 250, good first motorcycle?

So I'm in college and looking to get a motorcycle to help save on gas from my truck, plus have always wanted one. Most all my driving is just around town from home to school, which includes about 16 miles over a highway (65mph posted) round trip. Will the KLR 250 work on that stretch of highway everyday to carry me and my gear (~230lbs) to school and back? I'm slightly concerned about the power because I'm in Northern Arizona at 5,000 feet elevation.

I just went and looked at a 2005 KLR250 w/ 7,000 miles on it, but the title does show "restored/salvage". Apparently this guy bought it from an insurance auction and made just minor repairs to get it running and looking good again. I don't know a lot about motorcycles but most everything appeared clean and in good shape, started up good on second kick. Does $1,900 sound fair for this KLR? Only thing it might need right away are some new tires. I'm thinking a 250 might be a better beginner bike than a 650, plus its a little cheaper. Biggest concern is that 8 mile stretch of 65mph highway to get to school everyday safely and reliably. thanks
livetofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #257
valvecrusher
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCrusher View Post

2. Is the countershaft oil seal+orings replaceable without splitting the cases(from outside?
)

Anyone>?

I don't know where you are live to fly, but i have an '86 KLR 250 in the same condition as yours prospective KLR.

I bought it from a long term owner(15 years), restored it...and went to the TAG office to buy a plate....When i came outside, my KLR was lying on it's side....a lady backed into it and knocked it over.(or more?)
I was paid damages for the bike, and kept it...

Now, I don't want it at all.

I'm in western NC.

I'm going to price mine around $1200, due to salvage title. But I do have all receipts for my restoration, and you can also tell by looking that everything is there, and where it's supposed to be..

Good luck with yours, or send me a pm for info about mine..I'm only selling it to buy a WR250R.

The KLR250 should be fine running at the speeds you mention.(65 for 8 miles, no problem!)

But wait! $1900 and it needs tires? NO! that's too high....$1900 is high gross retail for a bike that is fully serviced and ready to ride.(disassembled and greased, new cables, etc)

good luck!

valvecrusher screwed with this post 08-05-2011 at 10:39 PM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #258
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCrusher View Post
2. Is the countershaft oil seal+orings replaceable without splitting the cases(from outside?)
Looked through the 250 Service Manual Supplement, and it says you can slide the external shift mechanism out from the clutch side, then deal with the CS oil seal. It calls to remove the following parts:
  • shift pedal
  • right engine cover
  • clutch housing
Then you pull out the shift shaft replace the oil seal. You *may* be able to pull the seal with the shifter in place, but it'd be a real PITA. Consider it a learning experience
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #259
mutt550
restless soul

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by livetofly View Post
So I'm in college and looking to get a motorcycle to help save on gas from my truck, plus have always wanted one. Most all my driving is just around town from home to school, which includes about 16 miles over a highway (65mph posted) round trip. Will the KLR 250 work on that stretch of highway everyday to carry me and my gear (~230lbs) to school and back? I'm slightly concerned about the power because I'm in Northern Arizona at 5,000 feet elevation.

I just went and looked at a 2005 KLR250 w/ 7,000 miles on it, but the title does show "restored/salvage". Apparently this guy bought it from an insurance auction and made just minor repairs to get it running and looking good again. I don't know a lot about motorcycles but most everything appeared clean and in good shape, started up good on second kick. Does $1,900 sound fair for this KLR? Only thing it might need right away are some new tires. I'm thinking a 250 might be a better beginner bike than a 650, plus its a little cheaper. Biggest concern is that 8 mile stretch of 65mph highway to get to school everyday safely and reliably. thanks

You should be fine with that distance/speed. I run mine about 14 miles one way and it never misses a beat. I gave $1200.00 for my 2001 w/3800 miles that had been sitting for about 3 years. A guy I know sold it to me after his wife got tired of it and let it sit. It wouldn't start when I bought it but I knew that a good carb cleaning would have it up and running.

I would not pay them the $1900.00 for a salvage title bike. Even tho its a 2005 I still think you could do better price wise.

Good luck with your search!!
mutt550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #260
handyman1018
way up firm and high

Oddometer: 18
Headlight Cowel needed

Hi, just picked up a 98 KLR250. Needs a headlight cowel/fairing, speedo, and front turn signal. Anyone have some/all of these that they would like to sell please PM me. Thanks.

Pics coming soon... they are sad.
handyman1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #261
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 464
Heading about an hour away to look at a barn/craigslist find. 86 KLR250 that needs some help. Prior owner had some sort of electrical problem and was taking it apart to fix it and kicked the bucket. His son wants it gone, so for $200 its hard to go wrong provided the engine turns over. Worst case scenario I walk away, but I need a new project :)
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #262
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
Heading about an hour away to look at a barn/craigslist find. 86 KLR250 that needs some help. Prior owner had some sort of electrical problem and was taking it apart to fix it and kicked the bucket. His son wants it gone, so for $200 its hard to go wrong provided the engine turns over. Worst case scenario I walk away, but I need a new project :)
I wish I could find a deal like that. A few parts from Kaw and you've spent the $200. Difference is that you will have the rest of the bike too!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #263
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 464
What have I gotten myself into :)

Just got back with it! Was half expecting to go there and find a few boxes of parts, but was surprised and a half to find the bike pretty much assembled/all there! Paint sucks, looks like someone tried to paint it with house paint or some crap like that...fairly rough exterior, but it turned over, and there was no rust on the tank:

Decided for shits though to pop off the valve cover to take a look at the cams to see if there was any wear with 18k on the clock:

Little bit, but no scoring

Random pictures:

Happy with the purchase so far...should be a fun long term project while i cruise around on the DR...no super big plans yet outside of starting teardown. Always wanted to build an engine so I may drop it here at home and take it to school to work on. Maybe a 330cc kit from cycleworks? I'm taking an engineering class this fall focusing on internal combustion engines with a big project so maybe I can pursuade Dr. White to let me use this one :)
-M
-M
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #264
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Oddometer: 144
Hi, what's the cheapest handlebar replacement for the KLR 250? The bend is fine but if the bar were an inch or two more narrow that would be a bonus. I don't need a titanium or Aluminum bar, steel is fine,I'm just having trouble finding anything.

These are the cheapest I've found that 'look' like the closest to stock dimensions, though I'm not even sure what the OEM dimensions are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOOSE...#ht_2250wt_771

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tusk-...#ht_4084wt_883

Nightfall screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 01:59 AM
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:24 AM   #265
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,451
Could always trim the current bars down. Just make sure there's enough space for the controls.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #266
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Is it possible to misalign the triple tree upon installation? When I'm riding straight the bar is not, and if there is a bend in the bars it isn't perceivable by my eyes, also the bike doesn't seem to pull to one side more than the other.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #267
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
Is it possible to misalign the triple tree upon installation? When I'm riding straight the bar is not, and if there is a bend in the bars it isn't perceivable by my eyes, also the bike doesn't seem to pull to one side more than the other.
I don't know but wonder if the rear axle is not aligned correctly. You may want to take a look at the chain tensioners to see if they are equal.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #268
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I don't know but wonder if the rear axle is not aligned correctly. You may want to take a look at the chain tensioners to see if they are equal.
I don't know why I didn't think of that today when I was cleaning and lubing the chain lol thanks much, I'll report back.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #269
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

I found this rack on ebay, good price, thought you guys/gals may be interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...#ht_1585wt_958
Old 08-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #270
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandKPhil View Post
I replaced the stock muffler on my '03 KLR with a FMF Q4 that I got on Ebay for $262 (delivered). I love the FMF. I re-jetted at the same time I replaced the muffler, and the bike runs perfectly.

PM me if you'd like, and make an offer on my stock muffler. I have all of the attachment hardware (nuts & bolts) also. The muffler's in great shape, w/no rust or holes. You would of course have to pay actual shipping cost too.
Do you have to change jets with a slip on with these bikes?