Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #346
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 548
I just finished a fight with a friend's KLR that was a pain to start when cold. The big list of things to do:

Check spark plug and make sure it's gapped correctly/isn't fouled
Make sure the choke cable is installed correctly and is actually working on the carb
Check the valve clearances
And the last ditch effort is to pull the carb and clean all the little passageways that can get gummed up.

His wouldn't start when cold without a bump start. The big thing with his was the valve lash and the fact that the choke cable wasn't doing its job. It fires up on the first kick now.

-M
godwinmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #347
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Valve check is a must. If they're out of spec its a pain to start these things. I had received the slow kick and then quick kick advice as well. Other thing that seemed to work well last year when it was in the teens here was two slow kicks with the key off and then key on and full choke give it a quick kick. That advice came from a klr site and it never failed me when commuting last winter. Coldest I rode in was 19 degrees and she still started right up.

You think mud is a good paint protector
Winterizing just means putting a tarp over it till tomorrow
You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"
You like humvees and hate H2's
You've gone into an Army Surplus store to look for riding gear.

Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #348
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
There's always STARTING FLUID, nightfall!

(Do not try this at home; if you do, have fire extinguisher handy.)
I ride almost year round, the only time I don't ride as much is summer, my bike is not only for fun but it is a legitimate form of transportation for me, so something as inconvenient as starting fluid every morning would not be considered.

- '01 KLR 250
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #349
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

I've been doing the slow kick then fast kick and it's working like a charm, but then again, it's been in the mid 90's during the day, I guess I'll just have to wait until it gets cooler to use the two slow kicks with the key off and my new single slow kick then fast kick technique. lol

I'm just hoping she isn't too much of a pain to start when it's cold out 1 because I love riding when it's cold and 2 this beast is my way to work, I only drive the miata when I have a bunch of errands to run, it's raining heavily or when it's in the 20's.

- '01 KLR 250
Old 09-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #350
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

One more thing, do these engines benefit at all from a higher octane fuel? I'm thinking the higher octane fuel would make the bike more difficult to start.

- '01 KLR 250
Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #351
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
One more thing, do these engines benefit at all from a higher octane fuel? I'm thinking the higher octane fuel would make the bike more difficult to start.
Meh. Compression ratio is 11.0:1, doubt you'd feel a difference. Don't think it would really impact starting. If it's a bear to start you may want to check that the choke is secured on the carb, then maybe go into the carb itself. A little bit of blockage, even a tiny bit, can have a very large effect on these carbs.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #352
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,098
Question MC rebuild kit ? and Help! Need headlight cover seal!

Hey folks,

Need to know (1)- will this Moose aftermarket KLR250 2000 model rear MC rebuild kit fit a front MC on a 1998? Bike Bandit can't give me piston measurements.
http://www.bikebandit.com/moose-raci...it?m=3648&td=1

and (2)- anyone got a used headlight cover seal lying around? They seem to be discontinued and EBay is no help. Part #49016A.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m3644#sch72346

thanks doodz!
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #353
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
I ride almost year round, the only time I don't ride as much is summer, my bike is not only for fun but it is a legitimate form of transportation for me, so something as inconvenient as starting fluid every morning would not be considered.
Clarifying, starting fluid is not intended for EVERY start, Nightfall; only in DIFFICULT CASES, as in, where you can't get your bike started.

Higher octane fuel won't inhibit starting; at 11:1, compression ratio, premium's not a bad choice, IMHO; I use it whenever available and wring that mill out to redline continuously . . . well, OFTEN, anyway!

As to cold starting, no need to holler before you're hit; throughout your state of Florida I think you'll have no temperature-related problems, year 'round.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #354
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Clarifying, starting fluid is not intended for EVERY start, Nightfall; only in DIFFICULT CASES, as in, where you can't get your bike started.

Higher octane fuel won't inhibit starting; at 11:1, compression ratio, premium's not a bad choice, IMHO; I use it whenever available and wring that mill out to redline continuously . . . well, OFTEN, anyway!

As to cold starting, no need to holler before you're hit; throughout your state of Florida I think you'll have no temperature-related problems, year 'round.
Oh, ok I thought you meant using the stuff every morning. lol

I'll try some premium in it and see how I like it, I figured the compression would be high enough to use it, I'll report back on the outcome.

Last winter it got down to 18*, it gets very cold here in N.Florida, believe it or not ...

- '01 KLR 250
Old 09-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #355
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Hey folks,

Need to know (1)- will this Moose aftermarket KLR250 2000 model rear MC rebuild kit fit a front MC on a 1998? Bike Bandit can't give me piston measurements.

and (2)- anyone got a used headlight cover seal lying around? They seem to be discontinued and EBay is no help. Part #49016A.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m3644#sch72346

thanks doodz!
I do believe that will work, they rarely changed a thing on these bikes in the late 80's or early 90's they switched to less aggressive cams and changed the seat design, that's about all I know of. I've also noticed how difficult it is to find body parts for these bikes on ebay, if you have a local stealership and are willing to pay the price, they could probably get the piece for you seeing as how these bikes have only been out of production for roughly 6 years.

- '01 KLR 250
Old 09-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #356
mutt550
restless soul

Oddometer: 39
Has anyone used the klx front forks on the klr jr? I was having e-start envy and was looking at the klx. The front ends look really beefy on them. I hate to jump ship on my little klr but the e-start has me really looking. Older+fatter=e-start.....
mutt550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #357
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Hey folks,

The KLR250 had rear drum for all years. I'm fairly certain they're referring to the KL250 Super Sherpa (which did have rear disc), especially when you look at the Moose Racing master cylinder rebuild kit application guide. I've found it helps to double-check everything. Nothing like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. At least that's what the ladies tell me
Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #358
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Took the twofiddy for a shakedown ride around the neighborhood. This is gonna be fun
Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #359
mutt550
restless soul

Oddometer: 39
38 deg this am and the little bike fired right up. Did a couple of slow kicks, turned ign on choked it and gave it a couple quick kicks veeeeroooomm. It was a cold ride to work..... but I was riding!!!!
mutt550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #360
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutt550 View Post
38 deg this am and the little bike fired right up. Did a couple of slow kicks, turned ign on choked it and gave it a couple quick kicks veeeeroooomm. It was a cold ride to work..... but I was riding!!!!
I hope I have the same experience lol

- '01 KLR 250