Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2009, 03:07 AM   #31
EYY
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Wink

[QUOTE=tirebiter]
If it's running good in stock form, don't mess with it, The 250 makes usable power.
Any mods you make will require Re-jetting, and that's usually a 3 month ordeal till ya get it right.
Trust me, the HP gains are minimal compared to the hassle required..

My advice is spend your time getting the suspension set up for your weight & riding conditions- get the bike to stick before you get it to kick.. [/QUOTE

I might still do it anyway, since i have all the tools, and i can do it myself.... but i dont have a jet drill around the size i want :( so i'll go around to some bike shops to try and find a jet.
I will really do anything for even the slightest improvement in power, as money is very limited (im 14yrs old and dont yet have a job). I just really want a bit more power to be able to keep up with my riding buddies... as it is, my stock bike surprisingly beats an 03 xr250 in a 200m race. although, takeoff is a little bit slow... and this is what i would like to improve, whilst still maintaining the 110km top speed...
Old 05-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #32
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,646
[quote=EYY]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebiter

If it's running good in stock form, don't mess with it, The 250 makes usable power.
Any mods you make will require Re-jetting, and that's usually a 3 month ordeal till ya get it right.
Trust me, the HP gains are minimal compared to the hassle required..

My advice is spend your time getting the suspension set up for your weight & riding conditions- get the bike to stick before you get it to kick.. [/QUOTE

I might still do it anyway, since i have all the tools, and i can do it myself.... but i dont have a jet drill around the size i want :( so i'll go around to some bike shops to try and find a jet.
I will really do anything for even the slightest improvement in power, as money is very limited (im 14yrs old and dont yet have a job). I just really want a bit more power to be able to keep up with my riding buddies... as it is, my stock bike surprisingly beats an 03 xr250 in a 200m race. although, takeoff is a little bit slow... and this is what i would like to improve, whilst still maintaining the 110km top speed...

You're fighting a very low first gear, and all the power in the world won't make a bit of difference. The KLR250 is what it is, and trying to make it faster by messing with the carb is more than likely going to cost you time and money and give you very little in the way of results, IMHO.

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #33
wsdbikes
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,280
[QUOTE=Bigger Al]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYY

You're fighting a very low first gear, and all the power in the world won't make a bit of difference. The KLR250 is what it is, and trying to make it faster by messing with the carb is more than likely going to cost you time and money and give you very little in the way of results, IMHO.
+1
AND, if you screw it up it will cost a bunch to have a pro fix it. Carb tuning is a black art. If you have never done it you will never get it right the first time. or the second and likely not the third.

Of course, it would be an adventure, take lots of pictures

You have to decide if you want to spend your time fixing something that isnt broke or uh....Riding.

Also, if your KLR beat an 03 XR 250 I would be suspect that the XR never got out of first gear.

If you want to keep up with your buddies, try heading out in the lead on some tight single track. then they have to keep up with you.

Good luck

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #34
EYY
n00b

Question

[QUOTE=wsdbikes]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al

+1
AND, if you screw it up it will cost a bunch to have a pro fix it. Carb tuning is a black art. If you have never done it you will never get it right the first time. or the second and likely not the third.

Of course, it would be an adventure, take lots of pictures

You have to decide if you want to spend your time fixing something that isnt broke or uh....Riding.

Also, if your KLR beat an 03 XR 250 I would be suspect that the XR never got out of first gear.

If you want to keep up with your buddies, try heading out in the lead on some tight single track. then they have to keep up with you.

Good luck
My father is a qualified mechanic, so i wont have any troubles with messing with the carb at all. Although, iv been thinking of swapping to an xr, or even some other carb, which just has the plain old cable operated round slide. I'v heard that the carby on the bike is what lets it down most performance wise.

The klr's and the xrs are actually very similar in HP. Well, the Klr's before 1990 anyway. So i dont see how this is of such a surprise to you. Although i expect the xr has a little more torque down low... Which is exactly what i'm looking for. My idea was that having the slide/cable operated carb may have given more controllable power. I can mono all of my mates bikes easily (xr's crf's etc.). I just want to be able to mono mine. Its really just that its not that responsive.... any more thoughts?

Thanks- EYY
Old 06-25-2009, 05:52 AM   #35
MWValley
Gadget Guy Supérieur

Oddometer: 628
Good luck, I hope you got the KLR jr. Nice bike.

Buy an owner's manual from Kawasaki. They're not much money and besides, that's copyright protected material. Somebody makes a copy of their own, and gives you the copy...they're stealing. I hate people who steal.

My two cents anyhow. Ride well, love the kick starter. It's easy to use and looks cool.

When life hands you melons, you could be dyslexic.

MWValley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #36
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCrusher
Does anyone have a PDF owners manual for the KLR250.

If all goes well, i'll be picking one up tommorrow.

Please send a link via PM if you do, thanks.

Are you talking about an owner's manual, or a shop manual?

Abraham Lincoln

Old 06-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #37
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Hey ValveCrusher, check yer PM's!!

Abraham Lincoln

Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #38
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 25,894
What is a 2004 KLR250 with 6,000 miles on it worth? No dents in the tank but some scratches on the plastics. Oversized tires - same TKC80s as go on a KLR650. Just tuned up and ready to ride. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure my wife is going to put hers on the market and I have no idea what to ask. Was going to start at $2,500 and hope for $2,250 but saw here that someone bought a 2005 for $1,500. Your opinions would be appreciated, it'll help her decide whether or not to sell it.
Hannda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #39
EYY
n00b

Laugh Valve clearances

I just realised that i had been adjusting my valves to .002" rather than .20mm lol whoops, that explains why it was so damn quiet! no damage done...... well there shouldnt be anyway haha....
Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #40
ddbuffalo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
KLR250 with engine swap

I noticed a KLR250 for sale locally by the original owner who had a motorcycle shop install a larger (370cc) engine. Assuming this was done by a professional shop, is there anything I should look for or think about involving a bike like this? thanks
ddbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #41
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
There was a question above about how difficult is it to kick start a KLR250. I bought a new 2001 that year and rode it for over 10,000 miles. I bought it because it had a kick start. With the kick start, you will never have to try to push start a bike off road in mud,loose gravel,sand etc.And it will still start and run with a dead battery. My KLR250 started so easily that it was never an issue. Mine almost always started first kick when cold even if it sat for 2-3 months in the winter. They are very good dual sport motorcycles. I eventually traded it in on a new KLR650, but I'm back with a smaller dual sport now-this time a 2007 Yamaha XT225.The XT gets lots better gas mileage and is almost as fast.The XT is certainly lower in seat heigth.My KLR250, once break in was over, usually got like 65 miles per gallon and that includes some freeway riding at 60 mph.The XT will get in the 90s even with some 55 mph and lots of 50 mph riding.

Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #42
some kid
on a motorbike

Oddometer: 180
Hopefully, by the end of the day I will be the new owner of this bike. Its less than a mile away, and its $950.
Photobucket
Old 10-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #43
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by some kid
Hopefully, by the end of the day I will be the new owner of this bike. Its less than a mile away, and its $950.
Looks like a great deal. You'll be a happy camper.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #44
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
Looks like a great deal. You'll be a happy camper.

Yep. My wife has put almost 4K miles on hers since March, and she loves it. Now, of course, she wants something bigger..................

Abraham Lincoln

Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #45
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
Yep. My wife has put almost 4K miles on hers since March, and she loves it. Now, of course, she wants something bigger..................
I've got a KLR650 and I'm thinking of going smaller. Considered the KLX250 with the 351 kit?