Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #481
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhiker View Post
search for a better front brakeperformance ..........maybe fit a steelhose in before swap any sugestion?

Galfer makes a direct fit braided Stainless Steel brake line for the KLR250 Part # D461-1

Cost @ $60. Thats about $35 cheaper than an OEM rubber one.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #482
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
Galfer makes a direct fit braided Stainless Steel brake line for the KLR250 Part # D461-1
Cost @ $60. Thats about $35 cheaper than an OEM rubber one.
Just for the sake of comparison, the Spiegler line was 59.95 with a part # of S-KA0001. I think KLR parts are a new venture for them. I can't speak to a quality comparison between Galfer and Spiegler.
I have a used OEM line you can have for postage.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #483
mmc45414
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Just for the sake of comparison, the Spiegler line was 59.95 with a part # of S-KA0001.
Thanks, they are local, might go there tomorrow.
mmc45414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #484
mmc45414
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
There are no bad bikes, just bad prices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0llemelk View Post
It's a running bike, or so I'm told.
As others said, this might be a fun project, but it is not at the market price. Go over to the Flea Market section and see what $1100 could buy you. I just bought/traded for my 2001 for ~$1500 and it needed tires (and optional battery, $25) but was functional and rideable, and I probably paid a little too much.

ETA: Just noticed in your post on KLR650 you are in The Netherlands, that changes everything. You know your market better than I do, maybe then the plan to take it apart together might be a good one. If it is leaking at the head gasket it might be obvious.

mmc45414 screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 06:43 AM
mmc45414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #485
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,046
Quote:
A few days ago I bought a 2000 KLR 250.

Currently, I'm addressing the dead-feeling front brake. I plan to replace the pads, add a steel brake line, and rebuild the caliper. It was suggested that I get new banjo bolts that are drilled for speed bleeders and I noted the earlier recommendation for a KLR 650 master cylinder.
If anyone wants to recommend places for parts I'm .
Personal opinion, a vacuum bleeder from Harbor Freight or the like is a better deal than speed bleeders. I can bleed a single disc system that is dry in about 3 minutes with the one I got for $30 from HF. If you do so, just remember to use low vacuum so you don't suck in air around the seals and have a friend there to fill the master cylinder when doing the front, although I am pretty sure I could do it now alone in a few minutes on my dual disc street bike.

I have bought stainless lines from ebay. Less than $30 for a single line is a decent deal, the price per line drops when you buy two and again at three. Measure the length needed, figure the banjo angles and order the line. I got a set of two for the Zephyr dual disc set up plus two more lines (4 total), under $100. They make them custom from your specs. I plan to do a set for the KLX650 some time soon. Reliable and good quality.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #486
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Personal opinion, a vacuum bleeder from Harbor Freight or the like is a better deal than speed bleeders.

I have bought stainless lines from ebay. Less than $30 for a single line is a decent deal, the price per line drops when you buy two and again at three. Measure the length needed, figure the banjo angles and order the line. I got a set of two for the Zephyr dual disc set up plus two more lines (4 total), under $100. They make them custom from your specs. I plan to do a set for the KLX650 some time soon. Reliable and good quality.
See my earlier post on renovating my front brake yesterday. I'm quite pleased with the result.
The speed bleeders and banjo bolts drilled for them were completely unnecessary in the end. I wish I could return them and if I can't they may end up in the Flea Market if I can get myself to bust open the system again. A single disc brake system is about as simple as you can get and shouldn't need doodads like speed bleeders.
I have a 5.00 bleeder helper that worked like a charm for me and has on my last three bikes though the HF unit is a deal at 25 bucks.
I've installed steel braided lines on a number of bikes and this is the first time I can say I felt an unmistakable improvement.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #487
MrBob
Certified Geezer

LED 1157 bulb

Today my Custom Dynamics LED 1157 bulb arrived. The part # is GEN-20-R-1157. Installing it in the rear bulb socket required a few minutes with my Dremel. The edges of the bulb cluster barely rub on the socket and prevent it from fully seating. A little grinding on the plastic edge of the socket and it was home.
Huge difference, the brake light is much brighter. You numbers people can work out how much amperage I saved.
The bulb cost me 32.95 and shipping from N.C. was 8.95. I'm sure the bulb will outlast the bike.
I'll post up photos eventually.
http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_lights.htm
Old 04-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #488
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,326
Shall we...

make sure the bulb is placed in the sarcophagus with you?

That's a pricey bulb!

Quote:
Today my Custom Dynamics LED 1157 bulb arrived. The part # is GEN-20-R-1157. Installing it in the rear bulb socket required a few minutes with my Dremel. The edges of the bulb cluster barely rub on the socket and prevent it from fully seating. A little grinding on the plastic edge of the socket and it was home.
Huge difference, the brake light is much brighter. You numbers people can work out how much amperage I saved.
The bulb cost me 32.95 and shipping from N.C. was 8.95. I'm sure the bulb will outlast the bike.
I'll post up photos eventually.
http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_lights.htm
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #489
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
make sure the bulb is placed in the sarcophagus with you?

That's a pricey bulb!
I'm planning to be cremated so it will be an heirloom. They'll probably cost 5 cents apiece by then.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #490
truck6driver
The Fireman

OK so I have this L'il KLR. (and in the hole already) It is not what I expected and I'm not fond of kicking it after my knee surgery.

I have many reasons to sell her but I want your input.

Tell me why I should keep the 250. Give me a sign of hope that says it is ok to drop more cash into the thing.

Ray
Old 04-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #491
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Quote:
OK so I have this L'il KLR. (and in the hole already) It is not what I expected and I'm not fond of kicking it after my knee surgery.

Sell it and get a Super Sherpa or any of the other perfectly adequate electric start 250cc dual sport bikes.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #492
truck6driver
The Fireman

Put some miles on the Li'l KLR today. @150

Old 04-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #493
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,923
Quote:

Tell me why I should keep the 250. Give me a sign of hope that says it is ok to drop more cash into the thing.

Ray
Must you kick it with your profiled leg, Ray, or . . . are BOTH your knees recovering from surgery?

(Just got back from a NC ride, centered about Nantahala Gorge; dream riding country for a KLR250 (or, for that matter, 'most anything else!).)

KLR250's forever!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #494
truck6driver
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Must you kick it with your profiled leg, Ray, or . . . are BOTH your knees recovering from surgery?

(Just got back from a NC ride, centered about Nantahala Gorge; dream riding country for a KLR250 (or, for that matter, 'most anything else!).)

KLR250's forever!
No it is my right knee only (for now).

Ray
Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #495
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Sell it and get a Super Sherpa or any of the other perfectly adequate electric start 250cc dual sport bikes.

I hate to say it but .... I was really happy with my KLRjr when I got it 8 years ago, it seemed really cool to have a kick start bike again. The 'honeymoon' did last a couple of years, it was a better dirt bike than anything I had ever owned (back in the 70s) and I got so that I could start it with one kick when it was cold (even by hand!) but I never did get it to where I could start it easily after a crash - which was basicly anytime I found any mud (pretty much every ride). Eventually I rode it less and less, bought a 'real' dirtbike (which had it's own starting issues, not to mention being very tall - I am an old, short, fat guy) with a button, and never looked much at the KLR except when I was thinking that I needed more room in the stable. So it has been 3 or 4 years since I rolled it out, had a chance to pick up an XT last year (we already had one just like it but it is 'hers') and now I am trying to decide whether to put the KLR AND the dirt bike (gasgas) up for sale and just use the more convenient and dependable bikes like the DR & XT. I can't really say anything bad about the KLR but after decades of dragging hose and climbing ladders my knees are not that happy about kick starting it, on the days that I DO feel like playing with a kicker ... I have more interesting (to me now), vintage stuff to play with.
YMMV, good luck.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote