ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #601
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger
 
newcastleadam's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Oddometer: 3,454
The turn signal switch was a bit sticky, decided to pull it and clean it up. Not a big deal, I've dealt with the switches before and know to watch out for springs, balls, etc. Should have left this one alone cause when I pulled it out the switch housing was in pieces and the shaft of the toggle switch had busted off. Seems to have taken a hit at some point.

Managed to put it back together using a cutoff 4d nail and superglue, no improvement in function. Don't believe I'll be taking it out again...
__________________
Adam
86 KLR250 01 KLR685 06 K1200LT
As ever, buyer and seller of all things KLR
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #602
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 27,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
The turn signal switch was a bit sticky, decided to pull it and clean it up. Not a big deal, I've dealt with the switches before and know to watch out for springs, balls, etc. Should have left this one alone cause when I pulled it out the switch housing was in pieces and the shaft of the toggle switch had busted off. Seems to have taken a hit at some point.

Managed to put it back together using a cutoff 4d nail and superglue, no improvement in function. Don't believe I'll be taking it out again...
They make a replacement switch that's fairly inexpensive, has "push to cancel" for the directionals and, IIRC, has the high/low switch all in one unit.

Edit: There is an aftermarket switch available like I've described above, Kawasaki doesn't make it.

Post Edit:

http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/parts_frames.html

charging system is doing
Left Hand Plug n Play Switch PIC16-0030KLR650 Plug n Play87.95Push to Cancel Turn Signal, Head Light/ High-Low-Off - Parking - Passing, Horn, 16"wire, Nine pin connector Will also need Mirror Adapter sold below

Hannda screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 03:55 PM
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #603
8gv
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: North central CT
Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
The turn signal switch was a bit sticky, decided to pull it and clean it up. Not a big deal, I've dealt with the switches before and know to watch out for springs, balls, etc. Should have left this one alone cause when I pulled it out the switch housing was in pieces and the shaft of the toggle switch had busted off. Seems to have taken a hit at some point.

Managed to put it back together using a cutoff 4d nail and superglue, no improvement in function. Don't believe I'll be taking it out again...
4d galv?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #604
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger
 
newcastleadam's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Oddometer: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
4d galv?
Yup.

Yes, I am aware that there are both aftermarket and a huge plethora of used (since it share the same switch housing as the KLR650), but there is a hard deadline involved. Otherwise I'd be on eBay with a shopping list
__________________
Adam
86 KLR250 01 KLR685 06 K1200LT
As ever, buyer and seller of all things KLR
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #605
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fire Escape's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Epsom, NH
Oddometer: 1,467
Current Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
In your sig line, are those the bike you have owned or currently own? My wife thinks one is enough.

Those bikes, the wife's matching XT (no we didn't really need two) and an Mv7 currently share space here with a dozen boats (all small, most human powered). The downside to having a 'fleet' rather than one (can't imagine being that limited) or two bikes is that several haven't been ridden in the last year or two, don't know if I will ever get around to putting the Husky into shape - bought it broken and so it remains but it is just like the last dirt bike I owned back when I could claim to really be a dirt rider so ...
I maintain the premise that you 'need' different bikes for different rides, when did you see someone head out to play golf with one club? The process is made somewhat easier by being old, I have had years to collect this bunch and more importantly by having chosen to have toys rather than kids or a nice house. Perhaps I am fortunate, my wife has always been happy to have me spend money on a hobby rather than on drinking, gambling or ? I never planned on accumulating quite this many, the last two were somewhat accidental, I came across the Scram as a discounted leftover when in a weak moment, predicated by having been weeks accumulating the parts to fix the SuperGlide. My XT formerly belonged to my best friend who has passed away due to esophogeal cancer.


Bruce
__________________
No one calls the Fire Department because they did something smart!
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #606
8gv
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: North central CT
Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Those bikes, the wife's matching XT (no we didn't really need two) and an Mv7 currently share space here with a dozen boats (all small, most human powered). The downside to having a 'fleet' rather than one (can't imagine being that limited) or two bikes is that several haven't been ridden in the last year or two, don't know if I will ever get around to putting the Husky into shape - bought it broken and so it remains but it is just like the last dirt bike I owned back when I could claim to really be a dirt rider so ...
I maintain the premise that you 'need' different bikes for different rides, when did you see someone head out to play golf with one club? The process is made somewhat easier by being old, I have had years to collect this bunch and more importantly by having chosen to have toys rather than kids or a nice house. Perhaps I am fortunate, my wife has always been happy to have me spend money on a hobby rather than on drinking, gambling or ? I never planned on accumulating quite this many, the last two were somewhat accidental, I came across the Scram as a discounted leftover when in a weak moment, predicated by having been weeks accumulating the parts to fix the SuperGlide. My XT formerly belonged to my best friend who has passed away due to esophogeal cancer.


Bruce
Golf for me = three clubs and a case of balls
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #607
Jeremiah
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Jeremiah's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: S.E. Pa
Oddometer: 131
Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Golf for me = three clubs and a case of balls
Shouldn't that be 3 balls and a case of beer? When the balls are gone we get down to business.
__________________
DL1000K3
R65
R100S
GL1800
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #608
MrBob
Jambo!
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I got my bike nicely jetted for elevation but the trade off seems to be hard starting. I've gone from one or two kicks for the first start of the day to a bunch of kicks until it fires. Once it has been started, subsequent starts are usually one kick.
What is the starting procedure that works best for you?
My valves were adjusted about 500 miles ago and the sparkplug and air filter are new.
I don't know if others have had this problem, but giving a good kick on the arm often mashes my foot into the peg.
This evening I tried pulling the peg, removing the spring, and tightening the pinch bolt. Now, I can fold up the peg and clear it with the kick starter. A light tap on the peg with the toe of my boot and it falls back into place.
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #609
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fire Escape's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Epsom, NH
Oddometer: 1,467
Laugh Mashed Foot - Kick Starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I don't know if others have had this problem, but giving a good kick on the arm often mashes my foot into the peg.
This evening I tried pulling the peg, removing the spring, and tightening the pinch bolt. Now, I can fold up the peg and clear it with the kick starter. A light tap on the peg with the toe of my boot and it falls back into place.


Yes more than one has had that issue! I heated and reshaped the lever so that I could keep my foot 'outside' of the peg. Someone recently had pictures of how they shortened the lever so that it ended up even with or above the peg which looked like a great solution to me. There was a time when I could just start it by hand, that avoided the whole issue but wasn't exactly easier.


Bruce
__________________
No one calls the Fire Department because they did something smart!
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #610
MrBob
Jambo!
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Yes more than one has had that issue! I heated and reshaped the lever so that I could keep my foot 'outside' of the peg. Someone recently had pictures of how they shortened the lever so that it ended up even with or above the peg which looked like a great solution to me.
That was me playing around in the welding shop. I've switched back and forth between a shortened and stock kick start arm and I think the shortened one will work better now with the peg out of the way.

__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #611
8gv
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: North central CT
Oddometer: 2,263
When you get your bike to start on half a kick you won't hit the foot peg.

Try this:

Fuel tap left on all the time, even for two weeks of non use.

Enrichment lever on full.

Throttle at idle.

With bike on side stand, stand tall and gently push the kicker down half way.
You will feel one compression stroke. If you missed it, do it again.

Give a good swift half kick.

It now runs and is increasing in speed so start backing off the choke to stay under 2000 rpm.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #612
MrBob
Jambo!
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
When you get your bike to start on half a kick you won't hit the foot peg.

Try this:

Fuel tap left on all the time, even for two weeks of non use.

Enrichment lever on full.

Throttle at idle.

With bike on side stand, stand tall and gently push the kicker down half way.
You will feel one compression stroke. If you missed it, do it again.

Give a good swift half kick.

It now runs and is increasing in speed so start backing off the choke to stay under 2000 rpm.
Another turn out of the mixture screw to 3 turns, get on the compression stroke, half choke, one kick and she fires yesterday evening as I'm off for my ride in the countryside to watch the sun set behind the rockies.
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #613
250kicker
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Today my Custom Dynamics LED 1157 bulb arrived. The part # is GEN-20-R-1157. Installing it in the rear bulb socket required a few minutes with my Dremel. The edges of the bulb cluster barely rub on the socket and prevent it from fully seating. A little grinding on the plastic edge of the socket and it was home.
Huge difference, the brake light is much brighter. You numbers people can work out how much amperage I saved.
The bulb cost me 32.95 and shipping from N.C. was 8.95. I'm sure the bulb will outlast the bike.
I'll post up photos eventually.
http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_lights.htm
I just bought this bulb after reading your post WOW its bright- kinda made me think the brake light was stuck on so i hit the brakes and it got even brighter. I was all ready with the dremal tool but didnt need it at all. I got the same part # (off you) I have a 1999 KLR250. i pulled the old bulb out and this one spun, locked and slipped right it with NO modifications. you sure you needed to dremal or maybe model years different or something? anyways...great investment.

250kicker screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 06:20 PM Reason: modifications not needed for mine.
250kicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #614
MrBob
Jambo!
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kicker View Post
I just bought this bulb after reading your post WOW its bright- kinda made me think the brake light was stuck on so i hit the brakes and it got even brighter. I was all ready with the dremal tool but didnt need it at all. I got the same part # (off you) I have a 1999 KLR250. i pulled the old bulb out and this one spun, locked and slipped right it with NO modifications. you sure you needed to dremal or maybe model years different or something? anyways...great investment.
My bulb seems unaffected by the dust and vibration of all the trail riding I've been doing and I'm quite pleased with it. I'd like to find an LED substitute for the headlight and save even more amps for my heated grips. Did you get a coupon with your bulb?
In my case, I did need to slightly chamfer the lower edge of the white plastic to get the bulb in without forcing it but, YMMV. The Dremel was perfect for that.
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #615
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger
 
newcastleadam's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Oddometer: 3,454
Sold my '98 KLR250 the other day, made me

Then picked up a project '86 KLR250 today, made me

__________________
Adam
86 KLR250 01 KLR685 06 K1200LT
As ever, buyer and seller of all things KLR
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014