Old 07-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #631
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrs Garage View Post
Float level for the win!
Glad you got it running!

Otherwise, the float height is 17 mm or thereabouts, IIRC; or . . . adjusted 'til the fuel level in the clear tube is even with the float bowl/carb body juncture.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #632
trailhiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
My last trailrides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSap-...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a5FTrllU-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT_K4...feature=relmfu
trailhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #633
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,225
That oughta show those snotty KTM riders what our bikes can do. What tires are you using?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #634
JBruyet
Mountain chaser

Oddometer: 64
Well, since this is a KLR250 thread I'll just jump right in here. I have an '01 that ran really good when I bought it about five years ago. Unfortunately I let it sit one winter without putting anything in the gas tank. Come spring I couldn't get it started and had to take it down to a local shop. They were able to get it running but it lost a fair amount of oomph. It's been back a couple of times but the power isn't where it was yet. I found a guy on the internet who does carbs so I thought I'd give it a shot and sent my carb to him. He gave me a little more bottom end but I still don't have the power I used to have. One of my before/after tests is where the highway goes up a decent hill. I used to be able to accelerate from 60 up that hill but I can barely maintain 60 now, and that with a one tooth smaller counter shaft sprocket. I'm starting to think it's something other than the carb but what? Other than the reduced power it runs great: it starts good, it idles good, no burbles or back fires, just not as much power. Any and all ideas, suggestions and recommendations will be considered.

Thanks,

Joe B
JBruyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #635
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBruyet View Post
Well, since this is a KLR250 thread I'll just jump right in here. I have an '01 that ran really good when I bought it about five years ago. Unfortunately I let it sit one winter without putting anything in the gas tank. Come spring I couldn't get it started and had to take it down to a local shop. They were able to get it running but it lost a fair amount of oomph. It's been back a couple of times but the power isn't where it was yet. I found a guy on the internet who does carbs so I thought I'd give it a shot and sent my carb to him. He gave me a little more bottom end but I still don't have the power I used to have. One of my before/after tests is where the highway goes up a decent hill. I used to be able to accelerate from 60 up that hill but I can barely maintain 60 now, and that with a one tooth smaller counter shaft sprocket. I'm starting to think it's something other than the carb but what? Other than the reduced power it runs great: it starts good, it idles good, no burbles or back fires, just not as much power. Any and all ideas, suggestions and recommendations will be considered.
Just took a break from my twofiddy project, saw your post.

Honestly, sounds like it's still a carb/fuel delivery issue. Suggest pull the carb, take it apart, dunk it in a bucket of the most vicious parts cleaner you can find and let it sit overnight. Get a rebuild kit (bowl gasket and float needle, on eBay for ~$12), clean every orifice and reassemble.

Secondary, check that your fuel mix screw is set correctly. This comes with a plug over it from the factory, which you can remove to mess with. Here's a basic overview of the Keihin CVK40 carb, which is roughly the same as the KLR250 Keihin CVK34 carb. Here's another link about the CVK34 carb specifically (think the blogger is an inmate here).
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #636
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,225
Quote:
Other than the reduced power it runs great: it starts good, it idles good, no burbles or back fires, just not as much power. Any and all ideas, suggestions and recommendations will be considered.

Thanks,

Joe B
What color is your sparkplug? How worn is it and what is the gap? When were the valves last adjusted? Does it use any oil or smoke?
If your top speed is lower look to your main jet. If the mid-range is off look to your needle setting and pop it up one slot at a time.
Look at the simple and inexpensive stuff first, like sparkplug and turning your mixture screw out a little further.
This might be helpful:
http://www.ehow.com/list_5916690_cvk...ning-tips.html
I once had my carb adjusted at a shop using a Exhaust Gas Analyzer and it was by far the best adjustment.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #637
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Just pulled the clutch cover off my project 1986 KLR250 "Let's Go Mets" edition. Wasn't going to at first, then decided it's a good thing to doublecheck. Glad I did, cause it was missing the mesh oil strainer and the kickstarter thrust washer. Need to look through my parts bin, should have some spares. Extra bugs though . And the water impeller was on with a locknut. Yeah, it's definitely a project.

Taking the old water pump seal from the clutch cover is killing me. The KLR650 bolt method doesn't seem to work, and I think I ganked it pretty good already. Anyone have a tip?

newcastleadam screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 02:03 PM
Old 07-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #638
trailhiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
That oughta show those snotty KTM riders what our bikes can do. What tires are you using?
Front Metzeler MCE ,rear sheng shin c-755.in the early eightys a italian pro (Guglielmo Andreini) use a slidley modified KLR 600 in the european Enduro championship and ride into the top ten!.

http://klr650.de/viewtopic.php?p=14307&highlight=#14307

trailhiker screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 04:11 PM
trailhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #639
Thebrassnuckles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Does anyone know what choke kit I need to eliminate the cable and run the choke directly off the carb? And where to get it?
Thebrassnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #640
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebrassnuckles View Post
Does anyone know what choke kit I need to eliminate the cable and run the choke directly off the carb? And where to get it?
Uses the same choke setup as the KLR650, try this page of the KLR 650 Modifications thread, starting at post 3166. However, unlike the 650 the 250 has the coolant reservoir in front of the carb, makes changing the choke a bit more challenging. Curious what you come up with.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #641
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Uses the same choke setup as the KLR650, try this page of the KLR 650 Modifications thread, starting at post 3166.
That's page # 212.

Is your air filter clean? Is your "choke" (starting enricher) plunger fully seated in the carb when OFF?

Otherwise, I've found the stock CVK34 most serviceable, properly cleaned and adjusted. Might not hurt to shim the needle one washer (haven't felt the need, myself), and back out the fuel screw to around 1.75 turns.

From idle to redline, my '03 CVK34 "gits 'er done!"
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #642
Thebrassnuckles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
My lever is broken, rather replace it I'd just prefer to eliminate it preventing future breaks. I saw a website once upon a time that had a link but I cant seem to find it. It said something about the same kit as a Harley, because it still needs a short cable. I want the choke knob/lever whatever to be under the gas tank. So I reach down to turn it on and off.
Thebrassnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #643
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebrassnuckles View Post
My lever is broken, rather replace it I'd just prefer to eliminate it preventing future breaks. I saw a website once upon a time that had a link but I cant seem to find it. It said something about the same kit as a Harley, because it still needs a short cable. I want the choke knob/lever whatever to be under the gas tank. So I reach down to turn it on and off.
My earlier link had that info. You're looking for Harley short choke cable, p/n 29229-88C. Drag Specialties will have a generic version. You will have to fab a mount for it.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #644
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Anyone have any tips for removing the water pump seal from the clutch cover? Rear access is more limited than the 650, can't seem to figure this out. Doesn't help that this is probably the same seal from 1986
Old 07-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #645
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
Follow the air...

Maybe a critter nested in your airbox? Have you checked your valve clearance?

Quote:

Thanks,

Joe B
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote