Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #91
Gvilleracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsdbikes
Looked about right for a good KLR . I assume it wasnt actually running thus, tearing it down?
Yup, not a runner, but the price was right. Well it would fire but stall within seconds and fuel was pouring out the overflow, ya for stuck float valves!
It has, like most barn finds, spent some time in storage with old gas in the carb. Judging buy the build up I found in the carb bowl, I would say it sat for close to one year.

My freind scored a bucket of carb/parts cleaner from work last night. The carb is getting dissasembled and cleaned tonight. Of course our carb has already ben tampered with I notice the brass plug is already drilled out and the plastic choke cable fatener thing is gone. So, now i have to find a way to secure the choke to the carb.

Things coming in the mail so far: via EBAY.....FTW
1. New brake and clutch levers.
2. new choke lever for left handlebar control, from KLR650
3.new throttle tube for a 96 KLR 250...hope it works.
4. UNI dual stage filter

hopefully this stuff will arrive shortly and we can start reassembly.

Cam stopped at cycle accesories last night:
1. renthal grips
2. new NGK spark plug

While we are waiting for these parts to arrive we will be doing a lot of grinding sanding and painting! hope to clean the frame up real nice
Gvilleracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #92
tankster64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Talking New owner

I got one last friday. 05 3400 miles, seems to be in great shape.
First ride on Saturday. This is my first dual sport bike. Had big fun. Road, trails, sand pits, hill climbing. I think I am going to be very happy with the 250.
Tried to upload a picture. But no luck.
tankster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #93
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Weak front brakes?

My front brakes on my 2001 didnt work real good when I bought the bike about a month ago. I could pull the handle all way back to the grip if I pulled real hard. I tried getting the air out of the system even used the vaccum pump to pull the air out but it didnt seem to help. I read on some other sites that other guy have the same problem so I bought a complete used front brake system off ebay from a DR650. I was going to put the master cyl. and the line on but thought I would try the master cyl. first. after bleeding the system I now have 100% better feel in the handle and alot more stoping power. I can lock the front wheel up on dry black top. The 650 banjo bolt also has alot bigger hole in it. Hope this helps. Alan

alansz400 screwed with this post 03-10-2010 at 08:01 PM
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #94
Gvilleracer
Gnarly Adventurer

^^^

Do you happen to know if you changed piston sizes with this swap?

This is a great find!
But, i would love to know if the feel is much better because your old one was just worn out, or if the dr650 master pushes more fluid?

Either way, great find, this will be on my list, the KLR im rebuilding couldn't even lock its front brake coming backwards down the ramp form the bed of my truck....LOL!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #95
wsdbikes
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400
My front brakes on my 2001 didnt work real good when I bought the bike about a month ago. I could pull the handle all way back to the grip if I pulled real hard. I tried getting the air out of the system even used the vaccum pump to pull the air out but it didnt seem to help. I read on some other sites that other guy have the same problem so I bought a complete used front brake system off ebay from a DR650. I was going to put the master cyl. and the line on but thought I would try the master cyl. first. after bleeding the system I now have 100% better feel in the handle and alot more stoping power. I can lock the front wheel up on dry black top. The 650 banjo bolt also has alot bigger hole in it. Hope this helps. Alan
My KLR never went fast enough to need a front brake.

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #96
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvilleracer
^^^

Do you happen to know if you changed piston sizes with this swap?

This is a great find!
But, i would love to know if the feel is much better because your old one was just worn out, or if the dr650 master pushes more fluid?

Either way, great find, this will be on my list, the KLR im rebuilding couldn't even lock its front brake coming backwards down the ramp form the bed of my truck....LOL!

I took the 250 master cyl. apart and the bore looked good as did the rubbers on the shaft. (The bike only has 5000 miles on it) I was going to buy the parts to rebuild the klr one but it was 30$. I looked at the bike shop and it looks like the master cyl. on any brand of dual sport will work as long as it has the brake light switch. I bought the DR650 one so if it didnt work I would have parts for my DR. Not sure about the bore size.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #97
Gvilleracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok,so here's how the weekend went down.
Every time one of us said "There is no need to take that off"...the other would say "but it would be easy, c'mon, its two bolts..."

which lead to this!

Yes, we were very proud to display our victory.....let me explain the carnage...

when we left off last time, the motor was still in as well as the front end and swing arm.
The plan was to tape everything off a spray bomb our little trail beater.
Well, Cameron!!!!! wanted to do the job right...blah blah balh
So, we decided to pull a few more things(I knew no good could come of this)

Out comes the motor along with a few broken bolts!
The bolts that hold the plastic cover over the front sproket broke when I looked at them!

Eww

Well, with this great feat accomplished. Cam took a moment to ponder the possibilties..
Who says a 250 cant compete at the salt flats!

Off with its head! Bearings are in great shap, so a clean and re-pack is all thats needed here.

Now, this is when tools started flying out of the garage, into streets, and children playing near by learned new vocabulary!
Time for the swing arm to come out!
Easier said than done when working with a rusted relic that was obviously dragged behind Noah's Ark!

After many beatings with a sledge!

30 min and two cans of PB Blaster later...
Dude, I'm telling you I soooo moved it and inch!!!!

I did what I could to save the threads, but I just cant resist a high grade steel!

Its def muffed. So I ordered a new one off ebay for $4.95 that will arrive soon, I hope.

Cam really wore himself down beating this one out!......hehehehehehe

PS, if anyone doesn't already know (we didn't) here is where your rear adjuster is on the shock. under a small plastic cover.
And 5lbs of soil that has cured to the consistency of a clay brick, if your bike is like ours!

So, this is what lead to the display of grousome destruction hanging from the tree like 3rd-world lawn art!
We got some sort of satisfaction from showing the whole three cars that past by our acheivment... We are man!

Just in time... my wife showed up to help the two gorrilas re-assemble the crippled machine.
And she comes bearing gifts.....Subway $5 foot-longs

Now don't start singing the commercial tune, stay focused here!

After we wipped out a few subs, we got back to work!
Christa taped up the rear rim for paint, covering the rim and brake areas. Since the spokes and inner hubs will be flat balck.
I started painting up side covers and little what-nots.

So, wifey seeing that all was going fine decided to go home and do somethig of greater value (closet sorting!...Ooooooo)

and Cam...where is Cam...

Captain Bolt Snapper Attack!!!!!

After much air grinding, sanding, cleaning, it came out real nice.
But, we have picked a paint that was a tad to Silver, not the aluminum look we anticipated.

So, we got a few other things primed and painted; but, things moved so fast we failed to take pics!

Dad actually finished rebuilding our carb and gave that to us.
Knowing that we were going to be runnig the airbox mod and a Jardine pipe. Which is quiet but slightly better flowing than stock.
He decided to fatten up the low speed circut from closed to 1/3 throttle.
Adding some fuel here will keep response and low end torque where it should be, as well as cruising temps low.
By having a little extra unburnt fuel to pull heat out. I know this sounds wastefull but...
I can't stand lean-pops on decel, so he wanted to be sure their wern't any!

We spent a few minuets picking at dad for using Harley parts in our carb.
He found that the rediculously lean pilot jet from a 883 Sportster could give our 250 the flow we wanted with our mods.
That, and it was laying there and ours was clogged beyond beleif! So, I'll let ya know how it runs!

Then a sound rolled into the garage with a presence that could only be created by the clanketty thump of a classic British big twin.....
Or Christas' GS500 with a blown out Yosh pipe, LOL. (its bark really is much more respectable than its bite)

Wife had to stop by to make sure that we ate a healthy meal!

All in all we had great weekend and enjoyed working on the bike with freinds and family!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #98
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECDLTF
It has 1600 miles right now. I think that I'll wait a little longer before I take on the valve adjustment job. Thanks for the help and the link. Have a good evening.
If it's hard to start do the valves now. They were probably not done at the 500 mile service - probably didn't have a 500 mile service if you're finding it hard to start.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #99
ECDLTF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hard Starting

Thanks for the tip. It's starting fine now. It was more my lack of experience and not the bike. I ordered a KLR600 manual and just need to buy the supplement for the KLR250. I won't adjust the valves until I get a little more familiar with the operation of the bike. I just learning to ride and familiarize myself with the bike. Thanks again for the help. Have a good evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
If it's hard to start do the valves now. They were probably not done at the 500 mile service - probably didn't have a 500 mile service if you're finding it hard to start.
ECDLTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #100
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Sprocket bolt torque values please

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the torque values for the countershaft sprocket bolts and the rear sprocket bolts? I'm not lazy, it's just that my service manuals have not arrived yet

My bike's an '03 KLR 250, by the way.

Thanks,
HandKPhil

HandKPhil screwed with this post 03-22-2010 at 09:36 PM
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #101
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

My new '03 KLR 250

Here's my new (to me) '03 KLR 250. Since buying it a few weeks ago I've changed all fluids and filters, replaced the tubes and tires, installed new grips, replaced the chain and sprockets, and had the valves adjusted. Today I installed a gently used front rotor (mine was a little too groovy), and replaced the front pads with EBC Carbon models. I also made the back platform that holds the Pelican pistol case. I made the platform out of 3/8" luan plywood, coated it in marine epoxy, then gave it a couple of coats of Army green epoxy ammo can paint.

I've probably put about 500-600 miles on the bike so far, and it's given me no trouble whatsoever. Last weekend I took it on a 3 day trail-riding adventure in the Mid-Michigan area. All in all I'm very happy with it so far.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #102
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,715
A gal on the site is considering buying my wife's '04 KLR250. She wants to know if there are any "universal" racks that will fit the KLR250 to hold soft luggage - like DirtBagz or the soft panniers she currently owns. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #103
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Tool Bag Relocation Bracket

Since I removed the toolbag from my '03 KLR 250 to make room for a rack to hold a small Pelican case, I decided to relocate the tool bag to the spot just above the front fender. There just happens to be two unused bolt holes there, so I used them to bolt my homemade tool bag bracket to the bike. First step was to make a wooden bottom for the toolbag, out of some 1/4" luan plywood I had lying around. I used the toolbag itself as a template to locate the bolt holes that I used to bolt the bag and wooden bottom to my metal relocation bracket.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #104
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Cutting the sheetmetal

Next step was to cut out the material for the bracket itself, out of some heavy-gauge sheet metal:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #105
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Assembling the parts

I used the wooden bottom to locate the holes on my metal bracket. Next I inserted the wooden bottom into the bag, and put the original toolbag bolts through the holes: