ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #106
GSFletch OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Ah! This morning on my way to work I watched a croch-rocket take a nose dive. I was in the left lane on north ave. behind a van that had slowed down to let someone turn in front of us into Humbolt park when a guy cuts up the middle of the lane between me and two other cars. Just barely misses the turning car and goes over the handles on to the pavement. Must have been the dumest biker i've ever seen. As he picks up his bike and starts to yell at the other driver he starts to plea with me to help him be a whitness. I just shook my head in disbelief. Just Stupid.
-I will be the first to admit that I am a new and unexperianced rider. But this accedent happened no less than 3blocks from where the guy died last week.
-This leads me to to my real question. Is riding a motorcycle really that dangerous(sp?), or is just that there are too many people on motorcycles doing things that they shouldn't?
GSFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:32 AM   #107
Merle O'Broham
too beaucoup

Oddometer: 1,625
I imagine there's a positive correlation between level of retartedness and death rate. Man, you see some stupid shit out there- stuff that doesn't make the papers. Sure, motorcycling is dangerous compared to caging, but not too often do you hear of a safe rider buying it. It's most often young, inexperienced, overpowered bike, no helmet, etc etc. I feel bad for that young fella's parents.
Merle O'Broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:16 AM   #108
Dakar dreamer
Dave rocker

Oddometer: 189
Was the sport bike rider even wearing a helmet?

Aggresive riding in traffic is just plain dumb and one is just setting themselves up for an accident whether it's their fault or not.
Dakar dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:52 AM   #109
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSFletch
Ah! This morning on my way to work I watched a croch-rocket take a nose dive. I was in the left lane on north ave. behind a van that had slowed down to let someone turn in front of us into Humbolt park when a guy cuts up the middle of the lane between me and two other cars. Just barely misses the turning car and goes over the handles on to the pavement. Must have been the dumest biker i've ever seen. As he picks up his bike and starts to yell at the other driver he starts to plea with me to help him be a whitness. I just shook my head in disbelief. Just Stupid.
-I will be the first to admit that I am a new and unexperianced rider. But this accedent happened no less than 3blocks from where the guy died last week.
-This leads me to to my real question. Is riding a motorcycle really that dangerous(sp?), or is just that there are too many people on motorcycles doing things that they shouldn't?
I guess my take on it is that there is definitely danger inherent in any activity that involves moving objects and hard surfaces. Ralph Nader would tend to agree as well. The question is, how do you mitigate that risk? Obviously for all of uss the consequences of an accident are the same. However, doing things like taking an MSF course, wearing your gear, using turn signals, horns, headlights, etc. seem like they lower the odds of having to suffer those consequences.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #110
StromBoni
Hot Dog Captain

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSFletch
Fletch, where do you work? If that was North Ave in Humboldt, you were right in my hood. Being in my hood, this story makes total sense. I see that stuff all the time out on the West side.
StromBoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #111
picnics
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I know the biker was dopey. But I hate when people stop or slow down on a 4 lane road like north or fullerton, to let someone turn in front of them. i've seen so many accidents from people riding up alongside in the other lane and they crash into the turning car. Its bad out there. Has anyone noticed the new messages on the sign boards on the edens warning that they are actively ticketing reckless motorcycle operators?
picnics
picnics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:58 AM   #112
bfd70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
aunty Em aunty Em it's a twister!
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 AM   #113
StromBoni
Hot Dog Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd70
aunty Em aunty Em it's a twister!
Yeah, and guess who got caught out in that twister on his moto-bike and no rain gear.

Yup, me.

It was great fun though. Once you resign yourself to being completely soaked, it is a ton of fun to go splashing through the puddles in a 65 mph cross-wind.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #114
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,313
I saw a guy under an overpass on south bound 94 last night, sitting next to his bike, working on a laptop. Was that you?
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:54 AM   #115
StromBoni
Hot Dog Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach
I saw a guy under an overpass on south bound 94 last night, sitting next to his bike, working on a laptop. Was that you?
Nope, I tend to do my computer work at home. I prefer to use my time sitting under the underpasses waiting out storms and satisfying that bi-monthly craving for some Mad Dog 20/20.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #116
djmase
something catchy.

Oddometer: 286
The Wisconsin crew is putting together a shindig on Sat night. Thought I would let you guys know incase some Chi ppl feel like meeting some new folks. Cannon does great stuff for adv...a little love would be nice.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=406
Not a bad ride if you are a Northsider..... http://maps.google.com/maps?q=juneau...=1&ie=UTF8&z=8
Cheers.
djmase
Old 08-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #117
GSFletch OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by StromBoni
Fletch, where do you work? If that was North Ave in Humboldt, you were right in my hood. Being in my hood, this story makes total sense. I see that stuff all the time out on the West side.

I work at Spring Restaurant on North in Wicker park. I saw a rider on a black k today. In full gear? Its my lovely life that i'm pretty much here all of the time, even right now its 1 am and I've been here since 10:30 this morning. So you probably drive past my bike more than i get to ride it.
GSFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #118
bfd70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
was planning on riding cannontracks SE WI lake tour route either tues or wed. anybody have the day off and interested?
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #119
tathambenjamin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Dekalb....

hey....anyone know of Airhead guys out near Dekalb? Imhaving some problems with my bike and looking around for anyone knowledgable in my area interested in taking a look at it. Thanks.....

Ben
tathambenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #120
R80Camper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tathambenjamin
hey....anyone know of Airhead guys out near Dekalb? Imhaving some problems with my bike and looking around for anyone knowledgable in my area interested in taking a look at it. Thanks.....

Ben
Al Sloan (ABC Airmashall for Illinois) lives in Hinckley and is a great guy and helluva wrench. His email is type247@gmail.com.
Y2K VN750 (40F+ for commuting)
83 R80RT (tired after 90K miles) ABC#6326
R80Camper is offline   Reply With Quote