ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #121
R80Camper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tathambenjamin
hey....anyone know of Airhead guys out near Dekalb? Imhaving some problems with my bike and looking around for anyone knowledgable in my area interested in taking a look at it. Thanks.....

Ben
... and if you're bike is not running, my son is a grad student at NIU who has my pickup/ramp/tie downs and works at the Convo Center. If you need to be carted to Al's, let me know.
Y2K VN750 (40F+ for commuting)
83 R80RT (tired after 90K miles) ABC#6326
R80Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #122
tathambenjamin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Whoaaa

Hey, so it just so happens that I spent the day making phone calls to find friends who might be able to do just that....

I havent contacted Al yet, but I would be more than happy to pay your son to help me out if I can get ahold of Al.....

I will post here or PM once I get things figured out.

And may I take this opportunity to say that I am floored at how helpful everyone has been. At least 5 people I dont know in the slightest have volunteered their time, sweat, expertise, garage, etc. to help me out. If I had known that everyone else who owned a bike/ airhead would be half this helpful I would have bought two... . Hmmm, thats a damn good idea now that I mention it......

Thanks is what I am trying to say.
tathambenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #123
VanXR
nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/

Oddometer: 365
I'm out visiting the in-laws and REALLY need a break. Where is the closest BMW dealership from Aurora that I can pick up a shirt or two and drool over the GS's while I re-engergize my batteries to spend more "Quality" time with the "Family"?
1978 TT500 (Original owner); 07 Yamaha WR450 street legal;03 XR 250 street legal (Mrs. XR)
VanXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #124
gettr
Team Turtle

Oddometer: 686
The nearest I can think of is probably Barrington.... Just take Rt 59 north...
gettr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #125
VanXR
nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/

Oddometer: 365
Thanks Dennis. I was thinking Barrington or there's one on Western that I could take the train to. Good selection at both??
1978 TT500 (Original owner); 07 Yamaha WR450 street legal;03 XR 250 street legal (Mrs. XR)
VanXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #126
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD

Oddometer: 864
go to chicago bmw,i don't think barrington location got ant t's for sale and in my opinion thy costumer skills suck.
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #127
djmase
something catchy.

Oddometer: 286
The one on western is pretty small but has a good number of bikes crammed in there. I drove by on Sunday and he looked like he had some fun things inside. The GM is a really kosher guy...that is about all I know.

djmase
Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #128
tathambenjamin
Studly Adventurer

boo

you sir want to go to motoworks chicago......

we are talking all older airheads and similarly collectible bikes, ask to take a stroll through their back warehouse area, I think there are about 500 bikes scooters, etc. They have everything from old Bsa's to lambrettas and ducatis back there. It is chock full of partially restored and collectible bikes you probably wont see anywhere else. The adress is

1901 S. Western ave.
Chicago 60608.

Its about 3 blocks off a train stop and the staff there are always helpful. Not sure if this is what the other guy meant by the one on western ave. but I dont think they sell too many of the late model bikes. What they do sell is t shirts. Really an awesome shop run by some nice guys. Check out motoworkschicago.com. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #129
StromBoni
Hot Dog Captain

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by tathambenjamin
you sir want to go to motoworks chicago......

we are talking all older airheads and similarly collectible bikes, ask to take a stroll through their back warehouse area, I think there are about 500 bikes scooters, etc. They have everything from old Bsa's to lambrettas and ducatis back there. It is chock full of partially restored and collectible bikes you probably wont see anywhere else. The adress is

1901 S. Western ave.
Chicago 60608.

Its about 3 blocks off a train stop and the staff there are always helpful. Not sure if this is what the other guy meant by the one on western ave. but I dont think they sell too many of the late model bikes. What they do sell is t shirts. Really an awesome shop run by some nice guys. Check out motoworkschicago.com. Good luck.
I am not even a BMW fan, any generation of BMW, but I did go to Motoworks Chicago. Those guys were awesome. Friendly, helpful, and just plain nice... and they had a lot of beautiful old bikes. That place is worth a visit for anyone.
StromBoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #130
tathambenjamin
Studly Adventurer

Yeah

Yeah I always enjoy myself at Motoworks....they are helpful and friendly without any of the snobbery you get at a lot of places that speacialize in one thing or the other with motorcycles. Cool old building, so many cool bikes....I will do business with them any day.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #131
djmase
something catchy.

Oddometer: 286
There have been military jets buzzing my building all day long....I feel like I am trapped in Top Gun. (insert soundtrack here)
When I was little I wanted to be a fighter pilot....now I am bigger and sit blinking at a computer screen; I still wish I was a fighter pilot.
Oh, Chicago....
djmase
Old 08-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #132
Odd1out
Clutch killing yahoo!!

Oddometer: 193
Question road suggestions please...

Hey all, I'm a new rider in Chicago, grew up here but just bought a KLR650. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys sometime, I have been biking around the subarbs trying to get the feel for everything. The bike is currently out in Lombard, I am thinking of venturing into the city with it next week via Irving Park Rd? Gonna ride around a bit over the next couple of weeks, then heading out early morning on the 29th for Columbus. Once I am back I am planning to use the bike as a commuter to liven things up a bit (I'm cage-less and typically train everywhere).

I am looking to go on my first "long" distance trip to Columbus, OH over Labor Day weekend. I live on the northside, western and lawrence, I am thinking that I will take 30 all the way across indiana to columbus, but am wondering the best way through the city. Google recommends taking Lake Shore all the way down and I am thinking I should be okay if I get through early enough. I'm pretty leary about 90-94 or other major highways, any advice?
Odd1out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #133
Panic
Anxiety's little friend

Oddometer: 1,307
Anybody else riding down for the TT races in Peoria on Sunday? Tentatvie plan is to leave Wrigglyville at Sun Up. Back roads to Peoria. Watch the races and yuck it up with the Chaingolian crew. Ride back.

Panic
Old 08-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #134
Merle O'Broham
too beaucoup

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd1out
Hey all, I'm a new rider in Chicago, grew up here but just bought a KLR650. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys sometime, I have been biking around the subarbs trying to get the feel for everything. The bike is currently out in Lombard, I am thinking of venturing into the city with it next week via Irving Park Rd? Gonna ride around a bit over the next couple of weeks, then heading out early morning on the 29th for Columbus. Once I am back I am planning to use the bike as a commuter to liven things up a bit (I'm cage-less and typically train everywhere).

I am looking to go on my first "long" distance trip to Columbus, OH over Labor Day weekend. I live on the northside, western and lawrence, I am thinking that I will take 30 all the way across indiana to columbus, but am wondering the best way through the city. Google recommends taking Lake Shore all the way down and I am thinking I should be okay if I get through early enough. I'm pretty leary about 90-94 or other major highways, any advice?
LSD gets crappy in south Chicago and into Indiana- likewise 30 as it passes through Ford Heights/Lynwood. If it was me, I'd probably stay on 12/20, pass quickly through Gary and Hammond, then enjoy the great Indiana Dunes Highway before 35/30 SE after Michigan City down to 6 or 30 Eastbound. Traffic will suck arse near the I65 exchange on 80/94.
Merle O'Broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #135
R80Camper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
, then heading out early morning on the 29th for Columbus. Once I am back I am planning to use the bike as a commuter to liven things up a bit (I'm cage-less and typically train everywhere).

I'm pretty leary about 90-94 or other major highways, any advice?[/quote]

If by "early" you mean 5:00am on Friday - East bound I90/94 should be clear at that time/direction. I take I-294 from 95th to I-80/94 daily at 6:30am and since its a reverse commute, its a non issue. The occasional intoxicated cager can be a problem and the locals can be trying if one breaks down. I-30 is stoplight to stoplight for quite awhile in Indiana and some freaking City Council ordered them all to stop traffic obeying the speed limit (a major disincentive to remain an upstanding citizen)
Y2K VN750 (40F+ for commuting)
83 R80RT (tired after 90K miles) ABC#6326
R80Camper is offline   Reply With Quote