User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #316
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,099
Question cases

Thanks Blackie & Indo for info on the cases...

I very much like the "expanding" feature of the Varios, but would also like to have it expand enough to fit the freaking helmet .....

Is Vario the only case that has the "expanding" feature?

Thanks ....

Jim

PS: Does the F658 have a helmet lock?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #317
gordo5
Roadkill

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Thanks Blackie & Indo for info on the cases...

I very much like the "expanding" feature of the Varios, but would also like to have it expand enough to fit the freaking helmet .....

Is Vario the only case that has the "expanding" feature?

Thanks ....

Jim

PS: Does the F658 have a helmet lock?
I'm not a 100% but I thought Blackie had said he could fit a helmet in the right bag (the larger one) when fully extended. I'll give it a try tonight. There isn't really a helmet lock but I did see in the manual an accessory cord that could be strung under the seat to serve this purpose.... Sounds like a PITA to me though. I just carry a bicycle cable lock and string it through the steel saddlebag mounting hardware. Easy, cheap solution. BTW, the mounting hardware also has bits welded to it for tie downs or bungees, making a back rack unnecessary, for me anyways. Worked a charm for a sleeping bag and tent.
gordo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #318
blackie OP
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo5
I'm not a 100% but I thought Blackie had said he could fit a helmet in the right bag (the larger one) when fully extended. I'll give it a try tonight. There isn't really a helmet lock but I did see in the manual an accessory cord that could be strung under the seat to serve this purpose.... Sounds like a PITA to me though. I just carry a bicycle cable lock and string it through the steel saddlebag mounting hardware. Easy, cheap solution. BTW, the mounting hardware also has bits welded to it for tie downs or bungees, making a back rack unnecessary, for me anyways. Worked a charm for a sleeping bag and tent.
Ya I could fit a Zox Flip-Open Full Face XL helmet (which is quite large IMO)into the right side saddlebag. Make sure the visor points to the front. I think an enduro type helmet with the pointy chin and visor might not fit though.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #319
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,041
I remember the discussion surrounding the vario top box and side boxes on the R1200GS - these are nearly identical so it seems. If you screw with them long enough you can get some helmets in there most of the time.

I was able to get my Nolan N100E Size L in my R1200GS Varios. It would never fit in the top box for some reason.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #320
gordo5
Roadkill

Oddometer: 538
Just confirming what Blackie said, I had no problem getting a size L HJC full face in the right side. Same with an XL (though they both fit the same noggin) Fox off-road helmet.
gordo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #321
Lucky:)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Are F800GS tires Tubed or Tubeless?
Lucky:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #322
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky:)
Are F800GS tires Tubed or Tubeless?
The F800GS are tubed with spoked rim,
the F650GS is tubless cast alloy rim.

That's my story anyway....

JIm
Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #323
blackie OP
Still Hibernating

Fitting a helmet into the Varios.

Ok some pics of the helmet going into the boxes, this the right vario side case when unexpanded. You can see the lever to extend the box. You can also see how it takes up space... but still a damn useful feature I think.

Side view when unexpanded.

Tha vario fully expanded has swallowed the helmet.

Trying to fit the same helmet into the top box. No go, it wouldnt close. The box is fully extended.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 PM   #324
Gnarly Adventurer

how easy is it to reach/clean air filter for F650/800?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 AM   #325
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie
Ok some pics of the helmet going into the boxes, this the right vario side case when unexpanded. You can see the lever to extend the box. You can also see how it takes up space... but still a damn useful feature I think....
Thanks Blackie!

Yes, I agree a VERY fine feature, I wonder if BMW has a patent on it???
I would think the other mfg. would otherwise be offering variable sized luggage as well....

I'm gonna have to go see one, but may well end up with the Vario top case and a cable lock for my helmet

Jim
Old 08-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #326
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Just came back from a weekend jaunt. 1000km over a weekend. Headed up to Jasper AB through Lake Louise and the Icefield Parkway. Back via the long way to Calgary through Rocky Mountain House. I averaged 22.5 kms/litre or about 52 us mpg.

Did you try there back/off road?
Old 08-22-2008, 06:32 AM   #327
blackie OP
Still Hibernating

Quote:
[/url]

Did you try there back/off road?

Just a wee bit, went down some trails to get to the lake side. Bike handles easy on the dry dirt. Going downhill on gravel was a bit hairy though.

Lucky, you might also want to check out UKGser those guys have wayyyy more bikes and collective experience for the time being.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #328
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just a wee bit, went down some trails to get to the lake side. Bike handles easy on the dry dirt. Going downhill on gravel was a bit hairy though.

Lucky, you might also want to check out UKGser those guys have wayyyy more bikes and collective experience for the time being.
Blackie:

Yeah, just looking at the tread pattern I would think ... (not having a bike yet.... ) that gravel with the stock tires has got to be a bit hairy...

I have the IRC GP-110 on my current bike and for my mostly street & limited light trail use they work pretty well. They are quiet when bike is near upright, but with some "whine type" noise when canted into corner ... my current bike is 250cc so I'm not sure how they would perform with higher HP & speed, but are S-rated for speed (112 mph).
One thing that worries me a bit is that if you look at the pattern of the GP-110 I can imagine at a steep angle of lean there is a point at which the contact patch between the tire and road drops off abruptly as the tread block coming in from the far side falls away.... so ... heck I don't now... others have mentioned the Anakee and Tourance ...

http://www.irc-tire.com/mce/

Jim
Old 08-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #329
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks, Blackie. I'll have a look the link.

Did anybody here test drive F650/800GS on logging road and?
Old 08-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #330
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Finally got a test drive....

Quote:
Thanks, Blackie. I'll have a look the link.

Did anybody here test drive F650/800GS on logging road and?

Well I FINALLY got a test ride on an F650GS, mine is currently "in production" so I guess that means maybe another month???

The one I test drove was with lowered suspension and low seat; I am 6' and ordered neither of those but ... that was the only bike set up at the dealer.

I could not ride on gravel/dirt as this was the dealers bike and I did not want to dust up the demo... I think this bike will do everything I want (which is fire roads, gravel, etc. no hard-core stuff) just fine....
Limited by two items which have been mentioned before, and that can be addressed....

1) stock tires are really road oriented... even more so than those on the G650XCountry... The XCountry has the Tourance while the F650GS has the battlewings. Comparing them side by side the Metezler Toruance is not what I would call an "agressive" tire, but is more so than Battlewing...

So I think my 2nd set of tires will be Tourance, Michelin Anakee, or maybe on up to the Continental TCK80 or ??? beats me ... anyway that can be fixed...

2) Gearing is too tall for the dirt....
We are stuck with the close ratio of the F800S / ST gearbox where a wide ratio would be better for this bike I think ... but on top of that the final drive gearing is taller on the 650 than on the 800 ...

Even taking off on pavment requires a bit of deftness with clutch and throttle, so in the loose wet stuff I think I would get frustrated quickly...
So, like Blackie and others have mentioned, as soon as possible, I will be dropping to 16T front sprocket like the F800 has .... go figure...

Jim

(another month ......... sheezzzzzzzzzzzzzz)