Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #331
Lucky:)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
A bit F800GS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCeC2K_fBUg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIseD-4q4UQ

Can't find something similar about F650GS (on off road)

Lucky:) screwed with this post 08-27-2008 at 10:41 PM
Lucky:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #332
gordo5
Roadkill

Oddometer: 538
Hello All

I received the TT fork springs and installed them on Sat. but put up a separate thread showing them, which shifted onto page two quite quickly so I thought I'd put a pointer here in case anyone who monitors this thread missed it. It's at:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379467

I also noticed on a post somewhere that JRWooden has his bike! Congrates! I've been feeling sorry for our American friends, especially the ones that put a deposit down in the fall. Enjoy!

On a final note, it finally happened to me. Yesterday I was riding a Yamaha and during a lane change found my right thumb pointlessly probing for the directional signal. Zoinks!
gordo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #333
blackie OP
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo5
On a final note, it finally happened to me. Yesterday I was riding a Yamaha and during a lane change found my right thumb pointlessly probing for the directional signal. Zoinks!
Haha still not as funny as uselessly hoinking the horns for the first couple hundred miles thinking it was the turn signal
Old 09-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #334
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Hello All

I also noticed on a post somewhere that JRWooden has his bike! Congrates! I've been feeling sorry for our American friends, especially the ones that put a deposit down in the fall. Enjoy!
Thanks Gordo5 ... yes I finally got my bike ... a long and sordid story but it's all over now I've got her in the garage!

Nice write-up on the springs!
I also am shocked at the length of the solid spacer ... WHAT's UP with that???
Did you have a paperclip in your left folk assby?

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?p=183706

On the TT bar extenders ... any extra work there? It looks very straight-forward to install them ... that's what worries me

thanks,
Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:05 AM   #335
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Handguards

I'm looking for handguards for my new 650. I need to have them in a couple of weeks for a trip. Looks like the BMW's ones will be on backorder for a long time here in the U.S. The other options I've seen are Touratech and Barkbuster. I've heard complaints about the TT ones vibrating at cruise speed. The Barkbuster brand requires that you remove the bar end weights, and I'm not wanting to do that. Any other options out there?

BTW, the R1200GS handguards are not a good fit (made for fatbars) and are too flimsy.
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:51 AM   #336
gordo5
Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Thanks Gordo5 ... yes I finally got my bike ... a long and sordid story but it's all over now I've got her in the garage!

Nice write-up on the springs!
I also am shocked at the length of the solid spacer ... WHAT's UP with that???
Did you have a paperclip in your left folk assby?

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?p=183706

On the TT bar extenders ... any extra work there? It looks very straight-forward to install them ... that's what worries me

thanks,
Jim
Ya, I did have that 'paperclip' thing and I haven't the slightest clue why it's there. I didn't put it back, figuring it was just a PITA if I used the wrong weight oil and had to change it. To make that little thing even more of a mystery, it's only on the left side.

The bar extenders were a bit more work than conventional risers. I ended up removing the side panels off the faux tank to give me a bit more room to work with since you have to bolt them on from the underside.

Sorry Navaho, no tips on the hand guards.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #337
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ya, I did have that 'paperclip' thing and I haven't the slightest clue why it's there. I didn't put it back, figuring it was just a PITA if I used the wrong weight oil and had to change it. To make that little thing even more of a mystery, it's only on the left side.

The bar extenders were a bit more work than conventional risers. I ended up removing the side panels off the faux tank to give me a bit more room to work with since you have to bolt them on from the underside.
G:
It does appear that everybody has one "paper clip" on the left folk... maybe by the time I go back for my 600 mile service the mechanic will have figured it out... he said he was going to try!

On the bar extenders: So basically it's just:
1) remove top clamps holding in the bars and move them out of the way.
2) remove faux gas tank panels for access
3) hold nut under the base of the bar clamps and remove
4) insert spacer & re-assemble with longer cap screws provided in kit

How'd I do?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #338
blackie OP
Still Hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navaho
I'm looking for handguards for my new 650. I need to have them in a couple of weeks for a trip. Looks like the BMW's ones will be on backorder for a long time here in the U.S. The other options I've seen are Touratech and Barkbuster. I've heard complaints about the TT ones vibrating at cruise speed. The Barkbuster brand requires that you remove the bar end weights, and I'm not wanting to do that. Any other options out there?

BTW, the R1200GS handguards are not a good fit (made for fatbars) and are too flimsy.
Not many from what I've seen so far. The R1200GS or Touratech ones might be a good interim solution. See this thread at UKgser. Useful info (some) there.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #339
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,767
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie
Ok some pics of the helmet going into the boxes, this the right vario side case when unexpanded. You can see the lever to extend the box. You can also see how it takes up space... but still a damn useful feature I think.
Side view when unexpanded.

Tha vario fully expanded has swallowed the helmet.

Trying to fit the same helmet into the top box. No go, it wouldnt close. The box is fully extended.
I hate to tell you this, but those Vario cases are useless. I had 'em on my '04 1200GS (LEMON yellow). Once you get dirt or dust in the expanding lever and mechanism they sieze up and bend. When you fall over (and you will) the mounting brackets on the bag break and you can't even jury rig a way to strap 'em on with bungees or rope. And watch your top case doesn't decide to break off its mount and pass you going down the road.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #340
gordo5
Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
G:
It does appear that everybody has one "paper clip" on the left folk... maybe by the time I go back for my 600 mile service the mechanic will have figured it out... he said he was going to try!

On the bar extenders: So basically it's just:
1) remove top clamps holding in the bars and move them out of the way.
2) remove faux gas tank panels for access
3) hold nut under the base of the bar clamps and remove
4) insert spacer & re-assemble with longer cap screws provided in kit

How'd I do?

Thanks,
Jim
That's pretty much it. You do need one of the larger size torx. If you're really dexterous you might not even need to remove the panels.

Gord
Old 09-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #341
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
That's pretty much it. You do need one of the larger size torx. If you're really dexterous you might not even need to remove the panels.

Gord
Thanks Gord!

I like the looks of those more than the others I have seen.
I think they will add enough "lift" for me and are still short enough that I don't have to mess with getting longer cables.

Jim
Old 09-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #342
blackie OP
Still Hibernating

Good things come in spades!

Finally the service toolkit I ordered in May arrived . Quality bit of kit. Very interesting telescoping handle to fit all those various bits and heads. Has a mini torch too!

At the same time my touring windscreen arrived the day before and I spent 30 mins switching over...at 7am in 5 deg C... I couldn't wait to try it but also because I wanted to see how well it works in deflecting the morning chill during my commute!!

Some notes. Well made. Took me a while to figure out how to remove the expanding nuts from the original bodywork mounts on the fairing. Windblast to the chest is now gone. Screen now directs air towards helmet, creating more noise. BUT the most noticeable bit, the top of the screen shakes when the bike is idling, damned distracting, forget the piss cup, this thing rule when it comes to jiggling...

And finally a pic of the screw-on clamp used to (heopfully) make sure the hose stays in place.... (no, this is not Elvie's pic.....)

blackie screwed with this post 09-11-2008 at 06:26 PM
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #343
Big Paul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Advice with luggage

This is Mrs Bigpaul

Hi Blackie

Could you please give me some advice, I'm currently awaiting delivery of my new F650 twin and deciding what luggage to purchase.
The BMW boxes are currently leading the race, but what do you really think of yours?
How easy are they removed and what hardwear do they leave behind?
On my old F650 I had givi luggage fitted which just left a small tubluar frame behind which could hardly be seen. Bigpaul has a R1150GS and it has nice clean lines when the boxes are not fitted.

Thanks
Michelle (Mrs Bigpaul)
Big Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #344
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
Guy at work was looking over my shoulder at the site, asking about the Bimmer, etc. In two differant conversations he asked if I was getting forward controls and "leather saddlebags."
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #345
PuraVida

Oddometer: 33
Hi Michelle,

I've had the BMW Vario sidecases for a few months now and overall I'm very happy with them. They're well-designed and solid (as I discovered in a recent low-speed getoff). They don't claim to be waterproof, but they nearly are. I had them out in torrential rain at highway speed for over an hour a few days ago, and only one of them had a tiny trickle and a drop of water at the rear. I thought the size-changing versatility was gimmicky when I ordered them, but now I love it and keep the cases on the bike all the time. Being able to change up is invaluable in the city. They'll easily hold your helmet, gloves and jacket while you go do your thing. Attaching/detaching the cases couldn't be easier - you can do it one-handed once you get the knack. The mounting hardware replaces the existing grab bar. It's a little beefier and has one mounting knob on each side. I'll put a photo up a little later. The side cases form a great platform atop which you strap camping gear, etc. This is why I chose not to do a top-case, preferring the flexibility and larger volume of a dry sac instead.

There are a few things about the cases that aren't great: Each one holds shut with two hooks that seem only moderately solid to me, so I wouldn't test the burst pressure of the system. Also, after a few thousand kilometers of riding with gear compression-strapped on top of them, the top seems to have deformed slightly and now I sometimes have to wiggle them closed. My biggest peeve about them is the removable little rubber "feet" on each one, two to a side. When you set the cases down and then pick them up again, they will almost certainly fall off if you don't pick the case straight up off the floor (no twisting, bumping, etc). You'll know you've lost a foot because the case will now tip over every time you set it down. Consider glue or ask your dealer for a bag of the things.

That's about it. There are too many moving parts to make it reliable on an epic journey, but for the city and shorter trips they're great. Hope that's helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul
This is Mrs Bigpaul

Hi Blackie

Could you please give me some advice, I'm currently awaiting delivery of my new F650 twin and deciding what luggage to purchase.
The BMW boxes are currently leading the race, but what do you really think of yours?
How easy are they removed and what hardwear do they leave behind?
On my old F650 I had givi luggage fitted which just left a small tubluar frame behind which could hardly be seen. Bigpaul has a R1150GS and it has nice clean lines when the boxes are not fitted.

Thanks
Michelle (Mrs Bigpaul)
PuraVida is offline   Reply With Quote