User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
xjon OP
Pedantic Bastard

Oddometer: 387
My story of solo brake bleeding

Got JVB video, reviewed several times. Changing the fluid at 12450mi. Got a quart of Valvoline synthetic dot 3&4 brake fluid. 3/16" clear vinyl tubing from Home depot and wood shims. Had a mightyvac on hand. No mini-stan funnel

Bleeding from the reservoirs-easy enough. tried the mightyvac but that was more trouble than it was worth. I just used the tubing and the water bottle.

The servos to the calipers gave me problems. No funnel so I did some searching and found a couple of mickeymouse-rigged appliances that others have used. I just ended up spilling the fluid. As much as dripping to the kick stand. Was going to give up and pm JVB as to where to get a funnel. Did I mention this was 2am? Did some more searching and I found a thread which shows this: (cant find it now but someone deserves some credit)

Just using the vented cap, remove the black tubing and hook up the clear vinyl tubing direct to it. Warning, the tubing on it was tight and I recommend unscrewing it so you dont damage the tube on the cap. Actually the thread that I saw suggested to just buy a cap and to do what I just did if you're really cheap.

Here's how I set up the fluid bottle. As you are flushing it, keep an eye on the clear tubing that no air has gone in. Problem with this is that when you start, its really hard to eliminate the air in the tubing prior to connection. So make sure you bleed the air out. My solution to this for the next time would be to connect with a 3-way stop cock connected to the cap with a syringe to suck and prime the line to minimize/eliminate the air.

Heres my whole set up after I went to bed and got some rest. Note the tape on the bottle...almost made a big mess! After figuring out the rear, the front was no problem.

So after all is done, I wasn't done. Remember the spillage. So I got the front calipers back on, put the rear wheel on, wrapped up the fuel lines and electrical connections in gloves, pushed the bike out of the garage and hosed off the bike, lots of soap, more water and so on.

Looking back on it, would have been a lot easier to do with a friend. I spent more time cleaning brake fluid off the bike than the actual job of flushing. If nothing is working, keep searchin and get some rest. next time will be much easier and cleaner and quicker. Screw the mightyvac.

Put the bike back together and brakes are working. Brakes feel so much better and more responsive. I thought the cables had some stretch at first but that disappeared after the flush.

Yes, I would do it again solo. ...as I do everything else
Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,559
Nice work , and now that you have a system, you shouldn't make such a mess next time!

Thanks for the pictures!

By the way, you can get the funnel from www.diymoto.com, though it is not cheap, it does work.

Jim

PS Two definitely makes it easier, and I now use plastic shims from Home Depot.
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
GS_AP
Wanna be Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
DIYMoto is closed - make your own funnel!!

I tried to order the funnel today and Steve let me know that he has decided to close up shop. He changed his website after my inquiry. So I think for now we're all on to making our own. www.diymoto.com

I ordered the bmw vent tube w/ fittings to get the one fitting needed. I had trouble over the phone figuring out the part so I actually ordered the wrong part, as I was remembering seeing someone buying the vent tube and breather caps, but now I realize it wasn't to make the funnel but to forego making the funnel and using the extra breather cap connected to the hose directly w/ no mods. Oh well. Seems even easier! I can just attach the funnel to the hose. BTW, it cost me $45 from my dealer but that was the same as on A&S for a comparison. Overnighted for another 10%. Still cheaper than the $200 BMW tool. I ordered the rest of the parts from McMaster Carr for next to nothing.

I'll be building mine tomorrow and watching JVB's video again on the process. I'm off to Tahoe (from San Diego via Death Valley) on Sat so I'm doing a lot of stuff; oil, tranny, fd, valves, tb sync, alternator belt, brakes. Did most last night. Alternator belt and brakes are still to do. I'm at 18K miles. I don't know if I need to do all this at 18K but I do the oil, tranny, fd, valves, tb sync every 6K anyway.

"Travel is the enemy of bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and prejudice." - Mark Twain

GS_AP screwed with this post 06-03-2008 at 11:16 PM
GS_AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjon
tried the mightyvac but that was more trouble than it was worth
Just turn the ignition on and use the brakes own electric servo to pump the fluid..

I can't believe the effort you guys take to make such a simple job so complex.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:36 AM   #5
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

oh oh. a thread to add to GSpot FAQ !
as I'll need to do the same soon ;)
excellent job, thanks.
/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
xjon OP
Pedantic Bastard

Hey steptoe, thanks for pointing out my mistakes and reiterrating what I did at the end. Maybe if someone has posted "the simple/cheap way" on the faq's, it would have made it easier for me the 1st time around.

Or maybe it was you who posted this tip already? If it was, THANKS! But the idea I got from searching extensively on where to buy the ministan funnel. Sorry, I cant remember the inmate who came up with this great idea but they need the credit. It was 2:30 in the am!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
xjon OP
Pedantic Bastard

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...light=ministan

Found it! Thanks GSWayne.