ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,374
CannonTracks - Mark Twain NF (MO), Ozark NF (AR)

This thread contains three sets of Dual Sport Tracks and a road ride route from southern Missouri and northern Arkansas.

Pictures and additional information about these rides is available at
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343755

The first is a dual sport ride that DigDogAdventures and I put together and rode while at SLAP.

Orienting overview. SE of Springfield, MO near the AR border.


A closer overall view. The track runs about 160+ miles.


We started at the Dawt Mill Campground in the lower right corner. The yellow trackline is the track I will post for others to use. I left the purple (our actual track) in the background to show how we got detoured from time to time by turkey hunting, floods, and fences.


The middle section.


The west section. Gas available in Taneyville.


One of these is handy to have.


In addition to the tracklines to ride, I left our tracklog in the file as well.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx MarkTwain.gpx (824.8 KB, 93 views)
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,374
Arkansas Scenic Road Ride

Here is an overview shot of the route. The part that is highlighted is about 183 miles. It might be a good section to integrate into a trip through the region. It would be easy to jump between I-44 and I-40 using this route as an entertaining side trip enroute to another destination. (I'll also post this in GPS Central.) The route is paved throughout.


Here is where you join the route - near the MO-AR state line. The ferry ride is on this portion.


Eventually you get onto "Scenic 7".







Scenic 7 eventally gets you to 123 - a great ride.






There are plenty of great roads to ride in this region. This is simply one option. Looking at a map shows other possibilities. I'm sure that others from the area will offer a couple of ideas as well.

I added a loose trackline to the file in case the route doesn't transfer via .gpx too well.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Ark Scenic Roads.gpx (184.8 KB, 68 views)
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,374
Ozark National Forest Dual Sport Ride 1

We set up in the Redding National Forest Campground (showers on site) near Cass.

Here is an orientation shot of the first ride we made.


A closer look at the entire route. I think it is around 120 miles. I'll post the tracks in GPS Central.


As always, one of these is useful.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Oark Final.gpx (178.7 KB, 63 views)
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,374
Ozark Dual Sport Ride 2

This is about a 125 mile dual sport ride.
Orientation shot.


Closer view of the route.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Cass Final.gpx (187.4 KB, 63 views)
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF
 
tbirdsp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Nebraska
Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot




At Jasper, I would take 74 southeast and catch 123. That section of 123 from Mt Judea down to Lurton where it hits 7 is not to be missed. One of the best roads in the country. A better ride than 7 by far IMHO.
__________________
Mike S.
'09 Bonneville Black, '05 KLR650, '07 Yam Majesty
AMA MSTA
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
rjharris
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rjharris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunset Hills, MO
Oddometer: 435
Thanks for posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
This thread contains three sets of Dual Sport Tracks and a road ride route from southern Missouri and northern Arkansas.

Pictures and additional information about these rides is available at
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343755

The first is a dual sport ride that DigDogAdventures and I put together and rode while at SLAP.

Orienting overview. SE of Springfield, MO near the AR border.


A closer overall view. The track runs about 160+ miles.


We started at the Dawt Mill Campground in the lower right corner. The yellow trackline is the track I will post for others to use. I left the purple (our actual track) in the background to show how we got detoured from time to time by turkey hunting, floods, and fences.


The middle section.


The west section. Gas available in Taneyville.


One of these is handy to have.


In addition to the tracklines to ride, I left our tracklog in the file as well.
Cannonshot,

Thanks for posting. We came across alot of your business cards, while riding on the Swinging Bridges ride! Thanks for sharing your routes.

Ray
__________________
2009 Harley Roadglide
2010 Husaberg FE 570
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
rjharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
At Jasper, I would take 74 southeast and catch 123. That section of 123 from Mt Judea down to Lurton where it hits 7 is not to be missed. One of the best roads in the country. A better ride than 7 by far IMHO.
Great info! Thanks for sharing. That would be an easy change for someone to make.

Edit: Uploaded route (GPX) with your recommended change.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Ark Scenic V2.gpx (197.6 KB, 57 views)

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-23-2008 at 01:43 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZaddict
Cannonshot,

Thanks for posting. We came across alot of your business cards, while riding on the Swinging Bridges ride! Thanks for sharing your routes.

Ray
Yeah, I have a little fun with those "was here" cards. . .
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
reddof
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
Here is an overview shot of the route. The part that is highlighted is about 183 miles. It might be a good section to integrate into a trip through the region. It would be easy to jump between I-44 and I-40 using this route as an entertaining side trip enroute to another destination. (I'll also post this in GPS Central.) The route is paved throughout.

...



There are plenty of great roads to ride in this region. This is simply one option. Looking at a map shows other possibilities. I'm sure that others from the area will offer a couple of ideas as well.

I added a loose trackline to the file in case the route doesn't transfer via .gpx too well.
I was thinking about going on this ride. Just wondering, never having been in this area before, on the top right corner of the map above, what's the point of the short jaunt over to Oark? Just wondering if there is something interesting to see there.

Thanks.
__________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!
reddof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Rolla, MO
Oddometer: 634
Just wondering if there is something interesting to see there.


If you are hungry there is. or need fuel.
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #11
reddof
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze
If you are hungry there is. or need fuel.
You stop to eat while you're riding? but the fuel one makes sense.
Thanks.
__________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!
reddof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #12
nefiii
Who is this cat?
 
Joined: May 2008
Oddometer: 11
Thumb Cannonshot please re-post cass_final.gpx

Cannonshot:

Can you please re-post the cass_final.gpx file? I was able to open all the others except that one. It looks interesting.

Thx...

nefiii
__________________
Slide, Bang, Uugh!!
nefiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefiii
Cannonshot:

Can you please re-post the cass_final.gpx file? I was able to open all the others except that one. It looks interesting.

Thx...

nefiii
Repost
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Cass Final.gpx (187.4 KB, 17 views)
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
reddof
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
Here is an overview shot of the route. The part that is highlighted is about 183 miles. It might be a good section to integrate into a trip through the region. It would be easy to jump between I-44 and I-40 using this route as an entertaining side trip enroute to another destination. (I'll also post this in GPS Central.) The route is paved throughout.
I just got back from a weekend in Arkansas. I rode most of this route in reverse on my way home and it's fantastic scenery and a great ride. It ended with the ferry ride across Bull Shoals lake.

Thanks for sharing the route.
__________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!
reddof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
alpiv
Sr. nOOb
 
alpiv's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Oddometer: 2,173
Cannonshot:
Looks like I've got some catching up to do..
You've been busy!
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014