ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
cycleking650 OP
KLR 650

Oddometer: 35
Cheyenne wy. area rides

I just moved to cheyenne from grand junction co and just trying to connect with fellow dual sport riders and who ever likes to just ride
cycleking650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,952
Head west toward Iron Mountain, and find the back road to Laramie. You'll have to consult a map because I can't remember where exactly the turn-off is.

Anyway, it's a fun, scenic, and lightly-trafficked ride that will open up other possibilities like the Old Fetterman Rd north of Laramie off Hwy 34. This road in turn takes you to Palmer Canyon Rd between Rock River & Wheatland and opens up the entire north end of the Laramie range all the way to Douglas, including a few backwoods watering holes.

Bring gas and a buddy. Or a Spot-- there ain't nothing out there in the way of cell coverage.

I'll be off work for about a week starting Thursday if you want to do some riding in the Palmer Cyn/Laramie Peak area.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
OldenSlow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Riding most weekends, you're welcome to pitch in

We have a loose Chey crew of 5-10 who stay in touch/ride. Our ages are 30-50, our rides range from dual-sport touring on 650-950cc bikes to trail riding on 250-450cc bikes.

PM me and we can meet up sometime, look at a map, share contact info, etc. I can show you a few fun dual-sport rides that make good day trips out of Cheyenne.
OldenSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
cycleking650 OP
KLR 650

Sounds great i start work again on wednesday and will have a full week off starting 2 weeks from tomarrow so i can get will yall then and look at possible rides then
Old 06-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
rockitdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenSlow View Post
We have a loose Chey crew of 5-10 who stay in touch/ride. Our ages are 30-50, our rides range from dual-sport touring on 650-950cc bikes to trail riding on 250-450cc bikes.

PM me and we can meet up sometime, look at a map, share contact info, etc. I can show you a few fun dual-sport rides that make good day trips out of Cheyenne.
I would also be up for some dual sport touring dirt back roads watering hole action. I'm in Collins, so same neck of the woods. Is the Snowy Range Road open, yet? I'd be on the 990A
'85 Laverda RGS1000SFC (also in process)
'00 DR650SE
rockitdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
I would also be up for some dual sport touring dirt back roads watering hole action. I'm in Collins, so same neck of the woods. Is the Snowy Range Road open, yet? I'd be on the 990A
It is indeed, after WYDOT plowed through 30' drifts around Memo Day weekend.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Head west toward Iron Mountain, and find the back road to Laramie. You'll have to consult a map because I can't remember where exactly the turn-off is.

Anyway, it's a fun, scenic, and lightly-trafficked ride that will open up other possibilities like the Old Fetterman Rd north of Laramie off Hwy 34. This road in turn takes you to Palmer Canyon Rd between Rock River & Wheatland and opens up the entire north end of the Laramie range all the way to Douglas, including a few backwoods watering holes.

Bring gas and a buddy. Or a Spot-- there ain't nothing out there in the way of cell coverage.

I'll be off work for about a week starting Thursday if you want to do some riding in the Palmer Cyn/Laramie Peak area.
The turnoff is at the Iron Mountain Post Office. Take Horse Creek Road out of northwest Cheyenne. After Horse Creek Road turns north after crossing the creek, you will turn west onto dirt at the Iron Mountain Post Office, past the Y-Cross Ranch, up the hogback and then over the top of the Laramie Range. That road drops you onto pavement and then down into Laramie on Rogers Canyon Road, which becomes Ninth Street in Laramie. It's a great dual sport ride, mostly graded gravel, with a few scattered pieces of public land where you can explore some two-track: a section of state land at the top, and then a couple sections of BLM as you head down the canyon into Laramie. The two-track on the state land is all easy, but the BLM near Laramie has a bit of entertaining rocky nastiness on the north side of the pavement. The nastiness doesn't last long, but there's an intimidating drop at the nastiest spot, if you screw it up badly!

The BLM near Laramie is completely unmarked. You'll know you're there when you find trees and rocks and scenery, spolied by lots of trash left by target shooters on both sides of the road, and a steep rocky road headed north up the hill, through the worst of the trash. If you head to the south, the two-track is all easy, and rather short. There's more to ride on the north side, if you can get past the rocky crux. It's not big-pig friendly at the crux, but the rest is.

If you want to explore a different route, Take Horse Creek Road, and stay on it past the Iron Mountain Post Office. when the pavement ends, take the dirt road north. It is a public road, despite the fact you'll fee at one point like you're invading someone's private yard. Keep heading north along Chugwater Creek, and the road will take you to Chugwater. From there, go through Chugwater, and turn east right "downtown" onto WY 313 (Lone Tree Road) which will take you up the sandstone rim onto a huge flat expanse of wheat fields. Turn off the pavement to the south at the County Line Road (you'll see it coming because there's also a huge power line running along the county line.) Go south on the county line road for seven miles, then you can go east, down Bear Creek Road which will drop you out onto Highway 85 near LaGrange, or you can turn west onto Marsh Road, which will take you upstream along Bear creek, where you will once again feel like you're invading a private yard, and the dirt road will drop you back onto the pavement on Little Bear road, which will take you to the I-25 frontage road. (There's some more mixed dirt and pavement between there and Cheyenne on the east side of I-25, but I don't remember the names of any roads.)

Cowboy screwed with this post 06-11-2014 at 05:23 PM
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
I would like to ride Wyoming backcountry with you fellas. I have ridden a few trials meets west of Douglass and find the Wyoming backcountry to be especially beautiful. I am not quite ready for a trip as I am still getting myself and a recently acquired GS1150 dialed and setup for ADV riding. I will subscribe to this thread.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,723
IN. My GSA has not been getting enough exercise since the S1000R showed up.
Erik : IBA #40645
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #10
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Rock Springs in the House!! 1150 GS, wanting to ride....
FongMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #11
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
The turnoff is at the Iron Mountain Post Office. Take Horse Creek Road out of northwest Cheyenne. After Horse Creek Road turns north after crossing the creek, you will turn west onto dirt at the Iron Mountain Post Office, past the Y-Cross Ranch, up the hogback and then over the top of the Laramie Range. That road drops you onto pavement and then down into Laramie on Rogers Canyon Road, which becomes Ninth Street in Laramie. It's a great dual sport ride, mostly graded gravel, with a few scattered pieces of public land where you can explore some two-track: a section of state land at the top, and then a couple sections of BLM as you head down the canyon into Laramie. The two-track on the state land is all easy, but the BLM near Laramie has a bit of entertaining rocky nastiness on the north side of the pavement. The nastiness doesn't last long, but there's an intimidating drop at the nastiest spot, if you screw it up badly!

The BLM near Laramie is completely unmarked. You'll know you're there when you find trees and rocks and scenery, spolied by lots of trash left by target shooters on both sides of the road, and a steep rocky road headed north up the hill, through the worst of the trash. If you head to the south, the two-track is all easy, and rather short. There's more to ride on the north side, if you can get past the rocky crux. It's not big-pig friendly at the crux, but the rest is.

If you want to explore a different route, Take Horse Creek Road, and stay on it past the Iron Mountain Post Office. when the pavement ends, take the dirt road north. It is a public road, despite the fact you'll fee at one point like you're invading someone's private yard. Keep heading north along Chugwater Creek, and the road will take you to Chugwater. From there, go through Chugwater, and turn east right "downtown" onto WY 313 (Lone Tree Road) which will take you up the sandstone rim onto a huge flat expanse of wheat fields. Turn off the pavement to the south at the County Line Road (you'll see it coming because there's also a huge power line running along the county line.) Go south on the county line road for seven miles, then you can go east, down Bear Creek Road which will drop you out onto Highway 85 near LaGrange, or you can turn west onto Marsh Road, which will take you upstream along Bear creek, where you will once again feel like you're invading a private yard, and the dirt road will drop you back onto the pavement on Little Bear road, which will take you to the I-25 frontage road. (There's some more mixed dirt and pavement between there and Cheyenne on the east side of I-25, but I don't remember the names of any roads.)
What kept you?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
Shake_N_Bake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleking650 View Post
I just moved to cheyenne from grand junction co and just trying to connect with fellow dual sport riders and who ever likes to just ride
You might be interested in trying https://plus.google.com/communities/...26124879340565 It is a site set up for Wyoming Dual Sport Riders. It is a small but pretty active group.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 9,988
Just go where the wind takes you...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #14
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Just go where the wind takes you...
Damn Wyoming wind kicked up a gust and blew me all the way to Elizabeth! I laugh out loud every time somebody around here bitches about the wind!

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #15
cycleking650 OP
KLR 650

Cheyenne riders anyone up for a offroad day ride