ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
jonz OP
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,314
Adding Montana Street plate to off highway sticker question

I have a 2007 KTM400 XCW that I've registered with an offroad sticker in Montana. I'm adding a stator, fan, and headlight; and wondered how much more would be involved in getting a street plate. So I checked the Montana registration regulations and see that I can register it for both street and offroad. The list of required equipment is on form MV70 - Inspection Checklist for Motorcycles and Quadricycles. It seems all I need to add in addition is a tail light and electronic horn (brake light and turn signals not required). At the bottom of the checklist is an affidavit where you swear the above is true and correct.

Now for the question: do you take the bike in to get inspected, or do you just need the signed checklist?
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM   #2
shrederscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
In colorado...it used to be the checklist, with a signed statement by you, vin inspection only

Sadley not so anymore here, now the checklist inspection is done by the state patrol here.

Still, at least you can do it, in some states it is not possible at all.

scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM   #3
jonz OP
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrederscott View Post
In colorado...it used to be the checklist, with a signed statement by you, vin inspection only

Sadley not so anymore here, now the checklist inspection is done by the state patrol here.

Still, at least you can do it, in some states it is not possible at all.

scott
Ya, the VIN number alone would prevent registration in CA. To change the title to Montana and get my offroad sticker, I just had to submit the paperwork. I plan on adding a tail light in any case and if it has to get inspected, I'll add a 9V powered bicycle horn to comply with the regulations. I want to get it right the first time as it's 100 miles each way to submit the paperwork.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #4
eyeson247
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
I have a 2007 KTM400 XCW that I've registered with an offroad sticker in Montana. I'm adding a stator, fan, and headlight; and wondered how much more would be involved in getting a street plate. So I checked the Montana registration regulations and see that I can register it for both street and offroad. The list of required equipment is on form MV70 - Inspection Checklist for Motorcycles and Quadricycles. It seems all I need to add in addition is a tail light and electronic horn (brake light and turn signals not required). At the bottom of the checklist is an affidavit where you swear the above is true and correct.

Now for the question: do you take the bike in to get inspected, or do you just need the signed checklist?
When I last talked to the DMV/Title office in November, there was no requirement for inspection. As you said, you are self verifying. Don't forget the mirror.... and if you are planning on riding in traffic, I'd suggest you add the brake switch(es).
eyeson247 is offline   Reply With Quote