ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
wakewop OP
Hucker

Oddometer: 744
Anyone ever remove an rfs ktm motor?

Merry xmas to me. I went to adjust the valves today only to find a broken rocker arm in my 07 450exc. Nice little present. Found the broken part and fished it out of the spot it was hiding next to the cam chain. Inspecting the rocker arms, it looks like they have been tapping the valve spring keepers. Also noticed that there is very little adjustment left in the valve adjusters. Time to ship the motor off to get the top end done and a few other things replaced/ upgraded.
Anybody ever remove one of these motors? Any tips and tricks? I have the rocker cover off and it looks like there are only a few bolts holding this thing to the frame and 1 big one through the swingarm.
Just a note, I have done a top end and piston on a ktm 450 before and I am not going to do it again. The price vs time is simply not worth it to me this time around.
Thanks fellas.
wakewop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
WileyCoyote
Anasazi

Oddometer: 29
Removal

Very easy to do. The biggest problem is how to support the bike with the swingarm off. I suggest:

1. Support the bike on a stand of some sort with the rear wheel off the ground. Remove the exhaust system.
2. Remove the rear wheel and then the swingarm and related parts like the brake, front sprocket and any other items. The brake will swing up out of the way. The chain does not need to be broken, you can remove it with the swingarm. If I remember correctly, the swingarm bolt nut is 19 mm, but I may be wrong. Should slide out with very little effort. Note the welded tab on the other side of the frame that prevents rotation of the swingarm bolt for when you reinstall the swingarm.
3. Be careful with the swingarm bearings to keep them intact with their sleeves in place.
4. Remove the carburetor and all other hoses and wiring attached to the motor. The wiring should have molex like connectors for the ignition and lighting needs between the left stator cover and the frame.
5. Remove the two engine mounting bolts that have 13 mm heads.
6. Hopefully with a helper, lift and rotate the engine tilting it as you take it out the left side of the frame. Be careful, as the stand the bike is on may want to do something else rather than stay in place.

I likely have left something out, but that should cover most of it. If I were you, while the engine is being overhauled, clean and repack the swingarm needle bearings with new seals. They are loose in the arm after you remove their bushings. You may want to order a few extra when you order the seals and any other parts that are needed. There is also a heim joint on the swingarm for the lower shock mount that will likely be worn out.

Might be fun, but who knows.

If you have ever wondered if you can handle an open class bike, buy a CR500 and all doubt will be removed.
WileyCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
shrederscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakewop View Post
Merry xmas to me. I went to adjust the valves today only to find a broken rocker arm in my 07 450exc. Nice little present. Found the broken part and fished it out of the spot it was hiding next to the cam chain. Inspecting the rocker arms, it looks like they have been tapping the valve spring keepers. Also noticed that there is very little adjustment left in the valve adjusters. Time to ship the motor off to get the top end done and a few other things replaced/ upgraded.
Anybody ever remove one of these motors? Any tips and tricks? I have the rocker cover off and it looks like there are only a few bolts holding this thing to the frame and 1 big one through the swingarm.
Just a note, I have done a top end and piston on a ktm 450 before and I am not going to do it again. The price vs time is simply not worth it to me this time around.
Thanks fellas.
Hi

I live in arvada. ....if u want some help pulling that motor pm me.

Also got to put a plug in for my good friend Flint and Martha at Pro Motor sports, I 70 & Sheridan.......mom and pop service shop.......they rebuilt the top and bottom on my KTM 530exc.....that was over3000 trouble free miles ago !

You should give them a call

merry x-mass

scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,509
Pretty straight forward. If I remember the motor has to come out on the left side of the frame. Could be wrong. You can pretty easily do it alone if you can support the bike (I used tie downs attached to the ceiling in the garage)

Shoot me a PM is you need the KTM chain tool for the timing chain or a flywheel puller. I have both and you're welcome to them.

Rod
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
wakewop OP
Hucker

Scott,
I have shopped at pro Motorsports many times. Always enjoy going there. Will surely call them when I figure out wtf I'm going to do.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,124
Last time I pulled my 06 450exc it was pretty easy. Pull the tank, header, carb, then 2 engine mount bolts and the swingarm. I clamped the frame to the bike stand, left the rear tire on and left the shock attached so the swingarm basically stayed put when I pulled the pivot bolt. Rotated and pulled the engine out solo.

Don't blame you for sending it out. The last winter I rebuilt a 4-stroke was the first spring I bought a 2-stroke.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
The last winter I rebuilt a 4-stroke was the first spring I bought a 2-stroke.
Quoted, cuz I though it's quoteworthy.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,446
A few times.

Hose the bike/engine off before you do anything.

Strip the fluff off, throw the bike on a stand. Pull the two nubs the tank seats on, get the coil/plug wire out of the way, disconnect the stator/sensor wires, and pop the clutch cyl and carb off. Pull the swingarm and the other two bolts holding it on, weasel the engine out of the frame.

BTDT with the rocker arm thingymabob too.

Bike's closing in on 23,000 miles...

Need a hand/tools/etc, i've done almost everything on that bike. Really don't need a shop to do much with it. SW metro area, Littleton.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post

Bike's closing in on 23,000 miles...
Damn that looks clean!

OP - If you need a really trick custom valve spring compressor setup then I've got you covered.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #10
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Damn that looks clean!
That was the first 100 ft off the road, immediately following a strip-it-down-to-the-bare-frame and fix every bearing, seal, gasket on the thing.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
wakewop OP
Hucker

Thanks fellas.
A few years ago I did a top end on another 450exc. Decided that I don't want to do it again in the garage. Sending the whole thing to Washington is only a few bucks more then doing the work myself, and I know it will be done to perfection. Carb is also going to get tuned up. I may go 525 with it as well. Can't decide.
Dong the top end on my old bike was kind of fun, but also a pain in the neck at times. Ran into all kinds of hidden problems that required repeated trips to the dealers for parts. Sun always seemed to be out of stock and Elite is an hour away. Made for a lot of cussing and lost time.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakewop View Post
Thanks fellas.
A few years ago I did a top end on another 450exc. Decided that I don't want to do it again in the garage. Sending the whole thing to Washington is only a few bucks more then doing the work myself, and I know it will be done to perfection. Carb is also going to get tuned up. I may go 525 with it as well. Can't decide.
Dong the top end on my old bike was kind of fun, but also a pain in the neck at times. Ran into all kinds of hidden problems that required repeated trips to the dealers for parts. Sun always seemed to be out of stock and Elite is an hour away. Made for a lot of cussing and lost time.
Good choice there. I send Dave my 450 motor and carb and had him do a total top end job. Had it bored and sleeved to a 540, changed the cam, new oversized valves and seats, and line bored the carb. My dyslexic 450 now runs stronger than when it was new. Lots of low end grunt and is as smooth as an electric motor.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
wakewop OP
Hucker

Thanks fellas.
Doing the top end on my old bike was kind of fun, but also a pain in the neck at times. Ran into all kinds of hidden problems that required repeated trips to the dealers for parts. Sun always seemed to be out of stock and Elite is an hour away. Made for a lot of cussing and lost time. Will be nice to have a fully rebuilt machine top and bottom.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
+1 djh
Old 01-28-2015, 09:59 PM   #15
wakewop OP
Hucker

Just thought I would give a little update since there are a few guys who may be interested.
Dave Hopkins go the engine today and started digging in. Valves shot, piston very shot, cylinder is poop. He doesn't have a replated one on the shelf and does not want the 3 week turnaround to send mine out to be honed/ plated and then sent back. He has a brand new cylinder that he is going to use for the same price as a replated one. I like that. New is good.
The rocker arm snapped because someone had been inside the head before and did a bang up job (pun intended). They recut the seats too deep and then used a shim under the spring to compensate for the mistake. He thinks the springs were binding and hitting the rocker arms and one finally snapped. The arm that did not break has marks on it where it was smacking the spring. Dang bike seemed to run good to me, till it went clunk. Must have been in a state of harmony with shit going wrong somehow. Can't wait for him to get into the carb and calls me!
At this point I am actually excited to be spending the money having it in his hands. I have dealt with him before on a carb I sent in and his work and expertise is top notch. His pricing is also great.