ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 01:20 PM   #1
tweeder OP
Farkle Queen

Oddometer: 394
Chico to Missoula and back

Hey folks,

My wife and I are entertaining the idea of me picking her up in Missoula at the end of her work training over Memorial Day weekend. We'd ride back to Chico (just north of Sacramento). I'd hope to be on the bike 3 days, 4 max on the way back.

We'd be on a DL650, and would prefer mostly, if not all, paved roads. If we camp, that's more stuff to pack (neither of us are light packers, and I have no idea about the weather for that area and areas in between). Camping isn't an absolute no go however.

We don't mind 8 hour days, and we may ride fast, but we take breaks along the way. I always have my camera, and often my tripod, with us. We have luggage options. As much as we can avoid super slab/boring stretches would be great, while balancing out a decent time frame.

Any general suggestions? Must see/avoid roads? I'd take the short, boring route there solo and we'd hopefully take a more fun route back...
Old Today, 01:49 PM   #2
TaterHarry
Barley Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeder View Post
Hey folks,
Must see/avoid roads?
Take US12 out of Missoula - Mile after mile of epic sweepers in gorgeous forested canyon

If you have a little extra time and don't mind a little dirt 2-up, check out the Lolo Motorway which runs parallel to US12.

U95 heads south along the Salmon River for quite a ways and is a pretty nice road as well. From there I would probably look for a route over to Bend, OR, then down 97 until Shasta and superslab it back to Chico.

TaterHarry screwed with this post Today at 02:07 PM
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote