ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #1591
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKEY
I appreciate that. The irony is that I have a small flatbed trailer, but the company (which will allow me to use the vehicle for personal use) will not allow me to put a trailer hitch on it because of insurance reasons.
So let me get this straight. The company will allow you to put a motorcycle in the trcuk but not behind the truck. Do you work for the government? That just seems a little backwards.
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #1592
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
So let me get this straight. The company will allow you to put a motorcycle in the trcuk but not behind the truck. Do you work for the government? That just seems a little backwards.
Hey, they give me a new vehicle every two years, pay for all maintenance and tires and fuel and insurance and everything else........I'll follow their silly little rules. They never actually specifically said I could put a motorcycle in the back, but I didn't ask. They also didn't say I couldn't take it on the Moab Jeep Safari so......

STARSKEY screwed with this post 02-04-2009 at 01:18 PM
STARSKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #1593
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,043
Wicked Sand dunes Snowball Superbowl Weekend Vid

Pardon the camera work. My nephew did it for me and he didn't really want to. We actually got pretty good at riding and sideslipping the more we practiced. Alot of snowboarding skills translated right into controlling the bike on slippery surfaces. (I have the flyswat-into-the GROUND/snow move DOWN PAT in both sports now!!)

Roostre screwed with this post 02-04-2009 at 01:49 PM
Roostre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #1594
ILuvUMan
Opinions Vary

Oddometer: 22,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre
Pardon the camera work. My nephew did it for me and he didn't really want to. We actually got pretty good at riding and sideslipping the more we practiced. Alot of snowboarding skills translated right into controlling the bike on slippery surfaces. (I have the flyswat-into-the GROUND/snow move DOWN PAT in both sports now!!)
Damn, that looked fun.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #1595
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,454
SO.........

...how was the race????????????

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #1596
Roostre
Discombobulated

Talking Mesquite 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
SO.........

...how was the race????????????
For me it was an eye-opening ass kicker of a race... The course was BRUTAL! I am out of shape!!

I didn't get a great start off the line, but I did surprise myself by passing MANY in the first few miles...then I ran into a huge pile-up in a rocky narrow canyon that took 10-15 minutes to get cleared out...I never saw the main pack again after that..

I did the best I could... I FINISHED with 3 full laps and never could have imagined it would feel so good just to see that checkered flag!

All in all a great way to spend a Saturday!!

Here is a little vid my wife took and I put together... see if you can pick out the ADV inmates on the start line with me...

Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #1597
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Congrats Roostre! I envy you, but not enough to go out there and buy me a smaller bike.

Remember my nearly-stock 2007 DR650 (the one that I crashed/dumped multiple times in Mesquite?)? Well, it's been reassigned street duty. It's been Motarded!

I took it out on it's maiden journey yesterday and weeeeeeee, is it fun in the corners! The change in overall gearing with the smaller tires gives it tremendous grunt torque in the corners, and I know all too well how the rev limiter feels. It'll still do highway speeds, but freeway speed is pushin it a bit to hard I think. I can't wait to go play in the twisties.

I took my wife to the carwash with me and we removed the post-buildup grime and as soon as I got home, my oldest daughter declared it was her turn. So, she and I zoomed down to a local park and snapped some pictures of it:

Yeah, it's not that big of a change from stock. Overall it's small tires, heated grips, factory tail rack, TUSK shock seal covers, custom seat, shortened kick-stand, and a home made aluminum skid plate.

One project down, one to go. Next, I'm total dirtifying (while barely keeping it marginally street legal) my 2004 DR650. Projects, projects PROJECTS!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #1598
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
For me it was an eye-opening ass kicker of a race... The course was BRUTAL! I am out of shape!!

I didn't get a great start off the line, but I did surprise myself by passing MANY in the first few miles...then I ran into a huge pile-up in a rocky narrow canyon that took 10-15 minutes to get cleared out...I never saw the main pack again after that..

I did the best I could... I FINISHED with 3 full laps and never could have imagined it would feel so good just to see that checkered flag!

All in all a great way to spend a Saturday!!

Here is a little vid my wife took and I put together... see if you can pick out the ADV inmates on the start line with me...

Hey Roostre, congrats on finishing and having a good time. Doesnt that 1 minute between them hoisting and dropping the flag seem like an eternity. whats next? you planning any more desert races?
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #1599
Roostre
Discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man
Hey Roostre, congrats on finishing and having a good time. Doesnt that 1 minute between them hoisting and dropping the flag seem like an eternity. whats next? you planning any more desert races?
Thanks Warp9man!

Yeah..my leg started to shake just before they dropped it!!

I may be hooked! I can't make it to the St. George race on the 28th, but I am planning to do the Cow Dung in Delta and I took a few days off to go down to the Dam Race in Page Arizona at the end of March.

I know I'm not real competitive, but its great just to be out there giving it hell and doing the best I can. My pit timed my laps and I managed to get faster each lap despite being completely fatigued. It was a real confidence booster to finish!

I didn't see Frog or Dumbgirl after the race...so i am pretty sure they finished well ahead of me. Hopefully they will chime in soon. Frog gave me some advice before the start that helped...much appreciated!!

I'd be interested to see what they thought of the course. My interpretation is simple- BRUTAL!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #1600
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,884
Quote:
Thanks Warp9man!

Yeah..my leg started to shake just before they dropped it!!

I may be hooked! I can't make it to the St. George race on the 28th, but I am planning to do the Cow Dung in Delta and I took a few days off to go down to the Dam Race in Page Arizona at the end of March.

I know I'm not real competitive, but its great just to be out there giving it hell and doing the best I can. My pit timed my laps and I managed to get faster each lap despite being completely fatigued. It was a real confidence booster to finish!

I didn't see Frog or Dumbgirl after the race...so i am pretty sure they finished well ahead of me. Hopefully they will chime in soon. Frog gave me some advice before the start that helped...much appreciated!!

I'd be interested to see what they thought of the course. My interpretation is simple- BRUTAL!

Great video........way to go.

BTW.........Work sucked, I would have much rather been in the desert......

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #1601
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel

Great video........way to go.

BTW.........Work sucked, I would have much rather been in the desert......

Infidel, man im always amazed at the crap you find on the net. it sure makes it fun though.
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #1602
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
I'm in Bountiful . . .

This is my son, but not my bike. Although, I just got an 06 1200GSA . . .

RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #1603
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,767
Well done roostre. The race was brutal deep sand/silt.

I had a great start and had about 5-6 riders in front of me untill the first fast section. I passed a couple of them and we hit the sand. About a mile into the slow deep sand I started to overheat severly, wrong jetting and too high gearing. I was having to slip the clutch a lot in the tight stuff and I started to loose hydrulic clutch pressure. After a bit of this I lost all clutch and just tried to keep it on the trail but ended up going through the trees because I couldn't stop. Good thing I was riding a big bore bile. I'd get my clutch back in the fast stuff and the bike would cool then back to the sand and no more clutch. I went on like this for 3 laps then called it quites.

It was a brutal race and more enduro riding then desert racing. I never got out of 4th gear and most of it was slow tight sandy stuff. Awsome job to those that finished and especially to my riding budy Daniel who came in first in his class over 35 on his 300xc.
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #1604
Roostre
Discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
It was a brutal race and more enduro riding then desert racing. I never got out of 4th gear and most of it was slow tight sandy stuff. Awsome job to those that finished and especially to my riding budy Daniel who came in first in his class over 35 on his 300xc.
I was thinking the same thing ...it sure didn't seem like a desert race... I never got INTO 4th gear, so what does that tell you!!

Congrats to Daniel!!

I still have no idea where I finished in my class, but I know that the guy who won did 4 laps... just have to wait for the results to be posted.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #1605
dumbgirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Cool2

Entering this just proves how dumb I really am. Here's how it went:

Let's see deeeeeeep wet sand whoops that nearly ripped my arms off, gullys full of grapefrut size rocks that nearly ripped my wheels off, steep & deep hill climbs that pissed me off, and a 50 foot wide river crossing that cooled me off! It was the most fun I have ever suffered through!

I am shamed in only having done two laps. I spent a lot of time just parked in that gully shocked at the total mayham! It looked like a war zone with the dead scattered about twisted up in their bikes, half burried in sand. I also watched in awe as the fast and skilled tore through the battle zone spitting chunks of rock and roosting giant plumes of sand right into the helmets of the shell shocked. A good bit of race advice would be: "breathe through your nose not your mouth or else it will get filled up with sand." And I mean filled ALL THE WAY UP.

For me the sand was the best part. This was the only part of the corse I was able to pass people...oh and the river. There were several guys, maybe three or four, just stuck there in the water! Others were lined up on the shore just looking around, perhaps survaying the area for possible raft building materials.

By the way, where do I sign up for the next slug fest? I'm hooked.
dumbgirl is offline   Reply With Quote