ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #1636
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,653
in

D, D, C, and I are on it! We were planning to check out the snow levels near Delle and perhaps stop there.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #1637
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by fano
50 and sunny today. We are going to play in Knolls and should be there just before noon. Anybody else going?
Am I the only one working 7 days a week right now?

Have fun! Post pics.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #1638
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
It's been a productive day:

I now have completed the building of both my bikes. Behold, the streety DR650 and the dirty DR650:

One set up with supermoto on the mind, the other with motocross on the mind. Hard for me to believe that underneath it all they were both the same general motorcycle to begin with. They both feel very different, perform very different, and I think will be lot more fun to take out in certain applications.

The wife and I went for a quick ride around the town on them today.......good times. Now if the weather will just be nice?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #1639
dozer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Looking for the snow report for Delle and Knolls

I might try and go out that way on Sunday
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #1640
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer
Looking for the snow report for Delle and Knolls

I might try and go out that way on Sunday
MavrickChic and I were at Delle today. The riding south of the freeway is wet and muddy but ridable on Bikes, lots of 4 wheeler's riding South of the freeway.

We went for a loop North of the freeway along the lakes West shore until we reached the Impact area. Riding was 70% damp road, with some good muddy spots. We had to ride over snow covered roads to get to the West side of Jededah Mountain, and the roads on this side of the range were 50% snow covered, and pure mud. Due to the mud, we did some slab until closer to the tracks near Delle.

We are thinking of another day tomorrow, maybe a ride around Stansbury. We were going to check to see if the gates are open on the Island, but with Mav going down in the last 2 miles of our 55 mile loop, we passed. Our average speed was below 20 on this trip, slow going in some areas.

Kenda 270's lol

You can see the snow line well below Delle.

Mav had a good save after she got sideways in a rut, then.............

If she had gone down anywhere else on the right side, she would of fell in brush. There is a cutout on the side of the road with 6 inchs of water that Mav found, good splash too. :) I heard her laughing while sliding out from under the bike.

NOTAR_520 screwed with this post 02-21-2009 at 07:15 PM
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #1641
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Not much snow, East side of range.

Lots of old armor and trucks can be seen just beyond the fence, looks to be a gun range(for the F16's), no bomb craters. I'd bet it would be a good show to watch, although I wouldn't watch from the fence, maybe higher up on a hill to the South roasting some marshmallows.

Part of the reason of going to the range was to see if their was a road on the outside of the fence, 20 feet wide. I'm looking at options for a Trip around the Great Salt Lake(off the beaten path), and maybe using some graded path on the Northside of the range if needed due to water levels. :) This loop will depend on lake height, and will be made in more arid months, I don't fancy getting stuck in some Lake MUD.

This is just Mav's 2nd day on the 400(with some bandito action last weekend), she is coming from a smaller bike and I think she did a bang up job of keeping the wheels up for most of the day.

The road running parallel to the tracks was a nice combination of dry gravel roads, packed wet sand, loose as hell 6 inch deep sand, mud, and a little water thrown in, good section of road.

WR got ~45mpg, and the KTM 400 usually gets much better mileage, but less than 40 today. I'm guessing with the tip overs, and Dad getting the camera out first might of lead to the lower MPG, maybe she had some Spillage.

The small passes through the range had too much snow to get over the top.

Great day, and worth the trip.

NOTAR_520 screwed with this post 02-21-2009 at 07:30 PM
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #1642
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Knolls is good we went out today. More snow then expected but nice and warm. Should be awsome tomorrow.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #1643
dbltrbl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Snow/Mud report

Around the pony express area past lookout pass is rideable. We tried cutting through to Delta by the wildcat mountains and turned around after about 6 miles because the snow was getting DEEP.
The West side of 5 mile looked good.

Has any one been to Cherry Creek recently?
dbltrbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #1644
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbltrbl
Around the pony express area past lookout pass is rideable. We tried cutting through to Delta by the wildcat mountains and turned around after about 6 miles because the snow was getting DEEP.
The West side of 5 mile looked good.

Has any one been to Cherry Creek recently?
I'm sure all the upper stuff is snowed in. The lower stuff and dunes are probably ridable with snow in spots.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #1645
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,653
Dellusional

It's official, my girly is a champ on the XR400! Delle was nice and muddy... we went around the North side of the Cedar Mtns and were considering trying to go out to the Knolls from there, but didn't have the daylight or the gas.

Today I put a street kit on the XR4!

Maybe i'll get a helmet cam video put together this evening...

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #1646
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Question Help!

I'm trying to get together some sort of matching set of tires for my "dirt" bike but I have a bunch of mixed half-used whatevers and nothing close to matching.

Anyone have a Kenda K270 or Pirelli MT21 in 3.25-21 (90/90-21) or something similar sitting around the garage that they need to part with? I can't stand looking at the bike with a gnarly MT21 on the back and a wimpy trailwing on the front. It doesn't seem to make sense to spend money on a new tire to match up with a half-used one. I will if I need to, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here first.

STARSKEY screwed with this post 02-22-2009 at 05:02 PM
STARSKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 AM   #1647
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKEY
It doesn't seem to make sense to spend money on a new tire to match up with a half-used one. I will if I need to, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here first.
I am sure you know this already, but a good front tire does help you track better. Additionally, with MT21's, the rear is always wearing faster than the front and I will likely be replacing the front twice as often as the rear.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #1648
danstewart
crf250x Scorpa 4t &sy250r

Oddometer: 54
Cry Does the street kit work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
It's official, my girly is a champ on the XR400! Delle was nice and muddy... we went around the North side of the Cedar Mtns and were considering trying to go out to the Knolls from there, but didn't have the daylight or the gas.

Today I put a street kit on the XR4!

Maybe i'll get a helmet cam video put together this evening...
Kevin, sorry I missed our tech party. I fell asleep.
danstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #1649
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbltrbl
Too bad, you missed a pretty good Mexican lunch. Pretty day eh?

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #1650
dbltrbl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly
Too bad, you missed a pretty good Mexican lunch. Pretty day eh?
Ya it was a great day. After our little detour we headed North past Dugway and over to Tooele and had Mexican. My stomach still isnt right. Send me your e-mail and I'll shoot you some pics so you dont think I'm a pooose for turning around.
dbltrbl is offline   Reply With Quote