ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #17086
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
True blues start them out young. Just to be safe I had to take away all her orange crayons.

First official wheelie. Proud grandpa.

I'm not a fan of the blue but that's the perfect thing for kids to learn to ride. Training wheels should be banned they don't teach balance but do teach bad habits.

Sent from my GALAXY NEXUS using Tapatalk
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #17087
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post

who needs fresh organic eggs for the cause?!!!
Buy the BADB and then deliver two dozen eggs to my house every week on it. I'll pay the top dollah!
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #17088
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,689
DS at 11

I'm headed N of the GSL to explore if anyone is interested... I'll be on my Wee-Strom

call ateOhWonTooForTreeSebenSexSebenSeben if you want to catch me. I'll be on the road by 11.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #17089
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
No takers on a free trials bike rental. We are heading out in a little and I'll have it with me if anyone gets the urge

Sent from my GALAXY NEXUS using Tapatalk
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #17090
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by salute View Post
this shot looks familiar .........hopefully it starts drying up out there I need to get out and ride.[/QUOTE]

Seemed like a good time to flash it. It's a fabulous shot, despite the rider models.
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #17091
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
BADB

DCH - I've seen Jason's 950 and it is clean! From my experience with the BADB's look for one with long suspension. I bottom mine (950s) and I'm 6'3. Also, unless you plan on riding only to Starbucks, it doesn't matter so much how nice they look. If you ride it hard, it's going to get scratched (ask Trackhead).

At 6'5 there is NO reason to not look for an S. You'll feel cramped on the regular if you want to ride it in the dirt.

My opinion...

Yep, talla is betta, 'specially for the long-of-leg.

Epic photo, Pilo. Yer makin Salute whisht he'd been more selective with his his photo models.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #17092
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
Discipline = no cash (but i do like my bikes)

A BADB is a big ass dirt bike personified by the KTM ADV 9Whatever... I don't know the models. I have a MADB, or a Medium Ass Dirt Bike (my XR650R don't chill at 110 Mph like the BADB) and you might say a RADB, or Radical Ass Dirt Bike, since, while not chilling at 110 like on TrailTwister's ride (really suprised me!!) the RADB/MADB will climb a goat trail and hit 90-ish... My Wee-Strom is not a BADB in any sense, but a riot on the street, and can certainly kill graded roads, but there's NO suspension.

If I can sell enough eggs to fellow ADV riders, then I'd get TT to sell me his used (and unabused KTM ADV) so he could upgrade. Before that happened I would like to see him take that BADB up Holman Fork in the Hobble creek area. Is that the one that goes straight up the gulch at a 45 degree tilt, w/ roots? I did it on my XR, but the BADB ain't far off that mark, and will take you across texas straights at 300mph...

who needs fresh organic eggs for the cause?!!!
1. Good idea. But in the interest of full disclosure, a couple hundred dozen eggs per month ought to just about cover the oil, oil filters, oil seals, oil pressure senders, coolant hoses, coolant bleeding, cooling fans, air filters, carb syncs, carb cleanings, smog crap removal, shifter levers, clutch levers, brake levers, hand guards, skid plates, skid plate repairs, crash bars,,crash bar repairs, tappet adjustments, tappet shims, tires, wheel straightening, wheels, shock rebuilds, fork rebuilds, broken bolts, lost bolts, stripped bolts, bent bolts, stripped bolt holes, ... duct tape...

Ok, we can blame the rider for some of that stuff.

Actually you can save a few bucks on tappet shims going to the Harley dealer. Yup the BADB has Harley bones... hope they last.

2. You're thinking of Kirkman Hollow. And no I won't ride the BADB up THAT (you think I'm crazy?)

3. Maybe you could sell your two Six Fiddys and move into a 9x0Adv, a bike which will serve both purposes.

3b. After replacing all that shit on my 9 Fiddy, there's no way I'm selling it, at least not until some of those parts wear out. But you're welcome to ride it anytime (if you promise not to scratch it. Call ahead in case I have to reassemble it).
Old 03-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #17093
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister View Post
1. Good idea. But in the interest of full disclosure, a couple hundred dozen eggs per month ought to just about cover the oil, oil filters, oil seals, oil pressure senders, coolant hoses, coolant bleeding, cooling fans, air filters, carb syncs, carb cleanings, smog crap removal, shifter levers, clutch levers, brake levers, hand guards, skid plates, skid plate repairs, crash bars,,crash bar repairs, tappet adjustments, tappet shims, tires, wheel straightening, wheels, shock rebuilds, fork rebuilds, broken bolts, lost bolts, stripped bolts, bent bolts, stripped bolt holes, ... duct tape...
Post of the month. Now cue Pluric.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #17094
Matified
been there done that

Oddometer: 108
did a little riding this weekend

Started at Ten mile and ended up in Moab, here are a few pics, and video will follow.

Took the KLX650r to places it did not really belong, should have taken a more dirt oriented bike that was at least 50lbs lighter.
I was worn out! The guys I went with had been there many times, and this was my first attempt at Moab.

They were riding, Husaberg 570, KTM 450, KTM 400, and a CRF450x.

any bike bigger than the 650 would probably still be out there as a permanent part of the trails, lesson learned.

Still was a great time, and am looking forward to a return, but with a lighter bike.
Matified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #17095
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 867
Quote:

Epic photo, Pilo. Yer makin Salute whisht he'd been more selective with his his photo models.
We took some pictures about a year ago...I kept almost running him over and ruining the pictures.

Quote:
Not a bad list, but at the least you forgot $200 tires (just the rear tires) and $300 chain and sprockets and a kick stand relocator. Something about a 100 HP dirtbike makes them a bit expensive to run.

Oh, and an easier way to deal with the shims is to use a set of 9.48mm from Hondas or most other 450s. I've been doing that in the 950 with for 10K miles. They slop around a little, but so far no issues.

Just getting it back together after a little valve lovin' yesterday.

pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #17096
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
DCH spent more time face down in the dirt on our Colorado trip than he did on his bike. Something tells me that fool won't have a shiny BADB for more than one ride.
Yeah, that's about right and what I'd expect.. The biggest thing is the low miles... :)

I can hardly afford one but I have a bunch of stuff that is basically "savings" aka shit I can sell... :)

My thought on the regular is since it needs to go in for respring/revalve anyway I guess they can change the travel too... Pretty stubborn on possibly buying JTrue's though I haven't had a single person yet say I should but it...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #17097
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
Post of the month. Now cue Pluric.
Sounds like an honest young man.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #17098
pilo
Rhymes with below

Don't forget the sidestand and centerstand. They need to change with the suspension change.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #17099
pilo
Rhymes with below

Hey guys. I'm taking some low/med experience guys on a couple of day loop early in June. I was thinking about starting in Fillmore, hitting part of the Piute and then heading east maybe spending the night near Torrey and then looping back west and north on day 2. Has anyone put a loop like that together? Any suggestions? These guys will be on dirt bikes, so the less slab runs the better.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #17100
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Knolls Day

With the weather sunny & the temperature up it seemed like a good day ti visit Knolls with the 500 EXC for some testing. Been spending way too much time working Not many people, lots of sand, rocks, blue sky, fresh air. Just wish it was closer.

I think I can see Wendover from here...

This new headlight system that I am developing with John at Advmonster (he has fantastic LED lights) has been occupying much of my time lately. Lousy weather doesn't help..

Knolls has a nice variety of terrain but not much vegetation...

Finally got the GPS mounted...

The sand provided a fun ride & a good test for the new big foot on the kickstand...

Also, finally installed the new 13 L tank. KTM & Acerbis did a good job...

All worked well. This is one fun bike! Not more than the 990 but certainly equal.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote