ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #17176
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetrogradE View Post
These Dakar trucks would be PERFECT for my Bug Out Vehicle.

Wonder what they cost. I have $7k for a downpayment.
If only it was horseshoes. I'm sure you are so close. One more zero and you might
be able to put a sticker on it.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #17177
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
If only it was horseshoes. I'm sure you are so close. One more zero and you might
be able to put a sticker on it.
Yeah, I was being facetious. But c'mon, you can't tell me owning that truck wouldn't be badass.

Figured in the event of a catastrophe and the interstate was clogged, I could just run some stuff over.

I've also considered getting a high-rail as my BOV.

You guys probably think I'm obsessed, that's OK. I'm not, but I love these trucks.
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #17178
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetrogradE View Post
You guys probably think I'm obsessed, that's OK. I'm not, but I love these trucks.
Oh no, not at all. Huh guys?

(Batshit crazy maybe. Walking away, finger slowly circling ear)
Old 03-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #17179
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
I figure I have 2 or 3 sets of old Hella 55s lying around. I also have a brand new 8274 winch lying around too, these are worth something so I might be able to trade it to someone who has a 15K winch lying around. Strap those bad boys to the front bumper, do a little removal of misc junk for ground clearance (like unbolt those front steps - easy), some slightly meatier tires, and then I figured I'd be good to go. About as close to a Dakar truck as I'd ever get...

This is definitely me thinking aloud. I nkow that Kurt W when he sees this is going to think this whole idea is nuts.. . I guess thinking and/or dreaming aloud.. :)

Here she is from the test drive yesterday:

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #17180
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatre View Post
Any one got one they want to sell reasonably priced? Long shot but have to ask.
Doing maintenance on the bike and took it in to Lindsay Machine and they report back saying its cheaper to get a different head. :-(

If not then I guess its time to head to ebay or ksl. Anyone else got a place I should look at?

tia!
When I was riding my CRF250x I put the 250R head in it with Kibble Whites and a hot cam stage 1. Nice upgrade.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #17181
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
I'd like to do this on the White Rim, with a ranger and a bunch of self righteous mountain bikers nearby.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #17182
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,742
MTBrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
I'd like to do this on the White Rim, with a ranger and a bunch of self righteous mountain bikers nearby.
I feel like the MTB crowd on the White Rim are not snooty like some you may run into on the short routes... I've always guessed that's because of the exposure, that it's nice to see people around. It could be that the distance makes them jealous, and you blip out of their world pretty quickly. When I was up on Murphy's Hogback w/ TrailTwister and Walrus their was a whole posse (with a keg) and they were quite cordial. On the descent (counter clockwise) I killed the engine and gravity bombed the hill w/ the whole group on top watching, and I'm sure it was as fast or faster than they could have done it (tighter terrain like hobble creek stuff would be different obviously w/ the MTB being much faster), but the punch line is that would have been the highlight of the trip for some of them, but when i hit the flat, I bump started and didn't regress into a slog pushing to the next fast spot... *sigh* I'm riding this weekend for sure.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #17183
cruiseroutfit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
...I know that Kurt W when he sees this is going to think this whole idea is nuts.. . I guess thinking and/or dreaming aloud.. :)
I dig it dude, think of the combo touring/bike trips you could pull off. It could double as a tow rig for you mini and a comfortable camper could easily be established in the back. The only downside would be finding the time to put it to work, I'm thinking an expedition americas type trip. Do it, and haul my bike too
ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com
cruiseroutfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #17184
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

Unless you go for a ride with the "boys" and their eunichs who need to ride towards "civilization" to save their asses.....from the vulgarity.....
Uncomfortable in multple ways
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #17185
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I think the tires are the least of your problem, it's the tillere blades behind them that
wil leave a reminder of where that thing has been. Hope it increases your egg production
somehow.
That explains a lot ... Tillin',... Dylan, ... At least it's two-wheeled.

How far does it throw a roost?

I'm missing the connection to eggs. Maybe its a farming thing.

I see images of a dirt single-track trail groomer thingy. Just need a comb and some rollers behind. (hey, just trying to keep a thread of biking in the conversation ... don't want to stray **too** far into farming ... or politics ... or religion)
Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #17186
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
I live in an unreinforced masonry home, so I wouldn't be great resource in the case of THE BIG ONE, I'd be a squishy resource.

All that aside though, since i own backpacking gear, i did fill my pack with it and threw 4 days worth of MRE's in there, and the packs are next to the XR's. Funny thing is that I'd be riding into town (if not crushed) to kick start the response. Anyone without a strong back or medical know how would do well to split for more favorable conditions, and opening routes is required to get aid in, so I wouldn't be in a huge hurry to get out or you could be in the way. The neat thing about modern society is that in the case of THE BIG ONE, the Incident Command Centers for every state surrounding us immediately start up to respond... Hold your own for 72 hours is really all you need to plan for. I did like the movie "Wolverines" though, but that's another situation.

72 hours, huh? That's a lot of beer but I can probly cover it. The ice is gonna be a challenge. Actually the challenge will be stashing the beer somewhere I can't find it until I need it. I guess I could go with shitty beer... Nah.

Uh-oh. I said too much didn't I. There's no beer here.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #17187
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
Would adding a Sierra Club sticker be asking too much?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #17188
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
If anyone feels like looking over the 3D topo (7' x 8'?) that covers the wall in my study on Friday evening then PM me for an address. My Grrrrrrrrllll is in Hawaii while I hold the farm together, so it'd be a true sausage fest (since none of you have honeys), but w/ maps, and I'll have every ride that i've ever done (moto) in a single map, color coded for speed, so bring a jump drive.

We'd have to order pizza or something. let me know sooner than later so i can clean up this dive. also, if needs be the shop is warm, but i don't have any wrenching to do.

Sounds fun, but ... Is it too late for Hawaii with the Grrrrrllllls?

Seriously, I'll be there if there's wenching. Oh, you said wrenching. Nevermind.

But I do love sausage pizza. Oh, sausage fest with honey. Nevermind.

Honestly, I'd love to join, sounds like a blast and a great bunch of dudes. But I'm going to Idaho to visit ma and pa and shoot clay pigeons.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #17189
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister View Post
Sounds fun, but ... Is it too late for Hawaii with the Grrrrrllllls?

Seriously, I'll be there if there's wenching. Oh, you said wrenching. Nevermind.

But I do love sausage pizza. Oh, sausage fest with honey. Nevermind.

Honestly, I'd love to join, sounds like a blast and a great bunch of dudes. But I'm going to Idaho to visit ma and pa and shoot clay pigeons.
On like a scale of 1-10 how drunk would you say you are right now?

I don't even want to know what you're not wearing.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #17190
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
x2...........Hey Trailtwister..........I still have your bottle of White Rim wine.....can you make Friday?

cheap beer = Coors light or PBR's.........

Edit: Since there will be drinkin'.....I need to find out if there will be cussin'.........and what about fightin'........and of course......"makin' up".........

It's that sausage fest comment that got me concerned...........
Free wine? Do I have to wait til Friday?

Hey you makin fun of my beer choices? Them's fightin words right there.