ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #17221
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerjwhite View Post
Well that's not fair, even you have a shot with Charlie Sheen...

Are you telling me I could have been a "Goddess"? Be still my beating heart.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #17222
2wheeladv
Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer: 222
Ktm

After buying the 800GS, I sold my trail bike (Yamaha WR450). Now I regret selling it and considering going to a KTM. I dropped by Edge, the new sleds are nice, but damn pricey. I know alot of folks on here ride KTM's, On the used market, are there years or models that I should stay away from?

Thanks for the input.
'06 Big Dog K-9
'03 HD Road King 100 YR '69 Triumph 650cc
2wheeladv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #17223
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeladv View Post
After buying the 800GS, I sold my trail bike (Yamaha WR450). Now I regret selling it and considering going to a KTM. I dropped by Edge, the new sleds are nice, but damn pricey. I know alot of folks on here ride KTM's, On the used market, are there years or models that I should stay away from?

Thanks for the input.
I had an '08 WR450 for a short time. Super smooth, torquey and reliable motor, but suspension wasn't up to par for hard-core desert riding (racing). Sold it and went back to the trusty KTM 300.

I've owned many KTM dirt bikes. Assuming you're talking about '98 or newer bikes, there isn't really anything to "avoid". Just know that with each year, like all bikes, there are little gremlins and issues that need to be addressed.

I assume you're talking about a 450+ sized thumper? If so, the RFS (Racing Four Stroke) motor was the main motor up through 2007. In 2008 is when they made a major change. The RFS motor is a solid motor and a lot of guys will specifically seek out that bike and not want anything newer than 2007. In 2010 I went to the ISDE in Mexico (pit crew....not racer) and one of the guys on the USA Team (who could ride any bike he wanted) rode a 2007 525 specifically so he could have the RFS motor.

All the newer bikes are great as well, but as you've noted come with a hefty price tag. I think that new 500 EXC looks like an amazing dirt-worthy, barely street legal, steed.

No real specific years to avoid, just know that whatever you end up buying (new or used) will require some tweaking to address whatever gremlins are specific to that model year of bike.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #17224
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
sorry, I started typing and this became pretty long...

Generally the later the better with KTMs in my book. I personally would start at about '05 as 03-04 and 00-01 had some rougher forks. In my book '02 or even earlier to 04 is OK as long as the forks have been through as it was mostly valving issues. If they're stock then you'll probably get around to wanting to have this done. However even these forks exceed most Japanese forks other than later 48mm forks Hondas and some other premium models like the Showas.

I have a '02 and am pretty happy. I consider selling it for a newer model but its completely built and setup right and every time I consider it I decide to just keep it... My forks are the smaller size but they are completely dialed and it is a non issue when riding. They actually feel awesome.

The little quirks for each year are very well coved. By '07 they had them really dialed. The RFS engine is a little quirky in terms of funky access and some oddities. 08 and later slightly refine them a little less out of the stone age. Some 08 engines had some slight issues but are mostly OK too. '09 and later are pretty solid...

One thing is KTMs are mostly designed for home maintenance. For '07 and earlier they need to have their valves adjusted more often and this is mostly a DIY job (I do it in about 20-30 minutes, probably once or twice a year) and then oil changes pretty regularly.

Different models do vary in terms of how they ride. For example a lot of dirt bike riders people call them "Austrian Tractors" which generally agree with. I rode a '08 450 and it felt very much so like a tractor, just lugged over everything and felt great. I think admittedly the Honda CRF-X models, if your body size can fit on them as a they are a little smaller, are possibly a better bike as they have better handling. My friends on them including some who were formerly on KTMs called them scalpels and on other sites you'll see a lot of mention of this as they go where you point them and have a different approach. I think some of the late model Yamahas and Kawasakis are this way too, but I don't know a ton about them. I have a friend on a stripped down 220 lbs 450 Yamaha for example, and it's awesome. The KTMs are workhorses though. They take a bad rep for reliability but I think this is based of stuff from the 90s where there were some pretty severe quirks, and then some new model issues here and there. My bike has fallen over in rivers, off ledges, spun out on top of itself, and keeps on trucking. The only issue I've ever, ever had with it was due to an aftermarket part (Baja Designs voltage regulator). That, and they are designed for the owner themselves to keep them in good repair versus at least an older Honda which you can completely neglect sort of like an old AK-47. The newer Hondas are just as maintenance heavy as the KTMs in my opinion...

hope it helps...

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #17225
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

It seems every manufacturer is a little proud of their bikes. I was out at South Valley
to pick up some service work and looked around the showroom some.
The new Yamaha 450 reverse cylinder was $8,300

I guess I've been out of the dirt bike market for awhile. Looking at it thought "Maybe $5K".

Hard to justify with everything already rotting on the trailer.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #17226
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post

I have a '02 and am pretty happy. I consider selling it for a newer model but its completely built and setup right and every time I consider it I decide to just keep it... My forks are the smaller size but they are completely dialed and it is a non issue when riding. They actually feel awesome.
Don't sell that bike. Your bike is pimp.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #17227
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
So anyone that rides it is a whore? Well at least not a cheap one.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #17228
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,771
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=18196400

07 exc can't get much better then that for an rfs bike.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #17229
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=18196400

07 exc can't get much better then that for an rfs bike.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Agreed, that is a completely sick deal and what I paid for my '02...!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #17230
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
thx.. Yeah, that is the plan...

Old 03-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #17231
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
thx.. Yeah, that is the plan...
You just need to sit back, take a BIGGGGGGG bong hit, and chill. Talking about buying diesel moving vans, KTM 9000whatevers, etc. Hahahahah, you're way worse than me.

You're wife can thank me later.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #17232
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You just need to sit back, take a BIGGGGGGG bong hit, and chill. Talking about buying diesel moving vans, KTM 9000whatevers, etc. Hahahahah, you're way worse than me.

You're wife can thank me later.
LOL I've been suffering from this for years, it's true, and its a problem. Big diesel van, definitely moved on from that one. We broke out Brown Sugar this weekend and she's such a trooper that we're going to just stick with her and just put a little more money and time into her, 8 mpg and all, as she only has 92K miles...

Old 03-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #17233
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
LOL I've been suffering from this for years, it's true, and its a problem.
Walrus is an ex-drug lord for big Pharma. He could probably hook you up with some good meds for your condition. He medicated Pluric by request of Pluric's wife. I didn't stop him from buying 20 bikes, but it apparently helped him with other inadequacies.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #17234
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Walrus is an ex-drug lord for big Pharma. He could probably hook you up with some good meds for your condition. He medicated Pluric by request of Pluric's wife. I didn't stop him from buying 20 bikes, but it apparently helped him with other inadequacies.
Placebo.

You would be so proud. I've actually sold 3 bikes.

Starting to sniff around a little, just don't know for what. My kids remodel is
eating up the bike funds.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #17235
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,742
sniff sniff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Placebo.

You would be so proud. I've actually sold 3 bikes.

Starting to sniff around a little, just don't know for what. My kids remodel is
eating up the bike funds.
You might consider the stalwart xr400...

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote