ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #17251
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
sorry, I started typing and this became pretty long...

Generally the later the better with KTMs in my book. I personally would start at about '05 as 03-04 and 00-01 had some rougher forks. In my book '02 or even earlier to 04 is OK as long as the forks have been through as it was mostly valving issues. If they're stock then you'll probably get around to wanting to have this done. However even these forks exceed most Japanese forks other than later 48mm forks Hondas and some other premium models like the Showas.

I have a '02 and am pretty happy. I consider selling it for a newer model but its completely built and setup right and every time I consider it I decide to just keep it... My forks are the smaller size but they are completely dialed and it is a non issue when riding. They actually feel awesome.

The little quirks for each year are very well coved. By '07 they had them really dialed. The RFS engine is a little quirky in terms of funky access and some oddities. 08 and later slightly refine them a little less out of the stone age. Some 08 engines had some slight issues but are mostly OK too. '09 and later are pretty solid...

One thing is KTMs are mostly designed for home maintenance. For '07 and earlier they need to have their valves adjusted more often and this is mostly a DIY job (I do it in about 20-30 minutes, probably once or twice a year) and then oil changes pretty regularly.

Different models do vary in terms of how they ride. For example a lot of dirt bike riders people call them "Austrian Tractors" which generally agree with. I rode a '08 450 and it felt very much so like a tractor, just lugged over everything and felt great. I think admittedly the Honda CRF-X models, if your body size can fit on them as a they are a little smaller, are possibly a better bike as they have better handling. My friends on them including some who were formerly on KTMs called them scalpels and on other sites you'll see a lot of mention of this as they go where you point them and have a different approach. I think some of the late model Yamahas and Kawasakis are this way too, but I don't know a ton about them. I have a friend on a stripped down 220 lbs 450 Yamaha for example, and it's awesome. The KTMs are workhorses though. They take a bad rep for reliability but I think this is based of stuff from the 90s where there were some pretty severe quirks, and then some new model issues here and there. My bike has fallen over in rivers, off ledges, spun out on top of itself, and keeps on trucking. The only issue I've ever, ever had with it was due to an aftermarket part (Baja Designs voltage regulator). That, and they are designed for the owner themselves to keep them in good repair versus at least an older Honda which you can completely neglect sort of like an old AK-47. The newer Hondas are just as maintenance heavy as the KTMs in my opinion...

hope it helps...
Since you put so much into this, I thought I would reply.
I dont know much about the older models, but in 08 and newer you have to make the distinction between the [SX, XC] and the [XC-W, EXC].
The XC has the same motor as the SX, and the XC-W has the same motor as the EXC.
You can equally compare the SX, XC with the Honda's, Yamie's, and Kawie's.
The XC-W, EXC dont really compare, and weren't trying to. They have there own (good) thing going.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #17252
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Placebo.

You would be so proud. I've actually sold 3 bikes.

Starting to sniff around a little, just don't know for what. My kids remodel is
eating up the bike funds.

You've SOLD three bikes? How many do you have?

Sheesh, my lady-friend limits me to one bike at a time, and I can only swap out once every three years. And I'm still luckier than most of my friends.
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #17253
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetrogradE View Post
You've SOLD three bikes? How many do you have?

Sheesh, my lady-friend limits me to one bike at a time, and I can only swap out once every three years. And I'm still luckier than most of my friends.
I was up to 21 including those quad things.

I'm down to only having to register 32 vehicles a year. I have a plaque at the DMV.

Besides, I'm all about quantity, not quality....no Beemers or KTMs.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #17254
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI View Post
Since you put so much into this, I thought I would reply.
I dont know much about the older models, but in 08 and newer you have to make the distinction between the [SX, XC] and the [XC-W, EXC].
The XC has the same motor as the SX, and the XC-W has the same motor as the EXC.
You can equally compare the SX, XC with the Honda's, Yamie's, and Kawie's.
The XC-W, EXC dont really compare, and weren't trying to. They have there own (good) thing going.

On the pre 08 the mxc/xc are long stroke but have an sx trans with 5-6 added. The first gear is really high and makes riding single track and high speed stuff a little difficult. You either have a low top end or a 1st gear that is like third on most bikes. A 07 450xc is different and a short stroke hybrid trans mix of exc xc gears. For all around riding the exc is the way to go.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #17255
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
On the pre 08 the mxc/xc are long stroke but have an sx trans with 5-6 added. The first gear is really high and makes riding single track and high speed stuff a little difficult. You either have a low top end or a 1st gear that is like third on most bikes. A 07 450xc is different and a short stroke hybrid trans mix of exc xc gears. For all around riding the exc is the way to go.
Looks like you need a degree in Orangeology to decide.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #17256
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Looks like you need a degree in Orangeology to decide.

Or you could not decide and end up with 32 vehicles.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #17257
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
For the record, I had an 07 450 XC and absolutely loved it. Super snappy motor, generous top end speed, plenty low 1st gear, no mechanical issues in the 4,500 or so miles I owned it. (I rebuilt the top end). I'll buy another one some day, when money allows.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #17258
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Well some the first gear was too tall, some too low, needed street legal, needed to travel 2 up,
needed the kids to be able to come, kids have friends, need some at the lake so I don't have to trailer,
needed a trail bike, needed commuter scooter, wife needs a Sunday scooter, getting old needed something
lighter, next thing I know I need more garages so you see it's all about some basic needs.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #17259
Singletrkmind
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Have you discussed your apparent aversion to Orange with your therapist?

Quote:
Besides, I'm all about quantity, not quality....no Beemers or KTMs.
yada, yada, yada
Singletrkmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #17260
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
Or in Utah, 32 wives.

What would be more high maintenance, the KTM's, or the wives?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #17261
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
Or in Utah, 32 wives.

What would be more high maintenance, the KTM's, or the wives?
They would be about equal maintenance if you wanted to ride either one.
Both will throw you off with the same callous disregard.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #17262
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrkmind View Post
Have you discussed your apparent aversion to Orange with your therapist?
Yes. They feel I had too much love as a child and was spoiled from and early age with
Japanese dependability. I'll give up some HP and a couple inches of travel to know when I
hit the magic button I'll be rewarded with vrooom, vrooom.

(Okay, there was the one little incident in Southern Utah that we all have forgotton, right? )
Old 03-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #17263
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
I'll give up some HP and a couple inches of travel to know when I
hit the magic button I'll be rewarded with vrooom, vrooom.

Your wife said that to her cohorts after your wedding. Good on ya!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #17264
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
Your wife said that to her cohorts after your wedding. Good on ya!
She gave up more than a "Few inches" Please don't tell her.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #17265
2wheeladv
Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
sorry, I started typing and this became pretty long...

Generally the later the better with KTMs in my book. I personally would start at about '05 as 03-04 and 00-01 had some rougher forks. In my book '02 or even earlier to 04 is OK as long as the forks have been through as it was mostly valving issues. If they're stock then you'll probably get around to wanting to have this done. However even these forks exceed most Japanese forks other than later 48mm forks Hondas and some other premium models like the Showas.

I have a '02 and am pretty happy. I consider selling it for a newer model but its completely built and setup right and every time I consider it I decide to just keep it... My forks are the smaller size but they are completely dialed and it is a non issue when riding. They actually feel awesome.

The little quirks for each year are very well coved. By '07 they had them really dialed. The RFS engine is a little quirky in terms of funky access and some oddities. 08 and later slightly refine them a little less out of the stone age. Some 08 engines had some slight issues but are mostly OK too. '09 and later are pretty solid...

One thing is KTMs are mostly designed for home maintenance. For '07 and earlier they need to have their valves adjusted more often and this is mostly a DIY job (I do it in about 20-30 minutes, probably once or twice a year) and then oil changes pretty regularly.

Different models do vary in terms of how they ride. For example a lot of dirt bike riders people call them "Austrian Tractors" which generally agree with. I rode a '08 450 and it felt very much so like a tractor, just lugged over everything and felt great. I think admittedly the Honda CRF-X models, if your body size can fit on them as a they are a little smaller, are possibly a better bike as they have better handling. My friends on them including some who were formerly on KTMs called them scalpels and on other sites you'll see a lot of mention of this as they go where you point them and have a different approach. I think some of the late model Yamahas and Kawasakis are this way too, but I don't know a ton about them. I have a friend on a stripped down 220 lbs 450 Yamaha for example, and it's awesome. The KTMs are workhorses though. They take a bad rep for reliability but I think this is based of stuff from the 90s where there were some pretty severe quirks, and then some new model issues here and there. My bike has fallen over in rivers, off ledges, spun out on top of itself, and keeps on trucking. The only issue I've ever, ever had with it was due to an aftermarket part (Baja Designs voltage regulator). That, and they are designed for the owner themselves to keep them in good repair versus at least an older Honda which you can completely neglect sort of like an old AK-47. The newer Hondas are just as maintenance heavy as the KTMs in my opinion...

hope it helps...
Thank you for the great info on KTM. I'm sold on KTM and now need to find the right bike.
'06 Big Dog K-9
'03 HD Road King 100 YR '69 Triumph 650cc
2wheeladv is offline   Reply With Quote