ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #17266
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf44 View Post
Anyone with experience on a Yamaha Tenere....i am considering a new bike?
PM me. South Valley has a pretty blue one waiting for you.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #17267
2wheeladv
Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI View Post
Since you put so much into this, I thought I would reply.
I dont know much about the older models, but in 08 and newer you have to make the distinction between the [SX, XC] and the [XC-W, EXC].
The XC has the same motor as the SX, and the XC-W has the same motor as the EXC.
You can equally compare the SX, XC with the Honda's, Yamie's, and Kawie's.
The XC-W, EXC dont really compare, and weren't trying to. They have there own (good) thing going.
During my used KTM bike search I'm running into a lot of e-start only bikes. Opinions/experiences I've always had both electric and kick. It had be a long walk out of the woods if something happens to the battery.
'06 Big Dog K-9
'03 HD Road King 100 YR '69 Triumph 650cc
2wheeladv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #17268
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeladv View Post
During my used KTM bike search I'm running into a lot of e-start only bikes. Opinions/experiences I've always had both electric and kick. It had be a long walk out of the woods if something happens to the battery.
Bump start............
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #17269
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Or just ride with a Yamaha guy with a jumper cable.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #17270
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,771
Quote:
They must be 08 or newer xcf. Rfs engines had kick start unless someone pulled it off and 08 newer exc xcw should as well. I wouldn't want an offroad bike without a kick start. A dead battery could make a fun day turn to a pita.

What are you going to use the bike for? Racing trail riding desert etc?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #17271
2wheeladv
Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
They must be 08 or newer xcf. Rfs engines had kick start unless someone pulled it off and 08 newer exc xcw should as well. I wouldn't want an offroad bike without a kick start. A dead battery could make a fun day turn to a pita.

Riding trails and a small amount of dirt roads mainly. I ride the 800 GS for longer rides.
'06 Big Dog K-9
'03 HD Road King 100 YR '69 Triumph 650cc

2wheeladv screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 05:38 PM
2wheeladv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #17272
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,771
Quote:
Riding trails and a small amount of dirt roads mainly. I ride the 800 GS for longer rides.
I'd try and find a xcw or exc. Any year would work but some 08s had engine issues. It will be the best trans/engine and the suspension will be more forgiving. They will also have a kicker, so you won't have to ride with Yamaha riders.

frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #17273
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

We interrupt this potential dead battery dilemma for this important news flash......

This building is right next to mine. It's my brother-in-laws. All my tenants were
evacuated and it looks like his building had a lot of interior damage.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1965...cid=featured-3

Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #17274
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,458
Shit!!!!!! That sucks. Insured I'm sure. But what a PITA.
Keep a close eye on the rebuild contractors that bill the insurance company. They will pretend that you have nothing to worry about and they will have you better than new in no time. They make a ton of money off the insurance. Ask the company lots of questions. If you can pocket the money that the insurance is gonna pay and do some of the work on your own, you will come out ahead.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #17275
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,458
Quote:

08 and newer SX and XC's had no kick start. I have 4 friends with 08/09 XC's. I had an 08 xc. I also got a bud with a 2012 SX. Non of us ever had a problem with battery starts only. Also, the motors are solid. haven't had or heard any problems with these motors (different than the -W and EXC motors). They run strong.
These motors are more like the super X bikes. They hit hard and are revers. The -W's and EXC's are a bit tamer for the lack of a better word.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #17276
JJJZJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quick question for the SLC riders out there...I just took my rear wheel off to get some new rubber put on and noticed the wheel bearings on my bike are shot. Im not familiar with places to source parts being new to the area, so I want to know if you all know of any places of business close to SLC where I can get five 6204-2RS wheel bearings?

With these 70 degree days on the horizon, I dont want to miss any riding if i can help it.

Thanks for the help.

-Jon

Pics: http://jjjzj.smugmug.com/
JJJZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #17277
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJZJ View Post
Quick question for the SLC riders out there...I just took my rear wheel off to get some new rubber put on and noticed the wheel bearings on my bike are shot. Im not familiar with places to source parts being new to the area, so I want to know if you all know of any places of business close to SLC where I can get five 6204-2RS wheel bearings?

With these 70 degree days on the horizon, I dont want to miss any riding if i can help it.

Thanks for the help.

-Jon
Just do your normal Google search - bearings salt lake

Kaman will have them

So will McGuire, Motion Industries

All are out west on 21st St

Lots of sellers on eBay as well with fast shipping.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #17278
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
I'd try and find a xcw or exc. Any year would work but some 08s had engine issues. It will be the best trans/engine and the suspension will be more forgiving. They will also have a kicker, so you won't have to ride with Yamaha riders.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #17279
ScottG
Razor Sharp

Oddometer: 264
RIDING PARTNER BAILED!!!!

I'm riding this weekend to Moab the long way through Bryce/Escalate, Torrey, Hanksville, and Green River. I have a room reserved in Bryce Friday at the Ruby Inn and the Sleep Inn Saturday in Moab. I plan on some dirt between Hanksville and Green River Sat. Anyone want to join me and share the rooms? It's going to great riding weather. PM me or give me call 801-381-4413 for more details. I will be leaving Friday around noon.

ScottG screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 08:42 PM
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #17280
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Riding partner bailed. I am riding this weekend to Moab the long way through Bryce/escalate, Torrey, Hanksville, and Green river. I have a room reserved in Bryce Friday at the Ruby Inn and the Sleep Inn Saturday in Moab. I plan on some dirt between Hanksville and Green river Sat. Anyone want to join me and share the rooms? It's going to great riding weather. PM me or give me call 801-381-4413 for more details. I will be leaving Friday around noon.
Hmmm, that sounds like a fun weekend. I'm painting. Gotta get a unit ready by the end of the month.
Someday I WILL have a life again. Have a good ride and take some "Rub it in" photos.