ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #17446
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Got back from our 4 day trip down to Green River / Swell / Moab area... Here was a highlight among many many more. Trip report coming whenever I get a chance. What a blast...

Quote:
trackhead Yesterday 07:34 PM

Caption contest..........
Rode hard and put away wet...........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #17447
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

Not bad.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #17448
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
lets just say this... There is a video... :)

(coming shortly)
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #17449
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Strong work.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #17450
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Got back from our 4 day trip down to Green River / Swell / Moab area... Here was a highlight among many many more. Trip report coming whenever I get a chance. What a blast...

I was just there for 4 days of riding as well (last Wednesday through Sunday). That picture is at the bottom of Dead Cow Wash. It was rideable on Wednesday. We went back and rode it again on Friday and those logs that helped you get across were all floating in several feet of water so we did not attempt it again for fear of having the exact result you show above :)

However, we did ride across the head of Ten Mile at Dripping Springs (where the road crosses). My son chose the one spot out of 100 to cross where the water was at least waist deep. He didn't' completely submerge his bike, and at least had the mindset to immediately try to keep the airbox above water (brand new 2012 KX250F).

Pulled the air filter and saw water and sand in the intake. Rather than take any chances I towed him back to camp 10 miles. Just tore the bike down Sunday night and found some sand on the intake valves, but no water in the oil or crank. Taking all the valves apart tonight to try and preserve what I can.

I feel your pain.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #17451
dakardad
Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer: 431
On the Buckhorn wash rd. Going South, a few miles past the I70 underpass is a 'motorcycle trailhead'.
What trail is that and whats it like?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #17452
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakardad View Post
On the Buckhorn wash rd. Going South, a few miles past the I70 underpass is a 'motorcycle trailhead'.
What trail is that and whats it like?
I think you're talking about this one.....right?

If so, that is the trailhead to 5MOH (Five Miles of Hell). Super fun trail, but only if you like Trials type riding. Definitely not a "big-bike" trail...regular dirt bikes or trials bikes for sure.

A few miles further south is another marked Motorcycle trailhead. This will get you access to the Blue/Green/Orange and Red trails. Blue/Green/Orange are much more "mild" and just typical desert singletrack.

There is also the Waterfall Trail singletrack on the Behind the Reef road just west of Temple Mountain. All of these trails are part of the Temple Mountain trail system, originally known as the "Dick Brass" trail system. Dick Brass is THE man that we all owe all these trails to....he literally created them all (story is that he originally created 5MOH to piss off the mountain bikers :)

The trails are maintained and sponsored by the Sage Riders motorcycle club of which I am a member. There are some very dedicated individuals in the club, particularly in Emery and Carbon counties that help maintain these trails.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #17453
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

We hit that too. Excellent work by Sage and very neat. Here are some highlights.. (Bikes were loaded as well)

There was some fun sweepey stuff though and some fun deeper sand washes that I enjoyed...

Old 04-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #17454
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

These photos are via that northern trailhead. It took us about 1/2 way through on day 2 of riding after a fairly long and ass-kicking day 1, so we were slow moving especially after riding fun sweepie double track of Coal Wash, Eva Conover , and Eagle Canyon that morning, so I think we would have opted for something easier in hindsight. But it was fun and once we did start feeling it on the less techie sections (basically, anything other than the "extreme" section of Orange Trail) then it was a lot of fun.. We rode Orange to Red to the Temple Mountain side. Also burned up a surprisingly high amount of gas in the sand so we had to bail and head straight to Hanksville from the Goblin Valley trailhead, though we could have hit someone up I'm sure for gas as there were riders all over the place...
Old 04-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #17455
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight View Post
I was just there for 4 days of riding as well (last Wednesday through Sunday). That picture is at the bottom of Dead Cow Wash. It was rideable on Wednesday. We went back and rode it again on Friday and those logs that helped you get across were all floating in several feet of water so we did not attempt it again for fear of having the exact result you show above :)

However, we did ride across the head of Ten Mile at Dripping Springs (where the road crosses). My son chose the one spot out of 100 to cross where the water was at least waist deep. He didn't' completely submerge his bike, and at least had the mindset to immediately try to keep the airbox above water (brand new 2012 KX250F).

Pulled the air filter and saw water and sand in the intake. Rather than take any chances I towed him back to camp 10 miles. Just tore the bike down Sunday night and found some sand on the intake valves, but no water in the oil or crank. Taking all the valves apart tonight to try and preserve what I can.

I feel your pain.
Crazy and that is exactly where that spot is. We attempted all routes, one guy (least experienced too -- gotta love that) made it cleanly across. The rest of us had issues but I was the only one who got completely submerged. Has me spooked to maybe check by valves though she's still running just fine, filter definitely got wet though...

We were tempted to run 10 mile but didn't, opted for Mary's / Guy's / Enduro and some of the other things home. One guy ended up putting a small crack in his angle for a broken bone as we were cooked. thought it was just a sprain but it ended up being a small crack. Poor guy.. Had a f'ing blast though and what a great area. Luge was awesome too...

Here is me attempting to cross the bridge at first...

And what looked like a doable crossing according to the stick. I went in the super deep spot instead of where by friend was guiding me, I misinterpreted his instructions of where he wanted me to go...

how to get your bike drained out and back running in 10 minutes... (use kick starter to test drainage to avoid hydrolock). Did not get any water in the oil luckily so I don't think it sucked any water in, as far as I can tell...
Old 04-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #17456
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Crazy and that is exactly where that spot is. We attempted all routes, one guy (least experienced too -- gotta love that) made it cleanly across. The rest of us had issues but I was the only one who got completely submerged. Has me spooked to maybe check by valves though she's still running just fine, filter definitely got wet though...

We were tempted to run 10 mile but didn't, opted for Mary's / Guy's / Enduro and some of the other things home. One guy ended up putting a small crack in his angle for a broken bone as we were cooked. thought it was just a sprain but it ended up being a small crack. Poor guy.. Had a f'ing blast though and what a great area. Luge was awesome too...
That looks eerily familiar. That is exactly what my son did at the head of Ten Mile (we were crossing at Dripping Springs after riding the Enduro Loop and down the Big Drops). Everyone else took a different route, and he picked a spot and his front wheel dipped in very deep just like your picture. He knew he was committed so he gassed it hard and the back end sunk in over the air box. He immediately killed the bike and lifted it up and I "dove" in (over my waist deep and we lifted the bike out).

We didn't even attempt to kick the kickstarter. We tipped it backwards and a little bit of water came out the exhaust but not much. I then pulled the air filter and it was soaked and looked into the throttle body and there was evidence of sand all through the intake.

I played it safe and towed him back to camp at White Wash.

A complete tear down revealed no water in the oil or crank. Cylinder and piston looked good, but I had to pull all the valves apart. Putting it back together tonight and he should be racing it this weekend at Cherry Creek with any luck :)

I'm sure if I had run it it would have destroyed the bike. I can't believe yours is still running after a complete submersion.

Several years ago I sunk my 300 in quicksand in the exact spot where you submerged your bike at the bottom of Dead Cow. It took about 5 of us to get it out.

Good times :) Your ride sounds awesome.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #17457
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,136
DRZ SM wheels for sale.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...939702&cat=463
Old 04-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #17458
dakardad
Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight View Post
I think you're talking about this one.....right?

If so, that is the trailhead to 5MOH (Five Miles of Hell). Super fun trail, but only if you like Trials type riding. Definitely not a "big-bike" trail...regular dirt bikes or trials bikes for sure.

A few miles further south is another marked Motorcycle trailhead. This will get you access to the Blue/Green/Orange and Red trails. Blue/Green/Orange are much more "mild" and just typical desert singletrack.

There is also the Waterfall Trail singletrack on the Behind the Reef road just west of Temple Mountain. All of these trails are part of the Temple Mountain trail system, originally known as the "Dick Brass" trail system. Dick Brass is THE man that we all owe all these trails to....he literally created them all (story is that he originally created 5MOH to piss off the mountain bikers :)

The trails are maintained and sponsored by the Sage Riders motorcycle club of which I am a member. There are some very dedicated individuals in the club, particularly in Emery and Carbon counties that help maintain these trails.
Ya thats exactly it.
Thanks alot. :)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #17459
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
Caption contest..........
We all live in an orange submarine.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #17460
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,601
Contest winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
We all live in an orange submarine.
+1 for best subtitle!

look! an orange bike w/ aqua blue fluids! ...it's all in the mind... ( if you don't get it, watch the cartoon.)

no! it's a red bike w/ oil colored fluids! ...it's all in the mind...

no! it's a blue bike w/ oil colored fluids! ...it's all in the mind...

no! it's a yellow bike w/ oil colored fluids! ...it's all in the mind...

GISkev screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 08:20 PM
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote