ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #17836
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
Just moved to SLC. This looks like the locals thread.
I ride a monster and a husky TE410. Looking to make a bunch of use of the husky. Anyone ride trails and such close by?
Got a boat? Double Moo and I can tell you the lakes.

As far as trails.... Trackhead, GSKev, Mcnight, Trailtwister and a few others
are mental maps of Utah.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #17837
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
Welcome to Utardia. The only thing these guys here ride is Walrus' ...................

You picked a good year to move here, as stuff is drying out faster than ever in the mountains.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #17838
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #17839
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 466
Mountain Highs

I experienced the pleasure of trails biking with Frog and mini-Frog Saturday.

After a short time, I switched to a machine I could sorta control, and soon found a high mountain boner-vista.

Mount Nebo loop road is open (to vehicles narrow enough to sneak around the gate)

Forgot to mention I saw a bird.

Down to Turkey Valley, and up Maple Canyon. I noticed a lot of cars parked here, and had to checkitout.

I don't know why they call it 'Box Canyon'.

Near the ridge top ...

Coulda probly made it downhill through this snowdrift.

Looking at the map, I see it descends through 'Log Canyon', which had a certain early-season-deadfall' ring to it. I didn't see any BADB picker-uppers standing around, and it was 6:00 pm, so I chicken-shit turned around.

One last high mountain view, to the East looking down into Turkey Valley (Fountain Green, Moroni, etc).

Hauling ass through the construction zone, I got a little help checking my newly-recalibrated speedo...

Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #17840
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister View Post
I experienced the pleasure of trails biking with Frog and mini-Frog Saturday.

Hauling ass through the construction zone, I got a little help checking my newly-recalibrated speedo...

Bastards, always ruining the fun.

Some good photos there!

Originally Posted by z987k
Just moved to SLC. This looks like the locals thread.
I ride a monster and a husky TE410. Looking to make a bunch of use of the husky. Anyone ride trails and such close by?

Welcome to UT. Lots opening earlier than last year. I was hoping to head up above Timble Fork this weekend, but can't do it now.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #17841
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,452

Box canyon? Looks like they should call it something else.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #17842
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI View Post

Box canyon? Looks like they should call it something else.
Chlamydia Canyon
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #17843
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post

You're going to get us banned again.........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #17844
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
Chlamydia Canyon
The Walrus Tunnel of Love?

Cave of Conception?

Sooo, maybe there really is a Mother Earth.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #17845
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,709
XR650R cylinderectomy

The little clip i mentioned a few weeks ago is the piston pin wristpin thingy, so I'll be tearing my top end down if anyone wants to see how to do it. If you can rebuild a camp stove you wouldn't have any trouble w/ an XR! I won't be doing it for a week or so though.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #17846
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,761
I finally put my SE together and got it registered. And decided to take the long way home form the Heber DMV.

frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #17847
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,144
the four hour oil change

Thought I'd better take a few minutes and change the oil in both the GS and the 530... as long as I'm getting oily I may as well do both. I've got an hour, no prob...

Started with the GS - I've been running full synth for the last 30k miles and I am regular as miralax on the 3000 mile interval. The boys at the shop keep telling me it's OK to go 5-6k on full synth , but I'm a bit anal - (not in a Pluric kind of way). So this time I'm at 4500 so I'm feeling like I'm trying to do what they recommend... but still shy about going all the way (like farm animals around Infidel). I drain it out to find it is still honey colored and looking great. I decided not to change the filter (another shop recommendation - if you do change full synth that often at least change the filter every other time and save yourself a few bucks!). So after getting it drained I proceed to pull the filter - old habits die... About the time I get the oil drained from the filter I remember I wasn't going to change it - too late... head over to find I don't have another filter. Cleaned up the one I took off, inspected the seal, and reinstalled it. Topped it back off and put it away.

Got out the 530 and took off the skid plate - did so without a lot of swearing, proud of myself. Again being anal I change both the oil and the gear lube everytime - and the boys at the shop say that is a waste of oil, change the gear oil as per specs... yada, yada, yada. So I drop down and pull the oil plug, smugly admiring how clean the oil was I realized that I had pulled the gear box plug... shit, shit, shit. Oh well, now I get to change them both! So I proceed to drain the oil - nice and honey colored again - boy I am proud of how good it looks, and most likely stupid for changing it so often. I head around to the right side of the bike and pull the gear oil level bolt - again anal about the level instead of just adding the required amount. That's when I noticed the bolt had a lot of aluminum shavings on it... must have gotten a bit stripped - but it was in tight. So I got my wife to watch the fill level while I went to the left side to pour in the oil - yes, thank you KTM for putting these on opposite sides of the bike, necessitating 2 people to fill up the stupid gear box. I pour in a full liter without is bleeding out the other side (.9 is the spec).

I decide this is close enough to overfull so I head to the right side to put in the fill bolt. I spin it in with just the socket on the extension by hand and it never grabs a single ounce of bite... shit shit shit. I take it back out and find more aluminum shavings on it. After conjugating some new swear words I decide to tap the hole from the original M6 to and M7. I have no extension for the tap so I had to take off the peg - more swearing ensued. At this point I'm feeling that I probably shouldn't proceed based on the way the rest of my project had gone. Fuck that, I know what I'm doing. So I got the tap in and very gently wound it through, backed it out clean and cleaned up all the shavings (all that I could find!) Head over to my nice new every-size-you-can-think-of-for-a-bike metric bolt set only to find I don't have a M7x1.0. Shit shit shit. I head over to Home Depot hoping they hay actually have this size... believing I'll have to continue to Lowes as they have a better metric selection. Unbefuckinglievable, they had an M7x1.0x10, nearly crapped myself with excitement right there (Pluric is old... he know this could happen). Couldn't find a copper/brass washer for a compression seal so I decided that I would go heavy on the locktite to seal it, since I am never taking this bolt out again. Got home and put the bolt in - all is well! till next time.

Proceed to fill the oil... not enough oil left, shit shit shit... could have checked that before heading out the first time - no way, we must be getting paid by the mile. At least I can get the peg back on before heading out. Some Austrian Cocksucker designed this to be impossible for me to deal with. A good 30 minutes later, with new scratches on my frame, I got the bastard in. Went and got some oil, which is good because in my frustration I may have just mixed what had to get enough to fill it. Got back and topped off the oil, all is well and calmness returns. Figured I'd head out back and pressure wash it before putting the skid plate back on. Not issues there - and I have a clean bike! Unfortunately the same aforementioned Austrian Cocksucker had previously designed the skid plate, before he was promoted to chief peg fuckerupper. My calm demeanor escalated as I fought the plate for a while - you'd think it was designed by someone with Japanese sized hands - too big of fingers had me drop the clamp over and over down into the plate - if I had a welder it may be permanently installed now. I hate this plate - may need to look at another design. Putting the tools away I found the spare GS filter... figures. Good thing the Warfarin prohibits me from drinking or I'd have been shit faced by now.

I finished by tightening the chain - which went unbelievably slick. If you've ever golfed you will know that holes 9 and 18 are typically easy - this lets you end on a good note and forget about how shitty of a time you had for the past 3 hours. Chain tightening was my 18th hole!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #17848
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Had my first ride today on a Thumper, a DRZ-400. Good God, that thing was a) gutless and b) buzzzzzzzzzy. Now, these are both relative assessments, in comparison to my ST1300. The gutless doesn't really bother me much, it's something I can cope with if I a thumper lands in my paddock. The buzzzzz? Not so sure. In the world of current/recent production thumpers, where does the DRZ-400 family sit on the buzz spectrum?
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #17849
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,042

From Frogs post on down...

Thats some funny shit, Moo!
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #17850
z987k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Got a boat? Double Moo and I can tell you the lakes.

As far as trails.... Trackhead, GSKev, Mcnight, Trailtwister and a few others
are mental maps of Utah.
No boat. Let me know if anyone does anything on the weekends. Would love to meet up with some people and get an idea of the area. I've got a plate on the husky, which is good enough for UT right? It's set up 95/5 dirt-street.
z987k is offline   Reply With Quote