ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #18016
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,164
Yeah, we did what he suggested in reverse, it seems. It was a fine ride for a morning. As it warmed up, more people came out, and that's not always good. I was nearly rammed by a guy and his wee daughter, they were on a pretty old XR, I would say early eighties.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #18017
Big-K
Motorhead

Oddometer: 113
Super Secret Cache Valley Goodness

Headed up to Cache Valley on Saturday to ride with an old work buddy, and his buddies. 5 of us total. They were all rep'in for team Honda (couple of 450's and a 2 stroke to keep things old school). Completed a 55mile loop, consisting of 25mi double track, 15 single track, and 15 gravel freeway back to the truck at the end of the day (could have done almost all on single / double, but monkey butt had set in).

Some really nice mountain meadows. Double track.

A bit of off camber fun

some nice ridgeline scenery

Here's where things start to get interesting. The first descent into single track heaven. The old timers that our group consulted said we would never make it this early in the summer. However,with the abismal snow this year, and the warm and dry June, we thought we'd give it a go.

The drift that you can see proved to be the only obstacle.

Holly shit, there's ice under that dirt.

Judging by the only a few tracks through the snow, we were the 2nd group to make it this season.

The afore mentioned gorgeous single track.

Group shot

A little rock riding

My favorite pucker factor section of the ride. 1' wide trail on a 35degree slope. No mistakes allowed.

One final group shot before doing the gravel freeway back tot he parking lot.

Does everyone in this world have a 4 wheeler or SxS these days? Had a couple that would just not get out of the way. One farmer John riding helmetless on his quad even sped up when 2 of us attempted to pass.

Overall, some awesome riding, temps in the low 80's made for a great escape from the valley's high 90's.

Big-K screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 06:36 PM
Big-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #18018
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Pretty sad guys....

Not sure if anyone saw on the freeway this morning at about 2700 South, but the bike was a 1150 GS and I'm pretty sure I even know the bike. There is a guy who commutes every morning on his GS and parks right in my parking garage. He's a taller guy with great, well loved and well used GS that has a boat load of miles on it. It's stickered and completely used for its intended use and the guy completely embodies the spirit of the ADV crowd. I'm pretty sure this was the bike. He is AGATT but the bike was in really bad shape with both of its wheels broken off and in a million pieces. I would be surprised if he made it based on how bad the bike looked. If that is the case, RIP....

My vote, commuting every morning in my car, is on the freeways don't commute on a bike. Today even before I got to the accident was one of those "truly lethargic" days on the freeway. Just everyone completely out of it and driving like idiots. There was a woman in a mini cooper this morning in particular that was very bad. It is a risk on a bike that I just don't think it's worth it. If you're on city streets I think it might be a little better, but being on the freeways in the morning is just putting yourself at unneeded danger. This guy commuted ever day and my opinion is it is just a matter of time and some things you can control, some you can't. Obviously it makes me very sad....

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #18019
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer: 335
^ that is really scary. I drive for work and am on the freeway constantly. It is a scary place! I come from out east though and this place is much less terrifying, but at the same time the speeds are greater out here for traffic. I do hope he did make it to ride another day. As motorcyclists we all know and take the risk everyday of riding.

On a lighter note, I did sell my XT500 and am looking to get into a real trail bike I can get out and explore on. I want something I can ride everything utah has to offer, from single track to the desert. I have mainly had my eyes on mid 90s RMX250, KDX200, and WR250. They are all fairly cheap now and seem to be good all around bikes. I havent been on a 2 stroke dirtbike in a few years and really do miss it. I also just found out that there are some trails not far from me in sugarhouse. The bountiful trails look to be the closest and something I could hit up after work. Are there any other trails fairly close to me? American Fork i heard is great but it is a bit farther. Any and all input is appreciated!
RiverRatRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #18020
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,782
ugh....^^^

Wipe out: what a drag. I happen to think the freeways are safer than surface streets since all the traffic is moving the same direction and there's no side street friction, but that's just my experience. I ride all year round, but just a short stretch of freeway. ...on another note:

Fresh Pig!

I just finished a top end rebuild on my XR650R, and had Harcus fix a crack in my frame, so I'm going to hit the B Wednesday evening if anyone wants to go.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #18021
Big-K
Motorhead

Oddometer: 113
Fresh Pig!

I just finished a top end rebuild on my XR650R, and had Harcus fix a crack in my frame, so I'm going to hit the B Wednesday evening if anyone wants to go.[/QUOTE]

What time you thinking on Wednesday?
Big-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #18022
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Hi Guys. I'm in the market for a used Trials bike, probably something in the $2,000 - $2,500 range. Anybody know of any decent ones anywhere in Utah? There was a nice 2003 Sherco on KSL but it's already sold.

Would prefer 2000 or newer...most I've seen in that price range are in the 2000-2005 vintae.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #18023
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Hi guys,
I have a couple of 1/2 to 2/3 worn, but decent life on them left Dunlops lying around:

I'd really like to see these go to someone hungry who will use them or has a bike but not a lot of money, or a good spare bike where they'll be mounted and used. I was one of those guys not too long ago so I'd like to pay it forward if possible.

- Rear 606 (wears long) 18" (gone)
- Rear 952 (good intermediate terrain tire) 18"
- Front 952 pretty good but some cracks in the lugs from road time. 21"

Price is free-fiddy of course... I work in SLC/live in PC...

thanks

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 01:58 PM
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #18024
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Hi guys,
I have a couple of 1/2 to 2/3 worn, but decent life on them left Dunlops lying around:

- Rear 606 (wears long) 18"

Price is free-fiddy of course... I work in SLC/live in PC...
Ya, I have about 15 of those that anyone is welcome to.

BigK, Wednesday evening at the B... 6?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #18025
Raddroy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
Great to meet and ride with you yesterday! Oh, and thanks especially for the push out of the ditch!
Paul
good to meet you..that one section was kind of a bitch....we made it thru though! we'll have to ride again soon...
Raddroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #18026
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight View Post
Hi Guys. I'm in the market for a used Trials bike, probably something in the $2,000 - $2,500 range. Anybody know of any decent ones anywhere in Utah? There was a nice 2003 Sherco on KSL but it's already sold.

Would prefer 2000 or newer...most I've seen in that price range are in the 2000-2005 vintae.
You should be able to find something for that price. I paid 1900 for my 03 gas gas and I think fano paid a hundred bucks more for his 04. They're out there just keep looking. You could also post on Utah trials Facebook page that you are looking for one. I'll also ask the guys in ride with.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #18027
Kanook
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
You should be able to find something for that price. I paid 1900 for my 03 gas gas and I think fano paid a hundred bucks more for his 04. They're out there just keep looking. You could also post on Utah trials Facebook page that you are looking for one. I'll also ask the guys in ride with.
Actually when Fano can't get his back together it will be for sale cheap
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #18028
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Thanks Frog. I signed up and posted on the Utah Trials Facebook page today so hoping that will get me some leads. I've always wanted a Trials bike and with Josh going to the ISDE in September, this was the perfect excuse to unload a bike (the KLR) and fund the purchase of a Trials bike that he can use for training in the backyard.

Now I just need to find one.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #18029
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Fellas,

I just got another lot of Rotopax gear direct from the factory (fuel tanks are factory seconds, the rest of the lot are firsts).

I get these items in small batches (10-15 tanks at a time) and they seem to sell out fast.

PM me or hit me direct at davismfg at gmail if you're interested.

I'm leaving for Lake Powell next week so this is the last batch I'll be shipping for ~3+ weeks.

Or you can call / text at 835-5thousand2

Steven
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #18030
GISkev
wwfsmd?

tomorrow anyone?

I just took the Fresh Pig out for a hard break in, and i do have to say

anyone want to ride a big tour tomorrow?