ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #18166
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,653
XR400 advice...

...so on an equally pathetic note... I have this friend that has an XR400, and he was checking the oil and there was a little bit too much in there, so he happily thought that putting 4 inches of surgical tubing on a little suction thingy was the answer. my friend drew out the unwanted extra oil and the hot oil made the surgical tubing hot and loose and it fell into the frame where the oil is stored. He immediately grabbed a triple action pulley and hoisted it upside down in his shop, and for all the oil on the the floor there was no tubing to be found. he then pull the drain plug on the bottom of frame and probing w/ bailing wire nor compressed air yielded sight of said tubing.

he called me, since I'm such a thoughtful and awesome wrench, and I told him that I was stumped and would hit up my wise friends on the interwebs, since I figured that if he posted directly that the mighty adventure rider wrenches would piss themselves laughing at this sorry wank...

So, any advice for my buddie? Could he invert it and flush it w/ water? if so, where else would the water go and how would you get it out?

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #18167
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
...so on an equally pathetic note... I have this friend that has an XR400, and he was checking the oil and there was a little bit too much in there, so he happily thought that putting 4 inches of surgical tubing on a little suction thingy was the answer. my friend drew out the unwanted extra oil and the hot oil made the surgical tubing hot and loose and it fell into the frame where the oil is stored. He immediately grabbed a triple action pulley and hoisted it upside down in his shop, and for all the oil on the the floor there was no tubing to be found. he then pull the drain plug on the bottom of frame and probing w/ bailing wire nor compressed air yielded sight of said tubing.

he called me, since I'm such a thoughtful and awesome wrench, and I told him that I was stumped and would hit up my wise friends on the interwebs, since I figured that if he posted directly that the mighty adventure rider wrenches would piss themselves laughing at this sorry wank...

So, any advice for my buddie? Could he invert it and flush it w/ water? if so, where else would the water go and how would you get it out?

Forget it. Is it really going to hurt anything in there?

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #18168
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:

Sounds kinky, almost like something you'd expect Pluric to be doing in his basement.

On that note, surgical tubing will likely be dissolved by petroleum products (oil), and I'm guessing the hot oil dissolved it. When he flipped the bike and drained it, it's possible the dissolved tubing was in the oil and drained out with the oil.

Just guessing.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #18169
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
I don't think it would dissolve that fast. Do the tip and flush thing, but use used motor oil. I'm sure you have a 5 gal bucket around of used stuff around. It was in there once and didn't hurt anything. Set up a little circulation pump to get a steady stream going through.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #18170
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
I don't think it would dissolve that fast. Do the tip and flush thing, but use used motor oil. I'm sure you have a 5 gal bucket around of used stuff around. It was in there once and didn't hurt anything. Set up a little circulation pump to get a steady stream going through.
You're probably right, unless the oil was 250 degrees???? Was the oil operating temp, or on a cool bike?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #18171
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,879
Quote:

Maybe one of these???

http://www.diyhousehelp.com/2012/04/...r-pickup-tool/
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:09 AM   #18172
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
I hope it wasn't one of you that got smoked on the mirror lake hwy about 6 this evening... car traveling west had the drivers side front end crinkled up and i think an east bound rider looked bad. I went by right as the crowd was clearing for the medics. It was on a straight section of road... how does that happen? I suppose I'll find out in the news tomorrow.

w8 2 txt
I was heading up East Canyon Saturday on the way to Bear Lake. Right by Little Dell where the road
is straight and wide a bicycle rider on the right side of the road did a complete U turn on me without
looking. It's the first time on the street I can remember the Tenere ABS pulsing. I'm the brakes and horn
hard. Had I been in a car I don't think I could have missed him.

That would have been a scene where you would drive by and wonder how the hell two bikes are
down in the middle of the road, straight section, extra room on both sides......

At the summit where there is a gravel parking lot on the South side I had just come over the
top into the left hand turn and a double upped cruiser decided to cross the road into the parking
lot. I didn't even have time to brake. It was a swerve to miss. About then I was thinking not a great
day to be on the road.

The good news is, as Trackhead mentioned, I was able to get the surgical tubing out fine,
the gerbil sadly did not survive.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #18173
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

The good news is, as Trackhead mentioned, I was able to get the surgical tubing out fine,
the gerbil sadly did not survive.
We remove those sorts of things in the ER if you need some help.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #18174
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,653
Hot bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
You're probably right, unless the oil was 250 degrees???? Was the oil operating temp, or on a cool bike?
The bike was hot...

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #18175
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
Quote:
The bike was hot...
The bigger danger is that the tubing was just hot enough to make it sticky and it's adhered to the inside of the frame as it cooled. That would make the circulating idea a bit difficult to work unless you could heat the oil. It also makes it difficult to dislodge with a probe as it could break off where it's stuck.

Was it the clear or yellow tubing that your buddy was using? Seems the yellow stuff is thinner and floppier, might be more prone to a slight melt and adherence........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #18176
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

I like pluric's idea. You might be able to grab it.

Utards in Baja
Old 07-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #18177
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
I like pluric's idea. You might be able to grab it.
Yeah, me too. I've always thought he was wise beyond his years,,, and that's pretty wise.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #18178
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Yeah, me too. I've always thought he was wise beyond his years,,, and that's pretty wise.
Had to rescue a catheter or two have you?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #18179
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes his ass is very wise.

Utards in Baja
Old 07-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #18180
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Moo View Post
Had to rescue a catheter or two have you?
Maybe.

Quote:
Yes his ass is very wise.
Yes, a virtual cave of carnal knowledge.