ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #18196
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Utard legislature just wants to open it up to big industry. Unfortunately also the guys pumping thousands into their pockets. I actually agree that there needs to be more drilling, can't stand SUWA personally even though I believe that some lands do need to be protected even from oil and gas here and there. The issue with SUWA is their budget and organization and jobs are gone if they were to actually ever compromise and solve the problem by creating low impact drilling in approved areas, and allow for recreation in places. They use the extreme places of off road damage to justify closing hundreds or thousands or millions of acres of areas where there is no damage and never will be...

Anyway, Hick I hear you though on private land. that is the way the North East is too. If we were all in New England (like all of hte NE ADV riders) we would be going to the grocery store to look cool only. The only adventures are dirt roads and long slab rides, or going up to Canada where Utah-like wilderness and access still exists. It is super sad...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #18197
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,990
I'm sure one of the major theme parks will come to the rescue with a virtual reality ride
that lets you experience any ADV thing you want.

Kinda like the ending of Soylent Green or how Walrus has sex.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #18198
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Was I just baited? Dang I'm so easy. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #18199
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Hey Hick,

Utah is making it's best impression of Texas. Except here, we have rich Canadian real estate fucks lining the pockets of Utard feds to FORCE the forest service to sell public land to a private, Canadian entity so they can build a worthless gondola from The Canyons to Solitude.

This is all going down in the SHITHOLE otherwise known as Canyons Ski Resort.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #18200
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,684
maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post

This is all going down in the SHITHOLE otherwise known as Canyons Ski Resort.
ParkWest (1985!) aka the Canyons just needs a nuclear powered snow machine to cover the runs and they'll be fine... awesome resort (in 1985!) if there was enough snow, but luckily they'll be ok cuz there's so many people that can blow $70 dollars for a days riding in our current economy

by the way, the new built xr400 is on KSL/enduro now that i got the hose out and my grrrrrl's sweet enjoyment of the San Rafael Swell isn't translating into more desire to ride... brshooter's bike for the same price, but totally trick.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #18201
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Old Skull Meets New Skull

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #18202
Proud Highway
one hand waving free

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post

Utah is making it's best impression of Texas.
In more ways than one.
http://http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/07/11/texas-named-top-state-for-business

Proud Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #18203
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Highway View Post

Newsweek recently ran an article that showed a 4-way graph of tax burden by state. It included personal tax, corporate tax, income tax, and sales tax. In general, the redder the state, the more heavily was the personal income and sales tax, whereas the corporate and property tax was least. The bluer the state, the heavier the corporate and property tax burden.

Texas' tax structure was attractive (in my opinion) because the property tax burden was greater than the income tax burden, and they rely heavily on sales tax (in my opinion, the more you consume, the more you should pay). However, when time to collect on property tax, there are so many subsidies for corporations and mega-"ranches" that the individual property tax is where the majority of revenue is generated. Fortune 500 companies don't move to states where the tax burden for the company and the worker are equitable. The non-corporate property tax in Texas is a farce as all one needs to do to claim themselves as a "working ranch" is keep a few head of cattle on the land; and thereby avoid a large part of their property tax burden. Ranches that are thousands of acres may pay less than I on property tax if they raise a few cattle, and grow some cotton.

The reason I moved from Utah to Texas was that I had become disgusted with the Californication of the Wasatch Front. Higher cost of living coincident with a lower quality of life. In the race to attract corporate jobs, Utah has sold its soul. Drive through Colorado, and you will see Utah's future.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #18204
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
Newsweek recently ran an article that showed a 4-way graph of tax burden by state. It included personal tax, corporate tax, income tax, and sales tax. In general, the redder the state, the more heavily was the personal income and sales tax, whereas the corporate and property tax was least. The bluer the state, the heavier the corporate and property tax burden.

Texas' tax structure was attractive (in my opinion) because the property tax burden was greater than the income tax burden, and they rely heavily on sales tax (in my opinion, the more you consume, the more you should pay). However, when time to collect on property tax, there are so many subsidies for corporations and mega-"ranches" that the individual property tax is where the majority of revenue is generated. Fortune 500 companies don't move to states where the tax burden for the company and the worker are equitable. The non-corporate property tax in Texas is a farce as all one needs to do to claim themselves as a "working ranch" is keep a few head of cattle on the land; and thereby avoid a large part of their property tax burden. Ranches that are thousands of acres may pay less than I on property tax if they raise a few cattle, and grow some cotton.

The reason I moved from Utah to Texas was that I had become disgusted with the Californication of the Wasatch Front. Higher cost of living coincident with a lower quality of life. In the race to attract corporate jobs, Utah has sold its soul. Drive through Colorado, and you will see Utah's future.
I thought it was because you sold your soul for a better paying job. It's cool, I did too.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #18205
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:

True, but Utah still kicks ass. And no matter how fucked up it gets, it will still be a cooler place to live than any other place I can imagine (in regards to skiing, moto, 4x4, climbing, whatever). Housing, for the most part, is cheap. Where else can you live at the base of the mountains on my salary?

Plus, Pluric and GISkev live here, which in itself makes it entertaining.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #18206
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
I think you had one more reason to move.... you really wanted your inner self to be free.

You're with your own now Hick, is that Freebird playing the background???

Old 07-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #18207
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,684
Next Friday!

Next Friday (or maybe Sat) morning I take off for San Diego, either hwy 89 through zion or out the PET depending on forecasted temps... tag along for part or all.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #18208
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Countdown a week and a half for me. Doing a solo Idaho dirt mosey on the mighty 250. Eleven days. Visit a couple friends along the way in Smiths Ferry and near Orofino. I have a general plan but fires could alter them. Right now it looks like there are 4 or 5 fires along my way. I was thinking I'd start out on the PET and head north thru Bendover but if it's 100 degrees I might just go north right away. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #18209
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
Next Friday (or maybe Sat) morning I take off for San Diego, either hwy 89 through zion or out the PET depending on forecasted temps... tag along for part or all.
Damn I was gonna pitch some mtb for next weekend. It'll have to wait.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #18210
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
Boss is out of town next week. Chained to the desk.