ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #18391
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Praying that thing won't break down works better on both knees. Just sayn'
No problem with the bike breakin down. It's the well seasoned body that has reliability issues! Unfortunately, I never found praying helped either the bike or the body...

Current rides - '03 ST1300 74k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #18392
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,030
Trail etiquette question...

So I was up on RidgeLine Taile 157 in AF canyon this evening when I came up to a group of 4 mountain bikers. The last biker was a woman and she was straggling behind the group and seemed to be struggling a bit. I stayed way back and just followed her from a distance for several minutes... the spandex was lookin' good so why not chill, right?

Anyways the trail begins to climb slightly and she shows no sign of stopping at all, ever, so when a wide spot comes up I pull up close behind her to try and get by. She promptly darts across the trail to block my path and then uses her left hand to give the "shoo fly" go away signal. Where the heck was I supposed to go???

I took it kind of hard. After all these minutes of patient first gear waiting she wrote me off like some pesky horsefly!! In my flash of anger I did what any motocyclista would do and shot passed her with a quick flick of the wrist. Man was she pissed. I could hear her call me something bad as I went by.

About 60 yards further her three comrades had heard me and stepped off to the side and let me pass without any problems. They even gave a quick smile, nod as I went putting by slowly.

Ok for you guys that ride bikes. Did I do something wrong here? Or did I just run across a mean one that doesn't like letting others "play through"? Who has the right of way??

Is there a better way to handle these types of situations?

I also noticed that the trailhead marker at Summit had been defiled. Only the block with a motorcycle on it had been scraped off to make it look like the trail was not legal single track.

Roostre screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 10:07 PM Reason: sp
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #18393
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
So I was up on RidgeLine Taile 157 in AF canyon this evening when I came up to a group of 4 mountain bikers. The last biker was a woman and she was straggling behind the group and seemed to be struggling a bit. I stayed way back and just followed her from a distance for several minutes... the spandex was lookin' good so why not chill, right?

Anyways the trail begins to climb slightly and she shows no sign of stopping at all, ever, so when a wide spot comes up I pull up close behind her to try and get by. She promptly darts across the trail to block my path and then uses her left hand to give the "shoo fly" go away signal. Where the heck was I supposed to go???

I took it kind of hard. After all these minutes of patient first gear waiting she wrote me off like some pesky horsefly!! In my flash of anger I did what any motocyclista would do and shot passed her with a quick flick of the wrist. Man was she pissed. I could hear her call me something bad as I went by.

About 60 yards further her three comrades had heard me and stepped off to the side and let me pass without any problems. They even gave a quick smile, nod as I went putting by slowly.

Ok for you guys that ride bikes. Did I do something wrong here? Or did I just run across a mean one that doesn't like letting others "play through"? Who has the right of way??

I also noticed that the trailhead marker at Summit had been defiled. Only the block with a motorcycle on it had been scraped off to make it look like the trail was not legal single track.

I love mountain biking. I hate mountain bikers - okay, that is not true, but I have been riding with plenty of hard core mountain bike dudes and dudettes that fail to remember the mountain...and the trails...were there long before their bikes were invented.

I have encountered these attitudes in every sport - the hikers who hate the horseback riders, the horseback riders that hate the mtn bikers, the mtn bikers that hate the motorcyclists, the motorcyclists that hate ATVs, the snowboarders that hate the skiers - every group failing to see how the other sports keeps their sport alive, i.e., there would be no snowboarding without skiing, and snowboarding has been the only thing keeping many ski areas open lately; the ATVers are wrecking single track, but they are also the most vociferous and largest political group fighting to keep trails alive, etc.

I think your actions were polite and courteous. If she doesn't like riding where she may encounter a moto every once in a while, there are plenty of trails (often made by motos) that are prohibited to motor that she can ride.

Unfortunately, no matter what actions you had taken, she likely had contempt prior to investigation so no matter what you did, you are bad because you are not like her. Or, the psychologist would say she felt shame because she could not keep up with her friends, and she tried to place that shame on you - you can choose to accept it or not.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #18394
Roostre
Discombobulated

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
she tried to place that shame on you - you can choose to accept it or not.
Not.

Good break down! I really try not to alienate anybody that wants to get out and enjoy the back country. At some point we all need each other.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #18395
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,600
group hug!

Quote:
At some point we all need each other.
I just feel warm and fuzzy right now.
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #18396
Roostre
Discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
Group hug!
Bring your wife...
Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #18397
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,757
This will sound sexist, so be it, but women seem to have less ability to "share" in those situations.

Disclaimer:100% mtn bike for me this year. No moto.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #18398
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
This will sound sexist, so be it, but women seem to have less ability to "share" in those situations.

Disclaimer:100% mtn bike for me this year. No moto.
Def sexist...........TTwister, GKev and I stopped to watch a couple rock crawlers on the other side of Monitor. There was a horse riding event and 3 participants arrived after us and much later than the 2 rock crawlers who had the right of way coming up the draw. The younger couple (male and female) had the patience to wait for the vehicles to make their crawl but the older rider showed total intolerance of the machines and their groups. He walked his horse directly through their path.

Haters are just haters and they are gonna hate........
Plenty of proof everywhere...........

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #18399
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,544
Quote:
Bring your wife...
And maybe one of your goats for you know who. You know, the Hater guy.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #18400
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:

Years ago, I was mountain biking - crankin hard up Mill D as I remember. I suddenly came upon Ma & Pa Kettle with Doofus son beside them. They looking were really sheepish when I noticed they were carefully placing logs onto the trail. Every mountain biker loves surprises! Always teach your kids the fun things in life!

Current rides - '03 ST1300 74k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #18401
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,600
weeeee neeeeee

I'm a mtbiker, and I was on hell's revenge and had a mtb guy clad only in spandex try to start a fight w me (i'm in full armor) to impress his girlfriend (kept flashing her eyes, like, wow, if homeboy keeps up w/ his sh!t it's feasible that guy in armor might tap homeboys naked shin w steel tip boot, so homegrl like potential armored hero over essentially naked aggressor, after all, we're 40 miles from nowhere... eyes like hi baby, got a phone? if he attacks you and he gets kicked in the shin?! how far is life flight? do shins bleed lots?) anyhow, she said a lot w/ her eyes, and i didn't really stick around to argue w boyman.

same w dogs though. I had a guy approach my group running w/ a knife in hand in Millcreek cyn on a dog day, and he said he was afraid of dogs. I said something like that its legal to shoot a person if they run at you with a knife, so school up, and don't run w knives. I didn't even draw. how civil.
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #18402
Roostre
Discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post

same w dogs though. I had a guy approach my group running w/ a knife in hand in Millcreek cyn on a dog day, and he said he was afraid of dogs. I said something like that its legal to shoot a person if they run at you with a knife, so school up, and don't run w knives. I didn't even draw. how civil.
Now how did we go from group hug to this??

Dogs in Millcreek that I've run across just wanna sniff you and move on, kinda like the girl makin' eyes at you to piss off the boyman!

Roostre screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 08:49 PM Reason: keyboard issue
Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #18403
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,054
One canyon on the whole Wasatch Front, and only on odd days, that I can run my pups off leash...

Nearly every canyon can be ridden every day by the mtnbikers... And some douche has to make an issue of the dogs every time...

Same story can be made of the few trails we can ride Motos on... And those who can ride everywhere want to complain.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #18404
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,544
Hate to turn this into a love fest. I just have to give thanks to Harcus and his house of help.

Fixed a bent ski pylon on my new toy. Since he wiped out my dad's machine shop on the
estate sale I've lost my source for metal needs. There he was to the rescue.

KMC1 Kevin was just showing up to get a facial on his KTM. He had his new toy too.
Nice red Toyota FZ.

Thanks Harcus!
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #18405
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Hate to turn this into a love fest. I just have to give thanks to Harcus and his house of help.

Fixed a bent ski pylon on my new toy. Since he wiped out my dad's machine shop on the
estate sale I've lost my source for metal needs. There he was to the rescue.

KMC1 Kevin was just showing up to get a facial on his KTM. He had his new toy too.
Nice red Toyota FZ.

Thanks Harcus!
Yeah, I thought Harcus lived in a nice neighborhood until I pulled up to see you sitting there!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote