ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #18406
Roostre
Discombobulated
 
Roostre's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SL, UT
Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatRider13 View Post
I had a question for you guys, how spectator friendly are the vintage races this weekend at miller? Can I get into the pits and check out the bikes? I was kinda hoping for a kind of vintage bike show so I could drool over some old iron. Are any of you heading out there? Is the swap meet friday and saturday? Which is the best day to go?
Very easy going last time I went. You can wander through all the pits and chat with crews and take pictures of bikes that you would never see anywhere else. I would like to go, but we'll see how things shake out. Seems like Saturday would be busier. We went on Saturday last time and it was a good show.

Don't know anything about a swap meet, but I bought quite a few t-shirts that the racers were selling to finance their trips.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #18407
HickOnACrick
Groovinator
 
HickOnACrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Utarded in Lubbuttock
Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
hi guys,
looking for a 950A or preferably and older 950 adventure S with the taller suspension if anyone has leads. Older (but with upgrades) or beat up plastics is prefered over something super clean or lower mileage mostly to get the best deal.

If anyone has any leads let me know.. I'm tall and the bike will be used off road so the taller/longer suspension models, or something that someone has had extended would help...

thanks

Keep in mind that I am coming up from Texas, so if you find one and need it transported, let me know.
__________________
KTM 500 XCW, BMW K1600GTL
950 SER 300 XC
Composites 101
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #18408
Trail Dumpster
4.5 Years to Freedom
 
Trail Dumpster's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Roy, Ut
Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
Very easy going last time I went. You can wander through all the pits and chat with crews and take pictures of bikes that you would never see anywhere else. I would like to go, but we'll see how things shake out. Seems like Saturday would be busier. We went on Saturday last time and it was a good show.

Don't know anything about a swap meet, but I bought quite a few t-shirts that the racers were selling to finance their trips.
I went in 2011 for vintage days and it was an all access event. The event was fairly underpopulated in general. It was fun watching the hacks race.
__________________
C-Advisor http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741902
2010 Victory Vegas (Stock Rocks)
1992 Yamaha WR-500ZD (Plated) Needs rebuild Threw chain cracked case
1975 Honda XL175
1991 Klr 650.. 1994 FE501 Berg'
Trail Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #18409
harcus
Beastly Adventurer
 
harcus's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the Wasatch
Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
Keep in mind that I am coming up from Texas, so if you find one and need it transported, let me know.
Just bring him you SE
It's going to sit alot
__________________
Want Creative Adventure Products? - See Globetrottin.com

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #18410
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Heber City, UT
Oddometer: 2,788
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...id=&search=ktm

and a 990
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...id=&search=ktm
__________________
Thank you MX1WEST, Highway Dirt Bikes Lindsay Machine, Smart Performance, SPS for the Support
257x Solo Baja 1000
If I had not some strength of will I would make a first class drunkard--Shackleton
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #18411
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Oddometer: 1,452
Too funny, I actually sent hick a PM asking exactly that before I read this, LOL...

A SE is perfect. I just want a small windshield.. Which travis' has..
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #18412
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Heber City, UT
Oddometer: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Too funny, I actually sent hick a PM asking exactly that before I read this, LOL...

A SE is perfect. I just want a small windshield.. Which travis' has..
I know of an se. He wants $7300. Has a few goodies on it.
__________________
Thank you MX1WEST, Highway Dirt Bikes Lindsay Machine, Smart Performance, SPS for the Support
257x Solo Baja 1000
If I had not some strength of will I would make a first class drunkard--Shackleton
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #18413
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Oddometer: 1,452
OK I'm going to have to start looking at SEs. Are they are SE-Rs or do they have the high/low like the Advs?

The issues is I don't really want to or have the time to do much fabbing. Also that I work with steel (which is heavy). But I can and have fabbed up moto stuff. The bike I want I guess is something maybe like a hybrid between a ADV and a SE. Has anyone ever taken a SE or the equiv super moto to the track? Just curious about how they handle compared to the advs that supposedly handle OK...

dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #18414
DeptuyBuzz
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Oddometer: 8
FS 1200 GS Vario Pannier

Just thought I would post in here in case anyone local is interested. Just got a 2007 1200 GS but I need some Panniers that will hold up in off road spills.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821502
DeptuyBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #18415
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 17,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeptuyBuzz View Post
Just thought I would post in here in case anyone local is interested. Just got a 2007 1200 GS but I need some Panniers that will hold up in off road spills.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821502
Good luck with that hunt. Here's KMC1's alloy side bag after a mild spill.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #18416
Sh4ft
Beater
 
Sh4ft's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: SL,UT
Oddometer: 68
One down, one to go.

Stupid piece of shit doohickey:


Thanks again for the tool loan pluric, hope that nasty infection clears up soon...
Sh4ft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #18417
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 17,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4ft View Post

Thanks again for the tool loan pluric, hope that nasty infection clears up soon...
Thanks. It only really hurts when I up shift.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #18418
HickOnACrick
Groovinator
 
HickOnACrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Utarded in Lubbuttock
Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
OK I'm going to have to start looking at SEs. Are they are SE-Rs or do they have the high/low like the Advs?

The issues is I don't really want to or have the time to do much fabbing. Also that I work with steel (which is heavy). But I can and have fabbed up moto stuff. The bike I want I guess is something maybe like a hybrid between a ADV and a SE. Has anyone ever taken a SE or the equiv super moto to the track? Just curious about how they handle compared to the advs that supposedly handle OK...

I have never ridden an Adventure on the road, but the SE does NOT inspire confidence on the road. Even with road tires, I feel less confident carving canyons on my SE than I did on my XR with dirt tires. That being said, I didn't get the SE for riding roads.

I have never ridden an SE in SM trim.

All the aftermarket options for wind screens don't offer much in the way of wind protection. I have thrown road tires on the SE and ridden to Dallas and back (6 hours each way), and it wasn't too bad, but it really is made for off-road. It is easier to turn wrenches on the SE than the Adventure.
__________________
KTM 500 XCW, BMW K1600GTL
950 SER 300 XC
Composites 101
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #18419
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul
 
STARSKEY's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Clinton, UT
Oddometer: 339
Sunday Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKEY View Post
Just hung some Wolfman luggage on the XL500S and I'm going to go give it the "shake down" test run on Sunday. Plan on slabbing up Monte Cristo way, then cutting across the backroads to Bear Lake via the northern-most section of the UTBDR route then back via that route/Hardware Ranch/something else depending on time/fuel/attitude.

I'd enjoy company if anyone wants to come along.
Warp9man and I will be departing Clinton on Sunday at 9AM...planning on making Garden City between 12 and 1 if all goes well to catch some lunch before coming back. If you'd care to join us, let me know.
__________________
But, but, but........but helmet hair IS a fashionable hairstyle!
STARSKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #18420
z987k
Beastly Adventurer
 
z987k's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Anchorage, AK
Oddometer: 1,005
Anyone planning a small trip for the long weekend? Looking to get the husky out. I've been killed at work since June, but I've got 3 real days off! I'm contemplating driving to Moab or somewhere around the swell.
z987k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015