ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #18436
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,389
Lmao! And EWWWWWWW!!! I'm never gonna let another elephant rub it's trunk over my face and body......again,,,,,

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #18437
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
Pretty bummed, first went on a crazy adventure a couple weeks ago trying to find the end of a trail that connect Brighton Estates (up in Guardsman's) to the midway/AF canyon trails. At the end the trail disappeared and we basically had to hike a bike for a mile or two and it was steep as hell and the bikes went over probably a dozen times or so in the process.

Then after a dump there must have been some oil that got into the cyclinder somehow and it appears I lost my rings I guess. Bike starts and runs, but... 50 PSI on the cycl. Oil was coming out of the exhaust. Bummer because there aren't a whole lot of miles on this motor, maybe 2000 or so since the last rebuild? Oddly still starts and runs but definitley burning a ton of oil too..

Anyway, questions are:

- Does anyone have the top end KTM RFS tools I could borrow.

- Carb also seems to have stripped out its fuel screw because a POS aluminum Tusk knob. Do not buy a Tusk aluminum air/fuel knob for your KTM, always buy brass.

- This is an 02 which is good but has less top end than the later ones. Anyone have a '03 to '07 525 engine lying around, even if it needs a rebuild?

- Not sure if I should upgrate to a 41mm carb in the process, I have a '39 on this 02 but the later ones had the 41.

- Not sure if folks have recommendations on parts and/or where to machine locally. I'll def be finding some stainless valves at bare min and imagine the head and cyl will need some work.

- Considering pulling the bike completely apart and possibly repowdercoating the frame. Not sure if that is overkill...

All ears on recommendations...

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #18438
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Isn't oil in the exhaust usually a bad valve guide seal?? Why not just pull the head and check it out?? It doesn't require any special tools. You could take the head to lindsay and check out the rings yourself. You could probably be back and running for under $100.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #18439
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
Bitches,

I have confirmed that I have days off in September; the 7th through the 19th, to be specific. I am considering a ride to Bend, OR as there is a little KTM gathering going on at that time, but could easily be persuaded to hang out with scum like you instead. I am very open to any ideas for rides at that time and can bring the 300, the SFE (Super Fucking Enduro), the soon to be picked up 500 XCW, or all three.

Awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,

The handsomest Utard in Lubbuttock, TX

Ate-oh-one. ate-7ven-niner. one-0ne-5ve-7ven
I think it all depends on how much fun you can handle. Since defection to the south I am certain you are out of practice, physically n mentally. I would recommend you leave all 3 MCs at home & bring your Schwin so you can retone your decrepit body.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #18440
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Isn't oil in the exhaust usually a bad valve guide seal?? Why not just pull the head and check it out?? It doesn't require any special tools. You could take the head to lindsay and check out the rings yourself. You could probably be back and running for under $100.
Or a broken ring. If oil got into the cylinder while in an upside down position it could have over pressurized & cracked a ring. Anyway, it needs to have the top popped off & inspected before more damage occurs.

IMHO, that is...

Shit happens...

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #18441
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
I think it all depends on how much fun you can handle. Since defection to the south I am certain you are out of practice, physically n mentally. I would recommend you leave all 3 MCs at home & bring your Schwin so you can retone your decrepit body.
I'm with the h man. Bring your MTB and we'll cruise the mid mountain. I've been bugging elephant boy all summer to go do this.

Utards in Baja
Old 08-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #18442
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Or a broken ring. If oil got into the cylinder while in an upside down position it could have over pressurized & cracked a ring. Anyway, it needs to have the top popped off & inspected before more damage occurs.

IMHO, that is...

Shit happens...
That repair seems even simpler.

Utards in Baja
Old 08-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #18443
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Pretty sure it is a broken ring.

Did a compression test, 50psi at best...

And then I started thinking to the moment "it" happened. Bike was upright just idling away up against a log and then it made a noise and smoke started coming out of the exhaust pretty much never to go away.

Such is life...

I'm pretty mechanically handy (I'd done a ton of heads on cars and all sorts of various jobs on cars) but I'll say that these Austrian engines are quirky and I'm just barely starting to learn how 1 cyls work. I watched the "how to rebuild your top end" vids from Rocky Mountain ATV which are super helpful so it doesn't look too hard.

Can anyone recommend which kits to use and other items \I should order? Otherwise I'll start pouring through some of the KTM threads for advice...

As always if I'm repairing some of these items I'm thinking maybe I'll update if there are any opportunities. My biggest complaint with this 02 is that it has jobs of high end power but seems to be lacking on the torque from idle unlike an '05. It stalls easily so I was hoping to be able to increase that for the tough rocky technical areas.. Not sure if there is a way I could do that via a cam or some sort of different piston kit? I am already more than happy with its power otherwise and don't need/want any more.

Otherwise, This '02 is kind of old but is completely dialed and really well set up with custom valving and the suspension dialed and almost every possible gizmo and doodad available. I ride with guys on '09s and the newish bikes and this one completely hangs and actually feels really good to get back on, so I think it's worth investing into. So I'm all ears on any additional mods...

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 09:35 AM
Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #18444
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Is there someone who really knows their RFS engines that wouldn't mind 20 minutes of conversation and would be willing to PM me their phone number? I can read and read but I would love some guidance if possible...

Old 08-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #18445
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Is there someone who really knows their RFS engines that wouldn't mind 20 minutes of conversation and would be willing to PM me their phone number? I can read and read but I would love some guidance if possible...
Send a pm to frog, fano, trackhead........they have all done work on this motor.
Talk to the guys at lindsy. Something tells me they have done many RFS rebuilds.

Utards in Baja
Old 08-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #18446
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Pretty bummed, first went on a crazy adventure a couple weeks ago trying to find the end of a trail that connect Brighton Estates (up in Guardsman's) to the midway/AF canyon trails. At the end the trail disappeared and we basically had to hike a bike for a mile or two and it was steep as hell and the bikes went over probably a dozen times or so in the process.

Then after a dump there must have been some oil that got into the cyclinder somehow and it appears I lost my rings I guess. Bike starts and runs, but... 50 PSI on the cycl. Oil was coming out of the exhaust. Bummer because there aren't a whole lot of miles on this motor, maybe 2000 or so since the last rebuild? Oddly still starts and runs but definitley burning a ton of oil too..

Anyway, questions are:

- Does anyone have the top end KTM RFS tools I could borrow.

- Carb also seems to have stripped out its fuel screw because a POS aluminum Tusk knob. Do not buy a Tusk aluminum air/fuel knob for your KTM, always buy brass.

- This is an 02 which is good but has less top end than the later ones. Anyone have a '03 to '07 525 engine lying around, even if it needs a rebuild?

- Not sure if I should upgrate to a 41mm carb in the process, I have a '39 on this 02 but the later ones had the 41.

- Not sure if folks have recommendations on parts and/or where to machine locally. I'll def be finding some stainless valves at bare min and imagine the head and cyl will need some work.

- Considering pulling the bike completely apart and possibly repowdercoating the frame. Not sure if that is overkill...

All ears on recommendations...
If you need a carb mknight has a bunch and is selling them to help Josh get to germany for the isde. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post19346667 Just bought one and its in great shape

Pm'ed my number I have two rfs engines pulled apart now.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #18447
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,207
Nobody likes a broken bike. I'm going sit back and bite my tounge on this one.

Let us know what it ends up being. Is odd how it happened. Still could be a valve issue
the way it made a noise and lost compression. The oil burning sounds like rings.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #18448
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Just talked to frog for a while and it definitely helped a lot. Theres a chance it's fine, didn't know I needed the thottle open for the compression test. It doesn't feel like it has 50 psi of compression on how it starts/rides. Feels fairly normal other than blowing oil though... Four likely options:

- oil in the airbox and/or exhaust that keeps recycling so this is where the burned oil came from. Lost about a 1/2 quart that day.

- oil scraper ring broke so it will have decent compression but burn oil.

- original guess that rings are bad

- or a 4th option of something messed up in the head or a decomp issue or something like that.

Time to dig in, I'll report back... If its not #1 above then I'll pull the head..

Im also trying to figure out the carb air fuel screw mixture strip (need a new carb) and lack of low end that I haven't figured out yet either thats plauged this bike since i got it. It's not jetting or a dirty carb. My thinking is its this odd custom header the bike has and the super free flowing loud as hell muffler, that I want to get rid of...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #18449
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I'm going sit back and bite my tounge on this one.
Hell has truly frozen over.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #18450
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
Hell has truly frozen over.
Don't you have a fuel pump or regulator to replace... or something???

Always nice to hear from our NE lurker.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote