ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #18466
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
What was he riding? Aside from orange...
Honda 450x. :what:
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #18467
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,934
The KLX actually FINISHED a ride this weekend.

It looks like they finally fixed the oil leak in the boat.

I had a famliy thing this weekend and bought a spare boat just case,
anyone need a boat???

I can can go back to washing stuff more than I use it.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #18468
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
The KLX actually FINISHED a ride this weekend.

It looks like they finally fixed the oil leak in the boat.

I had a famliy thing this weekend and bought a spare boat just case,
anyone need a boat???

I can can go back to washing stuff more than I use it.
Which one are you selling..........?

The power boat or the sail boat.......

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #18469
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #18470
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,145
Any carb masters here? I am in a bad spot. I got the jet I was recommended, but everything has gone pear shaped from there. I am about to try and put it back the way it was, but the real problem is that I am supposed to leave with two other ADV blokes on Wednesday morning, and this is the only bike I have. It doesn't run. Not running. Kaput.
No shop will even look at it this week, or next. Plus, I can't afford them right now. Wife's bathroom project has kicked my financial arse, and it's thin just going on the trip. Hate racking up debt, so trying to do this as a cash transaction or barter for something, like electrical work.

If I can't go on this trip, I am damn sure not working on that damn reckafricken bathroom.

And, yes, I recognize the irony between my plea and my signature line. Heh!
After putting the old Dynojet main jet back in, and fiddling with screws, it is running again. I am going to take it for a ride and get stuck, but I plan to ride uphill only, so I can theoretically coast back to the house.

dentedvw screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 04:01 PM
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #18471
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,674
swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
Any carb masters here? I am in a bad spot. I got the jet I was recommended, but everything has gone pear shaped from there. I am about to try and put it back the way it was, but the real problem is that I am supposed to leave with two other ADV blokes on Wednesday morning, and this is the only bike I have. It doesn't run. Not running. Kaput.
No shop will even look at it this week, or next. Plus, I can't afford them right now. Wife's bathroom project has kicked my financial arse, and it's thin just going on the trip. Hate racking up debt, so trying to do this as a cash transaction or barter for something, like electrical work.

If I can't go on this trip, I am damn sure not working on that damn reckafricken bathroom.

And, yes, I recognize the irony between my plea and my signature line. Heh!
After putting the old Dynojet main jet back in, and fiddling with screws, it is running again. I am going to take it for a ride and get stuck, but I plan to ride uphill only, so I can theoretically coast back to the house.

My sweet! WELL PROVEN XR650R w/ all the adv fixin's is yours for you trip if you'll help advise rewiring my knob and tube 100 yr old house!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #18472
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
My sweet! WELL PROVEN XR650R w/ all the adv fixin's is yours for you trip if you'll help advise rewiring my knob and tube 100 yr old house!
Not many men ask for advice on rewiring their knob...

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #18473
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
Knobs, them's good eatin'!

I will give you a shout if it becomes necessary, I am headed up to some higher altitude to freeze my buns off. Chilly up there this morning. Excited for winter!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #18474
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
I too have a bike you may borrow. DR400 that last time I had it off the trailer ran great.
Been a bad year for bike use. I just seem to be on the water more than dirt.

You don't even have to give me a knob job either.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #18475
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
Good news on my bike. I was planning to post when I got it back up and 100% but what the hell. Turned out the majority of that 1/2 quart of oil ended up in the airbox boot from one of many many falls like this.

There was literally at least an inch of oil left in there even after the 20 mile ride home. And it was weird that it happened with a "noise" as I mentioned before. Cleaned the oil out. Tested compression cold and warm and with a valve adjust (of course) I was able to get it to 150 or so which is pretty good for 6500 feet (house elevation) and oil looks like it is not burning or leaking.

Scored a carb off mknight (thanks again Mike) and it looks like its a 41mm off a '10 SX model or so. It has the hot start valve so that makes me think its the 41 and pretty excited about that. I have it starting. Waiting on the late model boot and cables to mod this later carb to the '02. Initially it already seems way faster of a snap off rev than the old '02 carb. I just hope it runs well once its on and running and no issues, otherwise it will go off for a rebuilt likely from http://www.djhcyclesport.com/

I met Mike, and talked to Frog a bunch and its pretty awesome, ADV guys and guys on this board are so awesome and so down to earth...

For the '02 39mm carb, I also found a tap and thread set at home depot that is metric that looks like it would work to fix the boogered threads from the Tusk Aluminum threads. Wish I had known about these. Pretty pumped about this as it would salvage it for another cheap friend for his '02.

Also I found an older OEM header and exhaust that I think I'm going to put on instead of the loud-ass free flowing top end exhaust the bike has now and I think that will help with some of the low end torque. Also found out these need to idle a little higher than I thought (closer to 1500-1750 I guess) I've had it below 1000 so that might have been the issue. It definitely has plenty of torque at that idle speed and does not stall. But seems like most of the other KTMs I've ridden with also have their idle speeds pretty low.

Also possibly considering a Rekluse but doesn't look like they make them anymore for '02s but I'll call. Not sure if anyone has any leads on one locally hopefully even lightly used...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #18476
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Putting together a trip of some sort in late Sept / Oct / or early november. Multiday. Thinking also possibly of going up into Idaho but will likely be another Utah or a Utah/Nevada possibly into AZ...

Not sure if anyone is interested,..
Old 08-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #18477
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I too have a bike you may borrow. DR400 that last time I had it off the trailer ran great.
Been a bad year for bike use. I just seem to be on the water more than dirt.

You don't even have to give me a knob job either.

Awwww... you guys are the best.

But, i rode it up on some trails above the B this morning, did some silty rocky hill climbs above 8500' and it was at least as good as it was before, so it will do for this trip.

Also, I scored a HUGE awesome job today, and I will start next week, when I get back from Idaho it looks like. So, I am no longer funemployed. Now I can afford to ride in what little time off I will have. This will really cut down on my morning Mueller park rides, but I can either get up earlier, or not miss the dirty looks from hiking moms anyway.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #18478
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

hi guys,
a friend is looking for a MSF course. Any recommendations on where/what might be best?

thx
Old 08-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #18479
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Putting together a trip of some sort in late Sept / Oct / or early november. Multiday. Thinking also possibly of going up into Idaho but will likely be another Utah or a Utah/Nevada possibly into AZ...

Not sure if anyone is interested,..
Dre!
Brian from WC here
What kind of travel will this mostly be?
I would like to be kept in the loop, I can't promice anything with Market on Sat's through mid-late Oct. But one never knows.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #18480
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
hi guys,
a friend is looking for a MSF course. Any recommendations on where/what might be best?

thx
Here's a listing of their local training locations and contact info:
http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=UT
My wife and I took the one at Newgate Mall in Ogden a few years ago, and were happy with the level of instruction and professionalism from the course.

They really didn't like how I never touched the front break and always skidded the back tire, but that's their fault for sticking a dirtbike rider on a DR200. I was the only student with any riding experience in class, and the only one that couldn't perform their emergency stop procedures perfectly. Oh well, at least I passed.