ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #18901
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Geez, I get banned for a few weeks and this thread reverts back to riding topics????
WTF? I can see you people are in serious need of the head thread derailer.

Well XOXOXO papa is back.

Why did you get banned? Did you post your chaps pic in toxic Britney?
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #18902
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Why did you get banned? Did you post your chaps pic in toxic Britney?
No, that got me PM'd.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #18903
Digger52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Utards,

New to ADV, just picked up a 2007 F 650 GS. Been riding street for many years, currently riding Yamaha 1300 Venture touring bike. Haven't been off road since my Bultaco Alpina days and that's been awhile. Looking for rides you might recommend for a noob to get back into off road riding. I live SLC area
Digger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #18904
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,912
Man digger, you sure know how to kill a thread.

I'm glad you didn't invite us to a party. That would have been really awkward.

Welcome to the site.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #18905
a1one
a1one-numero uno-saucy

Oddometer: 300
Eh? Bountiful double and single track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger52 View Post
Utards,

New to ADV, just picked up a 2007 F 650 GS. Been riding street for many years, currently riding Yamaha 1300 Venture touring bike. Haven't been off road since my Bultaco Alpina days and that's been awhile. Looking for rides you might recommend for a noob to get back into off road riding. I live SLC area
Bountiful is always my recommendation. I just got back from there tonight. Mud in the parking lot with mud, snow and bunches of oak leaves on the single track. There is about four inches of fresh powder on the Tuttle Loop (cave) trail. Riding down in the dark there was about four feet of visibility in the fog.

a1one - 1 definition - numero uno. ... A1 Grand Prix · A1 Sauce · A1 Thick-N-Hearty NATIONWIDE·
a1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #18906
Digger52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1one View Post

Bountiful is always my recommendation. I just got back from there tonight. Mud in the parking lot with mud, snow and bunches of oak leaves on the single track. There is about four inches of fresh powder on the Tuttle Loop (cave) trail. Riding down in the dark there was about four feet of visibility in the fog.
Thanks, maybe things will dry out by the weekend
Digger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #18907
2wheeladv
Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer: 209
Rallye 2 Pro Suit for sale

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...707179&cat=247 SOLD!
2006 Big Dog K-9
1969 Triumph 650cc

2wheeladv screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 02:38 PM
2wheeladv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #18908
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeladv View Post
Pfffft....size 44 waist? Which leg should I wear it on?

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #18909
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Any of you google earth experts know how to take two kml files and load them both to compare the differences?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #18910
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,671
sorta?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Any of you google earth experts know how to take two kml files and load them both to compare the differences?
I could certainly compare speeds between 2 gpx files (if you've tainted the original data w/ google earthing them, then that costs more in moto barter)... but certainly, given two gpx files, i could color code a track hot to cold showing how awesome my XR with full camping gear rallies the whoops over your orange slut that doesn't even have a subframe, if that's what your asking.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #18911
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
I could certainly compare speeds between 2 gpx files (if you've tainted the original data w/ google earthing them, then that costs more in moto barter)... but certainly, given two gpx files, i could color code a track hot to cold showing how awesome my XR with full camping gear rallies the whoops over your orange slut that doesn't even have a subframe, if that's what your asking.
I don't care about speed just how different two paths are. I'm trying to compare the 2010 Baja 1000 to this years to see what sections I've ridden and what section will be a surprise. I don't have time or energy to prerun the 1100 miles so comparing them is as good as I'll get.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #18912
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Google Earth, import them both (it will probably make you do it once for each file) and them make sure both are checked, so you can see them... Then compare and contrast... :)
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #18913
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,680
Some info from other boards seems to indicate that Baja is pretty "fluid" after Hurricane Paul......

Quote:

""What is the most current course status: A rancher made a road block, on the' authorized' race course, near Race Mile 1093. We went around to the paved highway just past the little tienda and went back in near race mile 1098. The Baja 1000 race course is all is good from race mile 1098 to the finish line, today.

Yesterday, 4 trucks and 8 people worked all day to mark just 80 miles. We buried a Raptor and a F150 4x4 Prerunner to the floorboards. Lots of digging, lots of cut branches, 60 feet of tow strap, 3 hours and my Cherokee finally got the F150 out - I couldn't budge the Raptor. With the F150 strapped to the Raptor and my Jeep strapped to the F150 we finally got the Raptor out.

""When prerunning use SPEED Mex's Exclusive eCourse Products if you can, they include all the latest information, even the stuff the state doesn't know. One man's danger is another mans blip of the throttle. There are way too many DANGERS"".

The F150 4x4 got buried trying to drive around a long section of flooded main line - looked like the smart thing to do until it sunk to the frame. We decided to drive right up the main line in the middle of the road (mind you no one had driven through here since the storm) even though the water was 18 inches deep for several hundred yards; and had the Raptor hang back in case I got stuck. Turned out I relearned and old Baja lesson - the main lines are many years old and hard packed, even under the water - never even spun a wheel, got to the other side and watched the Raptor cross with no effort. Stay on the road where you can!

Baja Racing News LIVE! asked, So how did the Raptor get stuck? ANSWER: ""Trying to pull out the F150 it slid sideways and the right wheels got off the main line a few inches and it sunk that side to the running boards, left side was high and dry on the packed but muddy road.""

There is water that is not passable near ~RM 910 - the course marking crew came back out to paved route one and went around and then backwards up the course to mark the other side. Everything else from ~RM 900 to ~RM 991 is passable but there are some very wet areas and deep water.

The crew continued their reporting, ""We tested the middle of the road, unless it breaks down with more traffic, it was passable. We did go around several spots where there were dry bypass routes. We were able to mark from race mile 990 to 1045 . we ran out of ribbon at that point."" [Typicalfor the infamous Baja route marking crew led by one of the biggest dolts on the planet]

Since we were by ourselves we only went for one bonzai run after some shoveling to make a ramp. We left a note at the start , no 2wd unless it is going 100 mph near race mile1055. The next day, we went from race mile 1085 to the finish with no problems, it is much better over here.

The main problems with the damaged course is that the top 3 or 4 inches on the top might dry out but underneath the crust it's still very wet. It's very difficult for the water to evaporate through the crust for weeks! There are tracks all over the official race course and chase access roads, that just end when folks get buried.

The race course though San Javier wash still has water running as of mid-week. Where the wash meets paved route one, race mile 840 there is no race route. Lots of water, rocks and up rooted trees, lots of storn damage. Further up paved route one, the first of the washouts at race mile 842 as you start the climb the damaged paved route up to the hamlet and mission town of San Javier.""

The hotel we stayed at in Mulege in 2010 got somewhere between 4-8 ft of water, the rio came totally out of the banks. And I've read up to 300 homes flooded.

Around Loreto looked like this:

The Baja Mil should be an outrageous adventure this year.......but of course, YMMV......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #18914
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got it thanks. Turns out one of the files I was trying to use was corrupt and causing all sorts of problems.

I'm hoping it will be an adventure I can finish.

Looks like I've ridden a lot of this years but with the hurricane I'm sure I won't even recognize it. Oh well some of it I never wanted to race again maybe it's changed for the better.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #18915
fano
here and there

Oddometer: 632
Doing the 5 mile to Cherry Creek run tomorrow. 9:00 am at SW parking lot.

05 KTM 450 MXC , 01 Triumph Tiger 955i
04 KTM 950 ADV , 00 Husaberg 501FE
04 GasGas TXT300 PRO , 70 Jawa 250
fano is online now   Reply With Quote