ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #20041
Kanook
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
Dangit, another pathetic call for help.
I broke my muffler off. Does anyone know where I could get some kind of exhaust hanger strap like you might find on aftermarket exhausts? Local shops just want to sell me a whole new can. Wallet says Uh Uh. Commons sense says I just need a patchup and repair job. And the flange welded up proper.
So, I need to find a place that will weld the flange on the exhaust pipe like it ought to have been, and also some kind of strap. Stainless is probably going to last longer than aluminum. I can bang something temporary together, but maybe someone has some ideas where to get something more substantial?
Looks like this right now:

Should look like this. notice the mounting flange is welded on the pipe, but mine is just floating, allowing too much wiggle, which broke the mount on the can.

Something like this could probably replace the broken mount on the can?
But where to find it? I can make one probably out of a silicon oven mitt and a bit of stainless strap. But I don't know where to get the strap.

Thoughts?
The macgyver in me would use this and an old inner tube.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #20042
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,144
That's exactly what I was about to get up to yesterday, and then I spotted some stainless strap I had brought home from work. It's used to band some electrical boxes to a post, which we are constantly cutting and discarding. I had apparently had some in my van, and it ended up in my garage. Nearly perfect!
I also have a silicone oven mitt in here somewhere that I used under the similar strap that's attached to the Yoshi exhaust on our DRZ. Somewhere.
Maybe some innertube will work for now though. I'll try to find the mitt first.

Then I only need to get the flange welded on to the midpipe, and it's back to business as normal.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #20043
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanook View Post
The macgyver in me would use this and an old inner tube.

That's the 'zact same stuff I have in my repertoire of parts that gives harcus fits. And harcus would be the best known welder of moto's that could be recommended.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #20044
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 853
Anyone have any routes near/through the wind river range? Anything not to miss on the way?
pilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #20045
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Anyone have any routes near/through the wind river range? Anything not to miss on the way?
There's a fast gravel route running south to north on the east side if the range that drops into Sinks Canyon then Lander with options to explore along the way for less travelled routes. It's a high elevation road on the wilderness boundary. Easy to find on any map. Also a fun route up the west side via Big Sandy.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #20046
trackhead
Utard Wankster

We are moving, and if my memory serves me right, a Utard
runs a moving company?

???

trackhead screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 06:18 AM
Old 07-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #20047
commander51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Frog, Two Man Movers
commander51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #20048
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander51 View Post
Frog, Two Man Movers
Thx
Old 07-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #20049
utahpowder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Good luck with the move Trackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
We are moving, and if my memory serves me right, a Utard
runs a moving company?

???
Tom mentioned to me you guys were looking at some travel. Good luck to you. You should check out the place at Big Mountain before you head out or at least drop in for a powder day in the winter if you guys are back for a stint then. Thanks for the fun routes and multi-day dirt tracks you scouted out. I also have a mover I have used who was excellent.

Bob
utahpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #20050
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Thx

PM'd ya
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #20051
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahpowder View Post
Tom mentioned to me you guys were looking at some travel. Good luck to you. You should check out the place at Big Mountain before you head out or at least drop in for a powder day in the winter if you guys are back for a stint then. Thanks for the fun routes and multi-day dirt tracks you scouted out. I also have a mover I have used who was excellent.

Bob
Bob, we will be back periodically. Renting the house out August 1 for two to three years. New home will be a 31' fifth wheel with my old XR on the back. Wife is quitting her job, and we will have more free time. I will be in the Sonoran desert for the next couple winters, exploring on the old moto and hanging in the sun. Pacific NW for summers, spring in Utah, fall in Midwest. Love to make some turns on your land this winter.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #20052
utahpowder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Bob, we will be back periodically. Renting the house out August 1 for two to three years. New home will be a 31' fifth wheel with my old XR on the back. Wife is quitting her job, and we will have more free time. I will be in the Sonoran desert for the next couple winters, exploring on the old moto and hanging in the sun. Pacific NW for summers, spring in Utah, fall in Midwest. Love to make some turns on your land this winter.

Wow...you are getting after the next chapter in true Trackhead fashion...all in. Tom and I will have to come down to the desert sometime and rally the motos with you as I'm sure you'll piece together some amazing routes there like you did in Utah.

You are welcome to come stay anytime up at the property anytime you are passing through here as we have a few great spots for trailers. Definitely hope you get time to make some turns next winter too. Best of luck to you and Nick and Alex.
utahpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #20053
MaverickChick
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 461
Quote:

Nice!!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #20054
Proud Highway
one hand waving free

Oddometer: 85
June 29 - July 3 UTBDR (sans section 3)
916 miles on the tw200
Finally checked one of my dream rides off the list. It did not disappoint.

Proud Highway screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 02:06 PM
Proud Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #20055
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Highway View Post
June 29 - July 3 UTBDR (sans section 3)
916 miles on the tw200
Finally checked one of my dream rides off the list. It did not disappoint.
Someone give this man a T Shirt or something!!!
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote