ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #20596
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Pretty good video that is a tribute to Kurt Caselli.

Thanks for posting.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #20597
accadacca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Anybody ridden cherry creek lately? I've heard there is some snow out there. Not sure how much?
accadacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #20598
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,561
I haven't been down to cc in a while...if the weather isn't crappy tomorrow, I could be up for going down and just messing around. I'd probably take the 990 down, and would just be having a good time. I'm not a great offroad rider....but I do provide comic relief when I get stuck on my back and can't get back up,,,,

Oh, and I have an odd request.... I'm thinking about getting a trials bike...but I've never had one...my theory is that it will provide a good workout and help develop my offroad skills.....

Does anyone have a trials bike - that is set up for a large adult male (I will NOT be kind to the shocks.... ) - who would allow me to try out some basic trials riding on it?? I'd really like to try it out a little before I commit to buying one....obviously if I break something on your bike, Pluric will pay for it.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #20599
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Trials bike tryout

I will be at Elberta for a trials event on 12-7.If you want to try mine out that would be ok. Do you have life insurance ?
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #20600
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I
Does anyone have a trials bike - that is set up for a large adult male (I will NOT be kind to the shocks.... ) - who would allow me to try out some basic trials riding on it?? I'd really like to try it out a little before I commit to buying one....obviously if I break something on your bike, Pluric will pay for it.....
I've owned several trials bikes over the years. I don't consider them something worth
owning to develop off road skills. They're very fun and you can play all day in a small
area with a few obstacles. As far as helping with higher speed off road help kind of
useless. Very softly sprung, designed for slow speed stability so they don't translate
well for what true dirt bikes are made to do.

Now, what did you want for Christmas again???

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #20601
fano
here and there

Oddometer: 652
Let me know if you want to try mine. I live pretty close to you and the backyard is not snowed in yet.

Anybody's riding some dirt tomorrow?

05 KTM 450 MXC , 01 Triumph Tiger 955i
04 KTM 950 ADV , 00 Husaberg 501FE
04 GasGas TXT300 PRO , 70 Jawa 250
fano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #20602
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,796
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fano View Post
Anybody's riding some dirt tomorrow?
On Mtbikes...
Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #20603
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I've owned several trials bikes over the years. I don't consider them something worth
owning to develop off road skills. They're very fun and you can play all day in a small
area with a few obstacles. As far as helping with higher speed off road help kind of
useless. Very softly sprung, designed for slow speed stability so they don't translate

Wow. I didn't expect that.

Ive owned a trials bike for a few years and wish I had of gotten one sooner or started riding on one. They teach insane bike control. Obviously you use a lot more of what you learn when going slow in rough stuff but when hauling ass I had a lot more then I thought. I learned more in my first year on a trails bike then my first 2 on a dirt bike. Its like packing a days worth off riding into a 20 yard section. IMHO

Mine isn't set up for a big guy bit your more then welcome to try it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #20604
2wheeladv
Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I've ridden Moab and Mesquite in November and March, but some friends want to go for a ride in January. Realistically we needs to choose the most accessible riding areas, so we won't try and go to Mexico.

So where are the best, closest riding areas withing striking distance of Utah come December and January?

I'm guessing we could still do Mesquite, we just would need to stay out in the desert west of the Grand Canyon and north of Lake Mead and obviously not try to climb into the mountains south of the Virgin River Gorge.

Vegas is a pretty straight shot down I-15, so areas around there seem pretty feasible. We rode around Phoenix one winter, and it was fantastic (Nightstalker has made a bunch of gps tracks available), but that's twice the drive it takes to get to Vegas.

Any suggestions for the closest winter rides?
If your going as far as Vegas, head to Death Valley. It's warmer. The rides are awesome with numerous destination points to explore. It's worth the trip for winter riding. Search Death Valley on ADVrider.
'06 Big Dog K-9
'03 HD Road King 100 YR '69 Triumph 650cc
2wheeladv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #20605
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,480
I make a trip out to DV almost once a year. We trailer to SG (get there by noon), then head west on dirt to Alamo, NV (still cold at night,so grab a cheep hotel). Head south out of town on dirt and we come out onto to 95 just east of Indian Springs. I've always stuck to the hwy past the military base (area 51?). Last time we entered DV via Titus Canyon, its probably the coolest way to enter the park (we get there around 1 or 2 PM).

If you decide to run this route, I can get you more details.

PS I take a different route home that only takes a day and trailer home into the night.

This post is useless without photos:
Titus Canyon

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home

YOGOI screwed with this post 11-30-2013 at 12:10 PM
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #20606
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Trials riding

There is no better way on this planet to learn how to actually ride a dirt bike then on a trials bike.When I spend time on the trailer I am much faster and smoother in the dunes and desert.Faster is a relative term here but you get the drift. This is one of those deals where if you try it you will like it.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #20607
Dread Pendragon
throttle to the donk

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeladv View Post
If your going as far as Vegas, head to Death Valley. It's warmer. The rides are awesome with numerous destination points to explore. It's worth the trip for winter riding. Search Death Valley on ADVrider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI View Post
I make a trip out to DV almost once a year. We trailer to SG (get there by noon), then head west on dirt to Alimo, NV (still cold at night,so grab a cheep hotel). Head south out of town on dirt and we come out onto to 95 just east of Indian Springs. I've always stuck to the hwy past the military base (area 51?). Last time we entered DV via Titus Canyon, its probably the coolest way to enter the park (we get there around 1 or 2 PM).

If you decide to run this route, I can get you more details.

PS I take a different route home that only takes a day and trailer home into the night.
Thanks, Death Valley it is!
Old 11-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #20608
buzzardair
Shrubbery Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI View Post
Titus Canyon

What incredible country!
buzzardair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #20609
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

Interesting take on it... I didn't think about the low speed vs high speed thing. I struggle on the loose rocky climbs (don't we all, at least a little) and sand frankly, makes me pee my pants...lol...I'm too heavy for sand...for me to get flotation I'd have to be doing like warp factor 7 or something I think....I may as well try riding on water...lol..so that's part of that issue. It could just be that I'm a big puss too though...lol... I do have a problem with my bike not running properly once it gets hot too, that I'm really struggling against. I really need to get that sorted out, it's pretty bad.

I want to develop the control on loose climbs and sliding around and stuff.... You dont still have that bike in the pic do you Pluric? You're closer to my size than Fano is...lol..I'd just have his springs bottomed out from the instant I step on it...lol...

For Christmas I want a new SuperDuke 1290, an 1190R with a Renazco on it....oh and a Motus.....and maybe a new indian....and....and....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
Old 11-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #20610
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
I will be at Elberta for a trials event on 12-7.If you want to try mine out that would be ok. Do you have life insurance ?
Mung, I'm going to pencil this into my calendar and if it looks good for me to be able to meet up, I'll PM you my cell phone number. I don't have life insurance, but I have several lawyers who are close friends / family members, will that be ok??