ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #20656
quota
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Did anyone know about this?:

Moto-Guzzi Salt Lake
I rode the custom version a week ago. The one without the bags. I'm not much for cruisers and have never ridden one that I liked at all, until riding the Cali 14. I actually enjoyed it a lot.

If I knew of anyone looking to buy a cruiser style bike, I'd really encourage them to try the Cali.
__________________
Western TAT ride
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #20657
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!
 
Beemermcr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Sandy, UT
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by quota View Post
I rode the custom version a week ago. The one without the bags. I'm not much for cruisers and have never ridden one that I liked at all, until riding the Cali 14. I actually enjoyed it a lot.

If I knew of anyone looking to buy a cruiser style bike, I'd really encourage them to try the Cali.
Did you ride the Stelvio, Mike?
__________________
Paul Baird
Sandy, UT
2013 Husky/BMW/KTM Terra
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #20658
quota
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
Did you ride the Stelvio, Mike?
Haven't been on a Stelvio since 2009, but sure like it then. I can only think that I'd like the current NTX version even more now.
__________________
Western TAT ride
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #20659
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!
 
Beemermcr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Sandy, UT
Oddometer: 293
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by quota View Post
Haven't been on a Stelvio since 2009, but sure like it then. I can only think that I'd like the current NTX version even more now.
Black one in the showroom is a demo ---
__________________
Paul Baird
Sandy, UT
2013 Husky/BMW/KTM Terra
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #20660
accadacca
Gnarly Adventurer
 
accadacca's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: South Jordan, UT
Oddometer: 153
We rode 5 mile today. Excellent riding weather and conditions.

accadacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #20661
Dread Pendragon
throttle to the donk
 
Dread Pendragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Oddometer: 2,533
I've ridden Moab and Mesquite in November and March, but some friends want to go for a ride in January. Realistically we needs to choose the most accessible riding areas, so we won't try and go to Mexico.

So where are the best, closest riding areas withing striking distance of Utah come December and January?

I'm guessing we could still do Mesquite, we just would need to stay out in the desert west of the Grand Canyon and north of Lake Mead and obviously not try to climb into the mountains south of the Virgin River Gorge.

Vegas is a pretty straight shot down I-15, so areas around there seem pretty feasible. We rode around Phoenix one winter, and it was fantastic (Nightstalker has made a bunch of gps tracks available), but that's twice the drive it takes to get to Vegas.

Any suggestions for the closest winter rides?
__________________
"Never get excited in a rally, its a race, but its never a race at that exact moment" -Quinn Cody
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #20662
Trailtwister
To the peak!
 
Trailtwister's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Salt Lick City
Oddometer: 466
Sounds like you pretty much figured it out. But it really depends on recent snow in the area.

GISKev posted a link to a website with snowcover / satellite photos. I'm not finding it quickly.

We've ridden Cherry Cr area every month of the year, maybe not all in the same year.

Been to Mesquite area in February a couple times. Much warmer there, plus less snow.

Ridden around Moab and Green River in Jan/ Feb too, in low-snow years. And the converse - sometimes too much snow even in March/ April.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I've ridden Moab and Mesquite in November and March, but some friends want to go for a ride in January. Realistically we needs to choose the most accessible riding areas, so we won't try and go to Mexico.

So where are the best, closest riding areas withing striking distance of Utah come December and January?

I'm guessing we could still do Mesquite, we just would need to stay out in the desert west of the Grand Canyon and north of Lake Mead and obviously not try to climb into the mountains south of the Virgin River Gorge.

Vegas is a pretty straight shot down I-15, so areas around there seem pretty feasible. We rode around Phoenix one winter, and it was fantastic (Nightstalker has made a bunch of gps tracks available), but that's twice the drive it takes to get to Vegas.

Any suggestions for the closest winter rides?
__________________
TrailTwister
Current bikes: '06 KTM 950 Adventure-S; '10 KTM 690 Enduro-R; '09 KTM 300 XCW - Plated
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. Its the life in your years -- Abraham Lincoln
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #20663
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
RedRockRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: St. George, UT
Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post

Any suggestions for the closest winter rides?
Mesquite and St. George offer good winter riding. Lots of areas below 2,500 ft almost never get snow. Generally good temps and lots of sunshine.
__________________

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #20664
Dread Pendragon
throttle to the donk
 
Dread Pendragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Oddometer: 2,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister View Post
We've ridden Cherry Cr area every month of the year, maybe not all in the same year.
I'm sure I should know already, but where is Cherry Creek?
__________________
"Never get excited in a rally, its a race, but its never a race at that exact moment" -Quinn Cody
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #20665
harcus
Beastly Adventurer
 
harcus's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the Wasatch
Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I'm sure I should know already, but where is Cherry Creek?
West of Eureka.
__________________
Want Creative Adventure Products? - See Globetrottin.com

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #20666
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Heber City, UT
Oddometer: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I'm sure I should know already, but where is Cherry Creek?
North of little sahara

Sent from my DROID RAZR
__________________
Thank you MX1WEST, Highway Dirt Bikes Lindsay Machine, Smart Performance, SPS for the Support
257x Solo Baja 1000
If I had not some strength of will I would make a first class drunkard--Shackleton
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #20667
GISkev
wwfsmd?
 
GISkev's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: UT
Oddometer: 1,781
hmmm

__________________
Merge w the traffic, but don't go w the flow!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #20668
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
I wonder if it vibrates?
Are you thinking ADV Christmas gifts???
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #20669
a1one
a1one-numero uno-saucy
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Bike de Barrio
Oddometer: 306
Eh? Fascinating

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
Fascinating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFods1KSWsQ
__________________

a1one - 1 definition - numero uno. ... A1 Grand Prix · A1 Sauce · A1 Thick-N-Hearty NATIONWIDE·
a1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #20670
GISkev
wwfsmd?
 
GISkev's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: UT
Oddometer: 1,781
Sunday Dirt!

It will be a fascinating ride tomorrow... Dirt bike from Stockton anyone?
__________________
Merge w the traffic, but don't go w the flow!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015