ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #21136
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Welcome to Utardia. The conversation ebbs and flows depending on the weekend. There is a lot of riding close the SLC area. Look up American Fork Canyon for single track (way to early though), 5 Mile, Cherry Creek (lots of sand), and Hobble Creek/Diamond Fork (a lot of different names for this huge area, but a lot of fun riding). A little further out is Dell, Knolls.

Check back every so often. Someone is usually riding somewhere each weekend and throws out a notice.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #21137
anomad
in storage

Oddometer: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
I was just redirected to this thread, moving to SLC in a few weeks and looking for places to ride, very excited for the change!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968470
Where is the TRY state area you are moving from?? Utah doesn't try, it's a fucking balls out swinging state. But you're probably not moving here for the politics.

I ride pedal and moto. Be happy to slow you down to boring/safe speeds on either one. If you like to commute by bicycle you'll like salt lake city.

anomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #21138
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,452
BIG changes for my wife and I, we currently live in Hoboken and work in Manhattan. I am originally from Orange County NY about an hour north of the city. I actually went to school at USU for 2 years back in 1996.
I would love to pedal/ moto, looking forward to exploring and meeting new peeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomad View Post
Where is the TRY state area you are moving from?? Utah doesn't try, it's a fucking balls out swinging state. But you're probably not moving here for the politics.

I ride pedal and moto. Be happy to slow you down to boring/safe speeds on either one. If you like to commute by bicycle you'll like salt lake city.
I saw some posts on American Fork, that looks amazing! I will keep checking in, as I said we should be arriving sometime first week of May, loading up my pickup and renting a trailer and departing last week of April

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post
Welcome to Utardia. The conversation ebbs and flows depending on the weekend. There is a lot of riding close the SLC area. Look up American Fork Canyon for single track (way to early though), 5 Mile, Cherry Creek (lots of sand), and Hobble Creek/Diamond Fork (a lot of different names for this huge area, but a lot of fun riding). A little further out is Dell, Knolls.

Check back every so often. Someone is usually riding somewhere each weekend and throws out a notice.
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #21139
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,796
slab stopper

Mirror Lake Hwy:

anyone riding Sunday?
Old 04-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #21140
Gunner45
Out on the trail

Oddometer: 188
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardair View Post
Packing for Moab tomorrow!

I was down in Moab on Tuesday. The trails are in great shape. I wasn't on my bike though.

Had the kids with me in the Xterra. My daughter said she wanted to see "the license plate arch", so down to Moab we went for the day.

I was bummed to find out that my favorite place to eat in Moab had gone out of bizz though. No more Slick rock café.

They have graded potash/Shaffer road, and the white rim trail is in sweet shape. At least out to Musselman arch.

Long canyon is good. Even pucker pass has been filled and graded.

Have fun
Old 04-12-2014, 12:06 AM   #21141
RMRichar
Quidditch Captain

Oddometer: 24
LC4 Hydraulic Clutch Bleed

So, I'd love to be riding but a leftover problem from last season is preventing it...

Anyone know how to bleed a Magura hydraulic clutch? If you have secret knowledge (I couldn't find a great explanation elsewhere and failed trying a few things myself) or special tools please PM me! There's copious amounts of Homebrew, whiskey, whatever your fancy for the individual that helps me bleeding this thing and diagnosing why it crapped out in the first place! I also work for Skullcandy so I will hook you up with headphones too

We'll be working in my annoying parking garage near the U but hey, there's the perks!
RMRichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #21142
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,796
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMRichar View Post
So, I'd love to be riding but a leftover problem from last season is preventing it...

Anyone know how to bleed a Magura hydraulic clutch? If you have secret knowledge (I couldn't find a great explanation elsewhere and failed trying a few things myself) or special tools please PM me! There's copious amounts of Homebrew, whiskey, whatever your fancy for the individual that helps me bleeding this thing and diagnosing why it crapped out in the first place! I also work for Skullcandy so I will hook you up with headphones too

We'll be working in my annoying parking garage near the U but hey, there's the perks!
Give me enough whiskey and I'll tear down your transmission so well that you won't need your clutch!
Old 04-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #21143
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,452
Google reverse bleed with a syringe, super easy. Bleeding it like a brake is a hit or miss.
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #21144
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 775
Note to Mods: Please do not move this post to the Flea Market. It is not intended as an offer to sell, but rather information for local Utards.

I purchased a new KTM 1190 Adventure R in January. Because of my work I have been a little behind on projects. My son volunteered to clean up my V-Strom this week, so I dropped it off at The Edge Motorsports today to have them sell it on consignment. I'm not going to try and convince anyone that a V-Strom is something other than what is truly is. However, I will say you would be hard pressed to find a better setup V-Strom, ready for a real Adventure, than this bike. If you know anyone looking for a well set up V-Strom, send them to The Edge.

I typed this up for The Edge so potential buyers would realize what has gone into the bike.

2003 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000

Modifications:
• Removal of Charcoal Canister
• Removal of Secondary throttle body butterfly valves
• Custom Oil Cooler Rock Guard
• Four BMW type power outlet
• Modified sprocket sizes, will outrun a 2012 BMW R1200GS or GSA from 0-120 MPH
• Voltage Indicator LED mounted to dash: Green = 13+ volts, Yellow = 12 volts, Red = <12 volts

Installed Accessories:
• Marsee 21 Liter Tank Bag with Rain Cover
• Hard Luggage with accessory tail trunk rack, Passenger Backrest and internal bungee nets for organizing gear.
• Touring Windscreen
• Suzuki center stand
• Accessory Fuse Panel that powers on with ignition.
• Accessory Grounding Block
• Gorilla Alarm with Remote Control
• Custom Mirror Extensions
• Custom Rear Rack Location Extension
• Rear Brake Light Modulator
• Touratech Crash Bars w/ custom forward pegs for long distance comfort
• Corbin - custom saddle
• Hella Driving Lights with custom mount to keep them 'in-board'
• Mount and power to ignition for ValentineOne Radar detector
• Autocom intercom wired for: Kenwood FM 2-way radios, music, ValentineOne Radar Detector. Includes Helmet headset.
• Heated grips wired to Heat Troller variable adjustable heat control w/ compound Hi/Low switch for those really cold mornings.
• Heat Troller heated vest control wired to accessory socket on left side below helmet lock
• Mount for Scott's Steering Damper
• Gold Valves in front suspension
• Stainless Steel front Brake lines
• Ignition Power for Garmin GPS
• Throttle Mister Cruise Control
• Fastway over sized Foot pegs

Uninstalled/Included Accessories:
• Suzuki bike cover
• Radiator Rock Guard
• Suzuki Tank Bra (new)
• XL rear cargo rack for camping (available upon request)
• Alt Rider over sized Sand Foot for side stand
• Touratech folding gear shift pedal
• Spare Suzuki Clutch lever
• Spare Suzuki front brake lever
• Electronic Factory Service Manuals
Old 04-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #21145
RMRichar
Quidditch Captain

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
Give me enough whiskey and I'll tear down your transmission so well that you won't need your clutch!
Honda DCT auto shifting on the KTM!

Quote:
Google reverse bleed with a syringe, super easy. Bleeding it like a brake is a hit or miss.
I'll look into it. If I can find a cheap syringe I'd give it a go.
RMRichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #21146
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 9,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMRichar View Post
Honda DCT auto shifting on the KTM!

I'll look into it. If I can find a cheap syringe I'd give it a go.
I have done both the bleed and the reverse bleed, I prefer the reverse bleed but I would enjoy watching the whiskey proposition.....I have a harbor freight brake bleeder if it's useful to youse....

Todd, I just had my display replaced on an '08 690 by those Edge service folks, under warranty no less although I did pay a labor fee. About as good as it could get on a 6 year old moto....I could imagine (and read) much worse outcomes. I stuck up a post in the Wunderthread just to tweak the constant whiners and a thread in OC....good luck on the VStrom, the new version looks more interesting.....did you do a comparison ride yet?
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #21147
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

Todd, I just had my display replaced on an '08 690 by those Edge service folks, under warranty no less although I did pay a labor fee. About as good as it could get on a 6 year old moto....I could imagine (and read) much worse outcomes. I stuck up a post in the Wunderthread just to tweak the constant whiners and a thread in OC....good luck on the VStrom, the new version looks more interesting.....did you do a comparison ride yet?

I've done several comparisons, could you be more specific what you wondering about? I would be happy to elaborate.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #21148
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 9,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad View Post
I've done several comparisons, could you be more specific what you wondering about? I would be happy to elaborate.
Updated VStrom, 1190R, 1190Std.....what else was on your plate?

Ricky contends that he's part owner....in JoMomma of course......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Vicious rumor from an unsecured site.

It's Todd-squads. I just call it "ours".
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.

The Walrus screwed with this post 04-12-2014 at 10:20 PM
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #21149
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Updated VStrom, 1190R, 1190Std.....what else was on your plate?

Ricky contends that he's part owner....in JoMomma of course......
Yes, Pluric does call it ours. He has always been very generous in letting me ride/barrow any of his bikes. I consider him to be my motorcycle Sensei. So I don't get to worked up when he calls it ours. The truth is, he would probably buy one if he could get his hands on it.

I didn't exactly do a bunch of comparison shopping for this bike. I put my deposit down early last April, and finally got my bike in early January. However, since placing my deposit, I have kept a pretty close eye on the market. Fortunately I haven't seen anything I liked better. I've had my V-Strom since December of 2003. It has been a great bike and has always brought me home from where ever I have ridden it. It was cheap, dependable, and pretty good performance. None of my friends BMW GS's could outrun the V-Strom until the 2013 model came out. The same could be said for the Yamaha Tenere, that is until Pluric got the second ECM flash. Now it is a monster.

I quite like the Standard 1190, however I opted for the R because it was more comfortable to ride standing up, and it had additional ground clearance. The difference in street handling is pretty minimal. I didn't give serious consideration to the new V-Strom. I know that Suzuki claims it was completely redesigned, but in my opinion, it was only somewhat redesigned. Yes, they added ABS, and I think it also has a basic traction control. It also has new body work. Adding 1.5 to 2 hp doesn't qualify for a new engine. From the outside, it appears to be the same engine, same frame, same swing arm, and same suspension. That is a whole lot of the same.

I quite like the Tenere. It's ride quality hides its weight very well. It's suspension handles rough roads very well. What primarily swayed me to the KTM is the 150 HP engine, and the offroad suspension tuning. I love my 525 MXC, it is just too small to be a decent street bike. With the 1190, it feels like my 525 and my V-Strom had a child. Great street performance, and holigan handling. Due to the snow and my travel schedule for work, I haven't had a chance to get it off road. However, I'm hoping to do the Southern half of the UTBDR next month.

The BMW GS is a great bike with an impressive lineage. I didn't give it serious consideration because of its limited offroad capabilities, and uninspiring ride. If anyone out there has different opinions about current Adventure bikes, then I'm happy for you. I didn't write any of this to pick a fight, it's just my opinion. I expect you to feel strongly about your own.

Todd-Squad
Old 04-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #21150
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad View Post
Yes, Pluric does call it ours. He has always been very generous in letting me ride/barrow any of his bikes. I consider him to be my motorcycle Sensei. So I don't get to worked up when he calls it ours. The truth is, he would probably buy one if he could get his hands on it.

Todd-Squad
Couldn't be more impressed with an out of the crate bike.

Unfortunately the timing couldn't be worse. Daughter is engaged, she made an offer on a home
that needs a facelift, getting too old to enjoy this stuff as much and sadly sniffing around
for a new sideXside seems more interesting to me.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote