ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #21286
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister View Post
Wow that looks exciting. Hopefully ambient air temp allowed for comfortable dry-off.

Glad you could ride away.
We were too. I was damn glad to have my wind breaker with me. Oddly, in the mini dry bag it did NOT get wet. The additional challenge we had was minimal lighting. I had the big LEDs, Fano the small Cyclops, Jason n Steve with head band lites. And we really had no clue how to get out, particularly in the dark. All travel was by dead reckoning but we drove straight to the truck. Amazing. But that was by a little after 800 PM.

Current rides - '03 ST1300 74k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga

harcus screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 08:10 PM
harcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #21287
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,600
slip on?

Great adventures everyone!

anyone got an old slip on exhaust for cheap? The girl next door bought a 93 klx 250 and the PO put the stock pipe back on.
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #21288
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Jim - Wow - crazy! Where were you guys? I recognize Steve's mug there too..

Glad to hear you got it out quickly and easily. Similar to when my 520 when in the drink. Totally salvageable and came back together easily with a little draining... Glad to hear you got it running and quickly.

Somehow mine was completely flooded with water - both oil and transmission, in the gas, air filter of course, in the exhaust header, muffler packing, was hydrolocked, and also took out my ring seal possibly from trying to use the starter to get water out after the fact. Best way is to put upside down as you guys did...

Did the whole top end yesterday. Didn't hone but it only had maybe 20 hours on it since the previous time. Maybe should have honed, or will next time. These 08 and later bikes are pretty amazing for pretty major work - designed for easy top end servicing - don't even have to break the cam chain, it slips right off.. Did the rings in maybe 4 hours total. So far seems to be running great and doesn't appear to be burning any oil as far as I can tell and similar power to before. So lucked out..

Also huge thanks to Ryman - sent me an extra set of genuine KTM head gaskets for free.. Owe you some beer or a breakfast or two so something...

On the 08-11s with the crappy piston ring design. Also turns out the Vertex rings fit the stock piston or their vertex piston so you don't even have to replace the stock piston. You can do a top end on these pretty cheaply. I'd say less than $100 assuming no major machine work (hone only)...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #21289
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,429

Great you caught that on video.
I know right were you were, In fact, I know that very hole that swallowed you up. I wonder how many victims that thing has claimed?

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #21290
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,012
Off topic,,but do any of you guys know where I can get one of these locally? I want to go from a battery tender lead to a male cigarette lighter adapter.... I've got a hot all the time port on my dash and this will make it a snap to put the tender on it. Would like to buy local and pick up today if possible.

Battery Tender to a cigarette lighter port adapter

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #21291
StiffCheddar
n00b with a dream

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Off topic,,but do any of you guys know where I can get one of these locally? I want to go from a battery tender lead to a male cigarette lighter adapter.... I've got a hot all the time port on my dash and this will make it a snap to put the tender on it. Would like to buy local and pick up today if possible.

I've seen them at the BMW dealer on 90th - but it was over a year ago.
StiffCheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #21292
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiffCheddar View Post
I've seen them at the BMW dealer on 90th - but it was over a year ago.
Thanks for the suggestion - I never would have thought of them. Unfortunately no stock.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
Old 02-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #21293
buzzardair
Shrubbery Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:

Battery Tender to a cigarette lighter port adapter

Got one today in the mail from amazon.

I am sure it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the dealer.
buzzardair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #21294
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Thanks man. I'm probably going to end up going the amazon route. I was hoping to source it locally and have it today, but I'm striking out. It really disappoints on the instant gratification...

Old 02-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #21295
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,544
Quote:
Thanks man. I'm probably going to end up going the amazon route. I was hoping to source it locally and have it today, but I'm striking out. It really disappoints on the instant gratification...
Have you called Wright's? They carry a fair amount of Battery Tender stuff. 801-266-2050.

Also the Slime inflators at Walmart have a plug like that to run off of.

pluric screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 03:21 PM
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #21296
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Thanks guys!
I finally fingered it out... Lol...Life's complex questions and all that.... The good 'ol Shack had a selection of Enercell adapters... Took all of five minutes to snip off the alligator clips from the Battery Tender stuff, and pop it together. It even keeps the inline fuse and makes it so you can't mess up the polarity... plus I went to the one over in a Valley Fair mall to make it "exotic"...

The Shack saves the day

Old 02-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #21297
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,544
Gerbil wasn't enough? Electric butt plugs??? Let us know how the birthday gift was received.
I mean how she took it. No, did she like it? You can be such a pain in the ass sometimes.

If you need a beta tester I believe Walrus would pay you to try it.

On second thought he would probably need the 110 volt model when it comes out.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #21298
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 454
body cavities

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Very little so it appears. On the river we could see a bit of white in the glass but the next day I drained n flushed it & could find hardly any giving me the impression it must have evaporated on the way out. As I said before, the big issue was water on the filter. Even after multiple wring outs n shake outs there were still some drops. PITA!
Probly you already though of it, but ... Be sure to check all your bike's body cavities ... standing water will corrupt.

Current bikes:
'06 KTM 950 Adventure-S
'09 KTM 300 XCW - Plated

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts -- Bertrand Russell
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. Its the life in your years -- Abraham Lincoln
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #21299
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Gerbil wasn't enough? Electric butt plugs??? Let us know how the birthday gift was received.
I mean how she took it. No, did she like it? You can be such a pain in the ass sometimes.

If you need a beta tester I believe Walrus would pay you to try it.

On second thought he would probably need the 110 volt model when it comes out.
Like Orville Redenbacher used to say; "do one thing, and do it better than anyone else"........

And it's perfectly normal to have a two foot piece of rope tied to your pet gerbil.....
Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #21300
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,486
A video from our Enduro last weekend. This is where I ride regularly. When it gets too cold for riding in Utardia, consider a stop in Texas...only 15 hours away

Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote