ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #3001
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric
Put it in the trunk of your car, fill it with ice and put it on the trailer.

Better yet, put it next to the Buell and leave the key on. The fan will
keep it happy.

Even better yet throw a going away party!!!!
Now we're talking!!!! Although I don't usually drink a lot of wine....
Old 06-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #3002
roborider
New River Roborider

Oddometer: 193
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrShootr
Well...there's only one way to improve yer riding skills.....
Agreed completely - and I'm practicing in the 30-acre field nearby (that has lots of old irrigation ditches), working on balance, control, etc. Confidence is higher, and I've also learned that airing down tires for off-pavement really helps (and I've picked up a compressor to re-inflate). Also picked up a Dual Sport Riding DVD that has good tips and suggestions.

So, as you see, I'm working on it.

I'll work on gravel and fire-roads until my skills improve enough so that I'm not slowing a group down before I head out!
Old 06-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #3003
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by roborider
Agreed completely - and I'm practicing in the 30-acre field nearby (that has lots of old irrigation ditches), working on balance, control, etc. Confidence is higher, and I've also learned that airing down tires for off-pavement really helps (and I've picked up a compressor to re-inflate). Also picked up a Dual Sport Riding DVD that has good tips and suggestions.

I'll work on gravel and fire-roads until my skills improve enough so that I'm not slowing a group down before I head out!
You'll notice that some trails are easier then gravel roads on those tires. I practice a lot by the "B". Where is this 30acre field you talk of? Seems like a fun place to ride!

The "way" to learn though, is to try and keep up w/ others and learn by watching. Amazing how much I've learned just from BSing around w/ the folks in this forum.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #3004
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:

Safety equipment builds confidence...it's almost like a shot of hard liquor before a ride.

I have dumped my bike (and others...sorry guys) so many times since I started riding off road, but being able to walk, or at least limp away makes it that much easier to get on the bike and try it again.

Oh, and that pretty little lady standing next to you in yer avatar will 'preciate ya comin' home in one piece, even if the bike doesn't.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #3005
roborider
New River Roborider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrShootr
You'll notice that some trails are easier then gravel roads on those tires. I practice a lot by the "B". Where is this 30acre field you talk of? Seems like a fun place to ride!

The "way" to learn though, is to try and keep up w/ others and learn by watching. Amazing how much I've learned just from BSing around w/ the folks in this forum.
My 30-acre field is across the street from my house in Heber - 6 five-acre lots that nobody wants to buy, and they're just sagebrush and old irrigation ditches. A great place for me and the dogs to go to and play! It's not very challenging except for the rocky spots and the irrigation ditches, but I get a lot of practice going slow and balancing, picking out my path, control of clutch/brake, etc.

Agree with you about the keeping up, which I'll do when I have a chance to do so. I'm not shy about doing new things or trying new roads/trails - I'm also heading out to the racetrack on Sunday to practice my track skills on the Strom (for a second time).

Thanks for the advice and prompting - I'll keep an eye out for challenging rides, and hopefully meet you on one of them!
Old 06-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #3006
roborider
New River Roborider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
Safety equipment builds confidence...it's almost like a shot of hard liquor before a ride.

I have dumped my bike (and others...sorry guys) so many times since I started riding off road, but being able to walk, or at least limp away makes it that much easier to get on the bike and try it again.

Oh, and that pretty little lady standing next to you in yer avatar will 'preciate ya comin' home in one piece, even if the bike doesn't.
All the gear, all the time! I'm a believer in gearing up so I don't stay down!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #3007
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
My 30-acre field is across the street from my house in Heber - 6 five-acre lots that nobody wants to buy, and they're just sagebrush and old irrigation ditches. A great place for me and the dogs to go to and play! It's not very challenging except for the rocky spots and the irrigation ditches, but I get a lot of practice going slow and balancing, picking out my path, control of clutch/brake, etc.

Agree with you about the keeping up, which I'll do when I have a chance to do so. I'm not shy about doing new things or trying new roads/trails - I'm also heading out to the racetrack on Sunday to practice my track skills on the Strom (for a second time).

Thanks for the advice and prompting - I'll keep an eye out for challenging rides, and hopefully meet you on one of them!
Did you work the track at superbike?

If so I parked next to you and we chatted a bit... if not I look forward to ridin with you!
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #3008
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
[/quote]

.......As a going away present here is a photo that can be printed and
kept in your wallet. I know it will always mean alot to you.
Depending what you print it on it also can make a nice ass wipe.

[/quote]

That reminds me.....Do you know where I could a full size of this shot for target practice?

Haven't had the AK out for a while...
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #3009
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly
I could use somebody to ship some wine. I have 50 bottles of pretty good stuff and the movers won't ship it. Bastards.
Hmmm....I will be happy to store it for you.....
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #3010
roborider
New River Roborider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre
Did you work the track at superbike?

If so I parked next to you and we chatted a bit... if not I look forward to ridin with you!
Yep, sure did - corner marshal F15 - Talked to a few different guys, remind me? Pic/description/bike? Here I am - Hepco Becker's are new since the races, so are the scratches on my bags...

Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #3011
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,039
I was on the Ulysses. I worked F12- Blackrock Hairpin..'08 and '09 now. We talked about the great rides out of Heber and Wolf Creek Pass and such...
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #3012
roborider
New River Roborider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre
I was on the Ulysses. I worked F12- Blackrock Hairpin..'08 and '09 now. We talked about the great rides out of Heber and Wolf Creek Pass and such...
Yep, I remember (which is a miracle in and of itself!) - look forward to riding with you sometime - Hanna's kitchen for breakfast some Saturday or Sunday? I'm out of town next week, but will look you up after I get back on June 22nd or so, if you're interested.

Have a good night!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #3013
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,884
.......As a going away present here is a photo that can be printed and
kept in your wallet. I know it will always mean alot to you.
Depending what you print it on it also can make a nice ass wipe.

[/quote]

That reminds me.....Do you know where I could a full size of this shot for target practice?

Haven't had the AK out for a while...[/quote]

I'll be happy to stand where ever you need. You couldn't hit a
Goldwing with a trailer.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:26 AM   #3014
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,494
I know it's a little early to start planning for the weekend, but I am going for a slab ride on Saturday. One of my buddies is moving next week and we have been saying we were going to go on a ride for years now.

He rides a naked duck, so I don't think he's interested in off-road stuff. However, if anyone wants to come along, as soon as it starts raining, I am sure he'll want to call it quits...then we can go get muddy!
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 AM   #3015
roborider
New River Roborider

Mirror Lake highway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
I know it's a little early to start planning for the weekend, but I am going for a slab ride on Saturday. One of my buddies is moving next week and we have been saying we were going to go on a ride for years now.

He rides a naked duck, so I don't think he's interested in off-road stuff. However, if anyone wants to come along, as soon as it starts raining, I am sure he'll want to call it quits...then we can go get muddy!
I was thinking of heading up Mirror Lake highway, across and over to Evanston and then finding my way back by avoiding I-80. If that appeals to you and your friend, perhaps we could coordinate - let me know. I'll probably stay out of the mud, though...

Monte Cristo is also open now, too.

roborider screwed with this post 06-10-2009 at 06:53 AM
roborider is offline   Reply With Quote