ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #3316
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrShootr

If a 690 is a bad choice, what would be a better one? Until I get a trailer, I think that's the best street-going-relatively-light DS out there.
Maybe an injected TE-610, then the big step to the 950SE(My drool bike). I've been looking for a nice used 610(and a 690, big$$), no luck.
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #3317
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Reading all the reviews on this bike, I find it hard to believe it is an unreliable motorcycle. So far, the 690 seems to be my next bike, a 300 or 250 will be next.
A 300 or 250? Come take this one for a spin!!

Street legal now, well almost, not a big fan of DOT tires,lol. I was going to use this as a TAT bike, but MaverickChicks KTM 400EXC didn't happen, so it's 2 DRZ's for us now.
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #3318
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,089
Quote:
Reading all the reviews on this bike, I find it hard to believe it is an unreliable motorcycle. So far, the 690 seems to be my next bike, a 300 or 250 will be next.

Frog, early next year. You're more then welcome to test ride it.....bastard made ME want to ride orange bikes, now wants to ride mine before I even get it!?

If a 690 is a bad choice, what would be a better one? Until I get a trailer, I think that's the best street-going-relatively-light DS out there.
Sounds like a trailer and a 690 are a perfect combination, oh, and a cell phone.

Da, da, da, dut, ta daaaa....

Wait a minute, what am I laughing at? I have one.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #3319
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad
I used to really want a 690, then I read that thread on here about the guy who has bought a '08 690SE and it has done nothing but lay down on him and leave him stranded in all sorts of miserable places.

They sure look fun, but I have no use for unreliable bikes.

Todd-Squad
Especially on a bike that runs >60% off road........and a street legal XRR is one other answer for a lightweight solution. I've heard good things about the Huskies but the widespread availability of parts and dealers makes it a great bike. It takes a bit of work to make it street-legal but that's not much. You also need a right leg to kick it going....

It's almost orange......and yes, that Ktoom suspension is a big step up......but the XRR is very affordable.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #3320
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Hear ya go. Not orange but it would work better then the strom everywhere except on the highway.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...7&cat=236&lpid
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #3321
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,497
Hey,

If anyone is headed to Full Throttle soon, can I talk you into picking up my stock cans for me? My wife dropped me off and left before I could load all the extra parts, and I couldn't carry them on the bike.

Looks like I am going to ride 5-mile this Sunday. I want to get out really early before all my "cuzins" wake up and get their ATVs loaded.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #3322
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:

Frog, early next year. You're more then welcome to test ride it.....bastard made ME want to ride orange bikes, now wants to ride mine before I even get it!?

The dealer in Vernal has a used 690 he was selling. If you want, I can contact them and see if it is still for sale. They are a Suzuki dealer as well, and may take the Strom in trade.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #3323
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
I've been considering the XRRs, I was very impressed with what I saw Infidel do on one. The 525 would probably not be a good solution for me. It'd not be as good as a 690 on road, but also not as good as a 250/300 off road.

If I could, I'd keep the v-strom, get a 6XX and a 2XX dirt bikes. For now, I'll wait until I get a real job before I spend money on a bike...unless someone wants to trade their dirt beast for a v-strom!

After all, I'd have to be twice my age before I'd start using the v-strom for what it was meant to do...
Old 07-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #3324
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
The dealer in Vernal has a used 690 he was selling. If you want, I can contact them and see if it is still for sale. They are a Suzuki dealer as well, and may take the Strom in trade.

Unless I come out of the trade even, or with cash in hand, I can't do it.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #3325
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,694
+1 on XR650R!

Infidel knows his bikes... Last weekend i slabbed to springville at 90MPH then CRawLED up vert single track up a ravine, chasing a couple guys on KTM 300's... good time, but the XRR really loves forest roads!...

Name:  PICT0014.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  87.3 KB

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #3326
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

<525 is for chicks.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #3327
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
Especially on a bike that runs >60% off road........and a street legal XRR is one other answer for a lightweight solution. I've heard good things about the Huskies but the widespread availability of parts and dealers makes it a great bike. It takes a bit of work to make it street-legal but that's not much. You also need a right leg to kick it going....

It's almost orange......and yes, that Ktoom suspension is a big step up......but the XRR is very affordable.......

This one is already Honda Red and more useful.

pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #3328
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
How much you want for the strom? Randy Beers is the owner there, he overloaded this year not expecting the oilfield to crash overnight here. He will make a great deal I'll bet.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #3329
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by fano
Ooooohhhhh all knowing Fano:

So, I show up, pay $39 for an AMA card and $50 for my "big bike" and short of tipping the waitress or buying a soda, is there much more $$$ involved?

Also, are there any safety requirements I need to know about? Does my clutch lever still need to have a ball? Tie wires on drain plug? Help the ignorant out here. I raced stock-cars for 5 years so I know there's a rule book somewhere.....what tech/safety specs need I worry about? And is the "sportsman" class the one for non-competative newbies that just want to finish without dying or doing major damage to anything (including themselves)? Thanks in advance for your help and anyone else with knowledge, opinion, or otherwise feel free to chime in.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #3330
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

They poke a stick in your pipe to check for a spark arrestor and thats about it.

Nationals are expensive because of the ama thing but there aren't any other expenses other then regular bike prep. Nothing major just don't waste money and go out with a bike thats going to break down.

Sportsman is usually just shorter or less loops but on the same course and they start last. Novice or sportsman would work. Sportsman will have a lot less people to line up against.

If you in decent shape and don't get too competetive and ride over your head you more then likely won't get hurt. The great part about it is you can just ride and not owrry about your buddies and you also don't have to worry about having a head on with someone going the oppsite direction.