ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #3376
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
My valves haven't been adjusted for just about that many miles......they don't sound loose so I haven't really thought about attacking that job........I'd like to hear you had to tighten yours when they started to clatter....the boys at Thumpertalk seem split between frequent adjustments (like you) and longer intervals.....1500-2000 miles.

My XRR pretty much doesn't do the slab miles that you do on yours, how much DOT rubber do you burn? I'm on the same set of 606's for the past 1.5 years....and still pretty knobby.....
This is an interesting conversation. I've been wanting a KTM 640/690 versus a XRR mostly because of the 600 mile interval the XRR calls for in it's manual.

Maybe I'm just concerned about it because the maint. on the dl1000 is a PITA for anything other then oil changes.

Speaking of oil change, valve adjustment, air filter cleaning, spark plugs and other maintenance stuff....how about we do another tech day once temps start cooling down a bit?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #3377
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,886
V Strom 19,000 never been touched, KLR 9,800 never been touched, FJR 16,000 never been touched, DR about 5,000 same, 15,000 between the two SV 650s. Of course air filters and oil changes.

Some of my other bikes came with miles on them so I don't know for sure
their past status. If I don't hear it clicking I don't sweat it.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #3378
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrShootr
This is an interesting conversation. I've been wanting a KTM 640/690 versus a XRR mostly because of the 600 mile interval the XRR calls for in it's manual.

Maybe I'm just concerned about it because the maint. on the dl1000 is a PITA for anything other then oil changes.

Speaking of oil change, valve adjustment, air filter cleaning, spark plugs and other maintenance stuff....how about we do another tech day once temps start cooling down a bit?
........I think that the XRR's that get raced (their original purpose) are subject to those types of intervals....and the XRR is still pretty easy to maintain in comparison to the KTM's IMHO........

Another tech day would be nice but I'm caught up on my bikes right now....who has a big enough concrete pad to hold 4-8 bikes......I can trailer in my tool chest, brake bleeder and TwinMax..........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #3379
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric
V Strom 19,000 never been touched, KLR 9,800 never been touched, FJR 16,000 never been touched, DR about 5,000 same, 15,000 between the two SV 650s. Of course air filters and oil changes.

You're a real estate agent, I'm a MECHANICAL engineer. What makes you think I'll wait until it breaks to take it apart?

One thing I definitely like about the v-strom is that it has 15k miles and the only thing I've done to it are oil changes, clean air filter and once did a TBS with the help of our GS owners. But I think that was more of a screw up from the dealer then anything else.

I am hoping honda made it easier to do their maintenance then suzuki has though.....removing the damn gas tank to get to the air filter? That's kind of ridiculous....maybe they should hire me to engineer their DS bikes.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #3380
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrShootr
You're a real estate agent, I'm a MECHANICAL engineer. What makes you think I'll wait until it breaks to take it apart?

One thing I definitely like about the v-strom is that it has 15k miles and the only thing I've done to it are oil changes, clean air filter and once did a TBS with the help of our GS owners. But I think that was more of a screw up from the dealer then anything else.

I am hoping honda made it easier to do their maintenance then suzuki has though.....removing the damn gas tank to get to the air filter? That's kind of ridiculous....maybe they should hire me to engineer their DS bikes.
I was a mechanic for years at Plaza (Fuck you) Cycle. I seldom swear on line. They deserve it. My dad was a machinist his whole life. He spent a good part of his career telling "engineers" how to do their job.

Bunch of over educated pencil pushers who have no idea how the real
world really works. No offense. Real Estate just pays better than turning
wrenches.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Better yet, take it apart and then call all
your engineer buddies to come put it back together.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #3381
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Just picked up another bike to add to the quiver. It's actually for my wife for cruising around at our cabin at Bear Lake.

With the three bikes I have, my total engine cubic inch displacement is up to a whopping 570cc.

Watch out as my wife passes you on your big bikes.

trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #3382
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
Just picked up another bike to add to the quiver. It's actually for my wife for cruising around at our cabin at Bear Lake.

With the three bikes I have, my total engine cubic inch displacement is up to a whopping 570cc.

Watch out as my wife passes you on your big bikes.

Other than the levers that's a very clean score!

Your wife can pass me anytime. I'll be on the bike just waiting to break.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #3383
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:

I thought that as your valve seat wore out the clearance was reduced?? So, you wouldn't hear any clicking 'til after you burned a valve??

Being a Buell rider I must say "If I don't hear it clicking I check to see if I jumped on the wrong bike. If not I KNOW its gonna blow up!!"
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #3384
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre
I thought that as your valve seat wore out the clearance was reduced?? So, you wouldn't hear any clicking 'til after you burned a valve??
Can go either way. Cams can wear the lobe down creating clearance.
Shims can get dished a little. I prefer shim style where the cam pushes
direct onto the shim. Pain to adjust if you don't have an assortment
of shims.

Tappet style with a rocker arm seem to need adjustment more. I think
they are easy to adjust so not a big deal. I have some quads that need
that done. I can hear the ticking. Too many other projects in front of them.

I generally find the the clearance is loose over being tight.

My kids old Yamaha 80 would always get a tight intake valve and
start hard. Loosen the tappet and all was good.

As a youth my stuff was all two strokes. Since the late 70's my big
bores have all been 4 stroke. I've never had an engine failure on a 4 stroke.
A couple seizures on the 2 strokes. (Auto lube tank was empty on a bike I
loaned to my nephew) So not even the bikes fault.

Opps, I take that back. XL 250 ate the cam. Knocked a small hole in the
case and didn't know it. Suckers will run for quite a while with out oil.

pluric screwed with this post 07-20-2009 at 05:13 PM
Old 07-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #3385
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre

Being a Buell rider I must say "If I don't hear it clicking I check to see if I jumped on the wrong bike. If not I KNOW its gonna blow up!!"
How can you hear anything over the fan noise?

I will say the one good thing about the air cooled HD motors,
hydraulic valves.

The other good thing........ Um, well, ya see the, Hmmm, shit,
did I mention the hydraulic valves?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #3386
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,672
Quote:
Other than the levers that's a very clean score!

Your wife can pass me anytime. I'll be on the bike just waiting to break-dance........

I was sure those levers were a design feature........some mechanic convinced the engineer that those bikes would sell better...

Personally, I want to know if Kev's valves have loosened over those 1000 mile intervals.......mine are not sounding loose so I was not planning to check them this season.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #3387
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Sorry Infidel. I didn't mean to turn you on.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #3388
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Hey You Guys!

Warp9man and I aren't going to be able to do our big desert ride this weekend, but I want to use my new luggage and I don't want to unpack EVERYTHING. Anyone interested in doing an over-nighter this weekend up in the cooler country?

Leave Saturday morning, ride up into the mountains, go down a dirt road or two, camp the night, then return Sunday afternoon perhaps?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #3389
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,657
yup nope dunno

hick: i'll do dawn patrol! westDez tumbleWeed Trap!

starskey: we may be riding 650/400 to the north slope of the uintahs for a weekend family gig, but i plan to find a burly route and haul camp gear in our dirt bagz (love 'em, pack the heavier stuff low & forward and you forget you carrying stuff cuz there's no swing weight. Watch an experience backpaker load their pack!) to/fro rider guests are welcome to tag along... probably a couple big days.

valves: i have mostly seen the intake valves need to be loosened and my last required the exhaust valves were a touch tight, almost in spec...

Roostre: I've heard the same about the slow death that you don't hear... I've never heard mine out, but i can tell the difference once i tune em in...

EASY TO DO... it takes longer to pull the quick release tank off.

Name:  aspen.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  118.8 KB

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)

GISkev screwed with this post 07-20-2009 at 07:28 PM
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #3390
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
starskey: we may be riding 650/400 to the north slope of the uintahs for a weekend family gig, but i plan to find a burly route and haul camp gear in our dirt bagz (love 'em, pack the heavier stuff low & forward and you forget you carrying stuff cuz there's no swing weight. Watch an experience backpaker load their pack!) to/fro rider guests are welcome to tag along... probably a couple big days.

Seems like Starskey and I are a go for an over-nighter this weekend. If you have any suggestions of big-bike friendly routes around the Uintahs it'd be much appreciated.

I take paper maps, gpx, step-by-step directions, general coordinates to look into....anything!