ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #3706
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
Hater
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #3707
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 763
Old man
Old 08-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #3708
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Cept I'm thinking on the Rhino.
Somebody is getting old.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #3709
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,497
I still plan on going to the Uintah Basin this weekend. I will leave on Friday afternoon and return Monday afternoon. Let me know if you are interested in going and we can arrange camping, rides, etc.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #3710
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKEY
My wife and I are planning on doing the Liberty/Avon pass tomorrow, starting in Clinton and ending up in Logan for lunch, then coming back again.

I just converted my wife's sumo bike to dirt, and it'll be her first time on the dirt so it will be slow rolling, lots of stops and no land speed records.

If you'd like to join us, we'd love to have you along. Yogoi, we'd love to run in/across/over/around you when we get there.

Let me know if you'd like to go. Ate oh won, fife ate niyen, niyen for fife for.
Sorry I couldnt meet up, but thanks for the call.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #3711
YOGOI
Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric
I would like to do the White Rim again. Cept I'm thinking on the Rhino.

ATV/OHV (what-ever) Are not alowed on the WRT.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #3712
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Sumo No Mo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
Sorry I couldnt meet up, but thanks for the call.
Sorry we couldn't but I'm pretty sure we'll be up there again.

So, to catch everyone up on the gig, about a year ago my wife told me she was tired of riding "back seat" on my DR650, and she wanted her own bike. We contemplated back and forth, and I kept telling her she needed a smaller bike than mine. She insisted that she didn't want a kids bike. I told her that I wasn't always going to be there to pick up the bike when she dumped it and that a bike the size of mine was too heavy for her.

Then she got a little red in the face and then she told me to go lay my bike down in the front yard. I did. She proceeded to go out there, put her back to the bike, a hand on the bars, the other hand on the luggage rack and.........proceeded to prove me wrong. As she brought it up right, put the kick stand down and set it daintily back on the stand, she indicated "there, now I get a big boy bike". This may not sound too remarkable, until you realize that the wet/farkled weight of this bike is just about 3 times her body weight!

So, I "ate crow" and bought another guy's functional but half-finished supermoto conversion project and finished it up for her. Smaller tires made her footing a bit more steady, and I was fine with her just riding on the street.

After street riding with me for a while, she announced she wanted to try dirt riding. Again, I was concerned about someone as light as her wrestling the heavier bike off road, but this time I was smart enough to keep my mouth shut. So, I finished building up my spare set of rims, slapped some used 50/50 tires on them, and converted her sumo to a more stock profile.

So, today we took off to try the dirt. Right after we took off, we noticed her front tire hadn't quite beaded up right in one spot (a bit of a bounce on flat asphalt), so we ducked in to a gas station, drained the air out of the tire, swabbed the bead down with soapy water from the windshield washing bucket, and re-aired it. It still wasn't quite perfect on one bead, but I switched bikes with her and rode it for a while and some where along the way it smoothed out and we switched back.

We rolled up Ogden Canyon, then to Liberty, then hit the dirt. She didn't want to go first, so I led but kept it at an easy pace. I kept looking back and she kept on just being right there. She dodged trucks on the road, washed out spots, big rocks and ATVs with ease. There's a little bridge out there along the road, and we stopped there to take a break:

We contiued on to Logan, got a fantastic pizza at the Factory Pizzaria, and returned home via the same route.

Some where along the way I guess my brake light died. Oh well, I needed something to work on anyway.

There was one point along the way where I was slowing to negotiate with an on-coming truck, and I looked in the rear view mirror to see her in a full-on back tire skid/side slide combo. The tail kicked right, then she brought it around and it kicked left, then she brought it up and life was good. She didn't hit me, or the oncoming truck, nor did she go off the cliff!

Later I stopped to see if she was shaken up by the ordeal. She was just grinning from ear to ear as she pulled off her helmet. So we wound on home with little excitement. When we pulled the bikes into the garage, I asked her if I should go ahead and bolt the sumo tires/rims back on. She emphatically replied:

"THAT will NOT be necesary"

'nuff said.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #3713
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
I still plan on going to the Uintah Basin this weekend. I will leave on Friday afternoon and return Monday afternoon. Let me know if you are interested in going and we can arrange camping, rides, etc.
I'll be back from buisness Friday afternoon. I have a small amount of work to do on my bike Friday night or Saturday morning (Parts will be here this week sometime)......Then I'll be ready to rip. I have some old favorites in mind along with some stuff I want to go explore. Riding can be big bike freindly, or very technical depending on group consensus. Hope some more FF's decide to come and join in the fun. Yeti...you out there?

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #3714
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman
I'll be back from buisness Friday afternoon. I have a small amount of work to do on my bike Friday night or Saturday morning (Parts will be here this week sometime)......Then I'll be ready to rip. I have some old favorites in mind along with some stuff I want to go explore. Riding can be big bike freindly, or very technical depending on group consensus. Hope some more FF's decide to come and join in the fun. Yeti...you out there?

I would like to ride a bunch of ATV trails. Yeti1 and I found some a few weeks ago, but unfortunately, they all dead-ended. When we finally found one that looked like it might go somewhere, we had run out of time.

The only people who have expressed interest so far all have big bikes, and one would like to do it with a pillion.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #3715
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Hick, think I saw you this morning at around 7:50 at the BCC 7-11 fueling this morning. I have a little Corolla that had a trailer with our Honda/Yama 250's on it. Nice bike you were riding.

We rode the Sanpitch mountains north to south to Fayette, then looped around to the beautiful Antelope Valley to Manti. Then buzzed back on mellow gravel on the east bench, up Maple Canyon and down Log Canyon on some fun ATV track. Fun, mellow 120 mile loop.

trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #3716
dakardad
Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer: 443
I got me some.

Quote:
I would like to ride a bunch of ATV trails. Yeti1 and I found some a few weeks ago, but unfortunately, they all dead-ended. When we finally found one that looked like it might go somewhere, we had run out of time.
After you had to turn back, I had a great time 'up there' and rode some great ATV trails that were kick ass. Im sorry you weren't there, as it would have been good to have someone else riding. I didn't see anyone until i got down to the main 'road'. I'm thrashed. Let's try and do it again soon.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #3717
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:

The only people who have expressed interest so far all have big bikes, and one would like to do it with a pillion.
I can give you ATV/Two track all day. I'm open for anything, just wanna have some fun. When you say pillion do you mean two up?

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #3718
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
ATV/OHV (what-ever) Are not alowed on the WRT.
Really???

There were trucks and jeeps all over it.

My Rhino is plated so is it now a jeep?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #3719
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad
Somebody is getting old.
What are you talking about?

I ride almost everyday.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #3720
YOGOI
Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric
Really???

There were trucks and jeeps all over it.

My Rhino is plated so is it now a jeep?
Sorry, but nope.
Hwy legal vehicals only, oh and mnt bikes.