ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #3826
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrShootr
Nope. The asshat that got me all excited about selling the bike bailed. He made an offer before getting a loan approved.

Oh well...

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #3827
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,723
sat/sun

Quote:
I'm game. I'm OK w/ trailering down....more space for steak and beer....er..I mean...we avoid slabbing and can do more dirt riding since we can bring gas and stuff...
I don't think my little 4 cyclinder and trailer would pull your big bike, so we may want to leave from SLC...maybe if my bike was in the truck, and yours on the trailer...

Got anywhere special you been wanting to go? I'm open, and have 24K topo's for the whole US of A, and am a GPS ninja (gates not on the map are even better ninja though!)

I'll start brainstorming... anyone have any suggestions? maybe we should try to ride from here to the san rafael swell and camp on the wedge overlook... http://www.flickr.com/photos/wwwca/2969166273/

...a plated XR650R and a VeeStrom walk into a bar and...

"I might not win the race, but i'll win the party" (quote from a San Fran street luge pro)

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)

GISkev screwed with this post 09-14-2009 at 08:06 PM
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #3828
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Speaking of Skyline Dr. right from the "B" in Bountiful, the city has dumped lots of gravel and it's well graded all the way to Francis Peak. Good fast ride, I rode with Mav this past weekend. We also did 3 miles of good rocks and ruts right out of the parking lot. Up 2 times and down once was plenty for me. We are going to try to assault a few more Colorado passes in the next 3 weeks near Telluride CO(snow and weather depending), so this short section is a good primer in the rocks. Not too bad on a DRZ. Our gearing is 15/44, a little too tall for me on this trail, I had a couple of close calls :)

Next time I'll get pictures, but I was trying to keep up with Mav, I didn't want to miss a good get off, and the helmet cam already had dead batteries :) She never went down, maybe some Ben Lomond next. I'll need to recover first.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx B_Skyline_Rocks_01.gpx (33.5 KB, 44 views)

NOTAR_520 screwed with this post 09-14-2009 at 09:41 PM
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #3829
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider

Oddometer: 325
arthur fork spur follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by quota
Which Skyline does it go off of? Too many different Skyline Drive roads around here to keep straight. Arthur Fork doesn't sound familiar, but I can check maps and old GPS tracks.
Off of bountiful Skyline Dr. near where skyline splits and one can drop into farmington or go on towards francis peak. To be more specific arthur fork spur is a road/trail off of the south east end of farmington flats. The creek/drainage that arthur fork spur runs through is right hand fork. My map shows a trail/road that may be (I do not have the best map) arthurs fork spur that peters-out.

If you have a good map and can spare 5 minutes I would be curious what your map shows?

Hope that helps.

terracruz screwed with this post 09-14-2009 at 10:16 PM
terracruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #3830
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracruz
Off of bountiful Skyline Dr. near where skyline splits and one can drop into farmington or go on towards francis peak. To be more specific arthur fork spur is a road/trail off of the south east end of farmington flats. The creek/drainage that arthur fork spur runs through is right hand fork. My map shows a trail/road that may be (I do not have the best map) arthurs fork spur that peters-out.

If you have a good map and can spare 5 minutes I would be curious what your map shows?

Hope that helps.
I could not find the fork you're talking about on my map, but if it's the trail that heads south of Farmington Flats and runs towards the radar towers, it don't think it leads anywhere. I've ridden my bike until a 1/2 mile past the radar towers and it got too knarly for comfort on my own so I turned around. Google maps did not show it leading anywhere.

Giskev, I am also OK w/ just choosing a general area and exploring around. I just noticed that from Lake Creek Rd (where we rode towards strawberry), we could take currant creek rd. I've never been in that area, but I'm OK w/ that.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #3831
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 467
Wink Sat Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
Saturday Night Camp Out:

Who: me
What: camp out
Where: dunno yet... could go big and trailer somewhere, could just ride from SLC...
When: ride Sat/sun (camp sat pm)
Why: to ride and camp out...

Any takers? I'll most likely take the plated XR650...
Oooh! Sounds tempting. You asked for ideas ... Not many weekends left for high mountain riding, so...

- North slope (Uintas) road from Mirror Lake Hwy to Flaming Gorge... HickonaCrick said he rode dirt all the way. Spend the night at Dutch John and Back Sunday. We'd have to find an alternate route back, maybe through Duchesne... does 9-mile canyon go all the way through?
- I saw your response to the guy looking for a dirt road to Moab... And the Swell sounds, well, swell.
- Pineview Res to Paradise near Hyrum, then Hardware Ranch, multiple possibilities north to Beaver Mtn resort, Franklin Basin, German Dugway, Fish Haven Cyn to Bear Lake, back up St Charles cyn, then start beating it South again.
- Cokeville Wyomin' north on a secret trail to Salt Creek, E to Salt R pass, graded road S to 3-Divide pass, Labarge creek to Fontenelle Res, N to Big Piney, W up Piney Cr, back to 3-Divide, down the Ham's fk to Kemmerer or Smiths Fk to Cokeville. I did the first part of this three weeks ago.

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without any proof. -- B Russell
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #3832
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
Saturday Night Camp Out:

Who: me
What: camp out
Where: dunno yet... could go big and trailer somewhere, could just ride from SLC...
When: ride Sat/sun (camp sat pm)
Why: to ride and camp out...

Any takers? I'll most likely take the plated XR650...
I am leaving Friday for another attempt on circumnavigating the state off road...or just riding for a week or two. Let me know where you guys will be, and I will try and join you.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #3833
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
Oooh! Sounds tempting. You asked for ideas ... Not many weekends left for high mountain riding, so...

- North slope (Uintas) road from Mirror Lake Hwy to Flaming Gorge... HickonaCrick said he rode dirt all the way. Spend the night at Dutch John and Back Sunday. We'd have to find an alternate route back, maybe through Duchesne... does 9-mile canyon go all the way through?
- I saw your response to the guy looking for a dirt road to Moab... And the Swell sounds, well, swell.
- Pineview Res to Paradise near Hyrum, then Hardware Ranch, multiple possibilities north to Beaver Mtn resort, Franklin Basin, German Dugway, Fish Haven Cyn to Bear Lake, back up St Charles cyn, then start beating it South again.
- Cokeville Wyomin' north on a secret trail to Salt Creek, E to Salt R pass, graded road S to 3-Divide pass, Labarge creek to Fontenelle Res, N to Big Piney, W up Piney Cr, back to 3-Divide, down the Ham's fk to Kemmerer or Smiths Fk to Cokeville. I did the first part of this three weeks ago.

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without any proof. -- B Russell

I'm game for throwing the saddle bags on and taking out from here. Less time on a trailer means more miles riding. Ask BrShootr.....I can pack lite on an overnighter.

There's still a lot up by hadware ranch that I have explored, and a lot I have not. Good camping, doesn't take much slabbing to get there, and a lot of good dirt to ride, even for bigger bikes. I'm pondering the ant flat/hardware ranch/up over the mountans and down to Monte Cristo loop.

Anyhow, keep me in the planning loop. I was going to throw the sumo tires back on mine, but I think I'll leave the dirt tires on for one more weekend.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #3834
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,723
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
I am leaving Friday for another attempt on circumnavigating the state off road...or just riding for a week or two. Let me know where you guys will be, and I will try and join you.
I could leave friday and chase through the weekend... I just need to be back sunday evening.

Hick, what's your planned route for leaving Friday? Sounds nice if you're accepting taggers-along...!

Of coarse, it looks like a good posse if forming for a Sat/Sun deal, so i'm flexible.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #3835
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Doing a 4 day-800 mile ride in a few days, so........

Start with a pair of perfectly good Eider ski pants (used to get them free, and they are ugly red).

Cut 'em in half.

Close the ends.

Pack sleeping bag, tent, sleeping pad, down jacket via side zipper.

Zip up the hot dog.

Ride away. You just got bonus points with the wife for saving a bunch of cash. Those bonus points can be cashed in for an extra day riding.

trackhead screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 09:24 AM
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #3836
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
Doing a 4 day-800 mile ride in a few days, so........

Start with a pair of perfectly good Eider ski pants (used to get them free, and they are ugly red).

Cut 'em in half.

Close the ends.

Pack sleeping bag, tent, sleeping pad, down jacket via side zipper.

Zip up the hot dog.

Ride away. You just got bonus points with the wife for saving a bunch of cash. Those bonus points can be cashed in for an extra day riding.
Thought you might be making assless rain pants for a second there :)

Nice pack solution ;-)
Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #3837
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman

great emoticon ryman!

brshooter you might be able to trade your bike. Also, if you trade with a dealer you can write-off any sales tax if you do it in 09, although on a trade this probably won't be a huge amount.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #3838
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister

You guys are killlllllllliiiiiinnnnnng me. Your getting ready for a bad ass weekend ride and I'm getting ready to leave my bike at home for 2 weeks.

Have fun; I better see some great riding posts here when I get back.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #3839
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider

Quote:
I could not find the fork you're talking about on my map, but if it's the trail that heads south of Farmington Flats and runs towards the radar towers, it don't think it leads anywhere. I've ridden my bike until a 1/2 mile past the radar towers and it got too knarly for comfort on my own so I turned around. Google maps did not show it leading anywhere.

Giskev, I am also OK w/ just choosing a general area and exploring around. I just noticed that from Lake Creek Rd (where we rode towards strawberry), we could take currant creek rd. I've never been in that area, but I'm OK w/ that.
No, it is not the one that runs towards the radar towers. Take farmington flats and go to the SE edge of farmington flats. This is where Arthur Fork Spur (AFS) begins. I looked on google maps last night and at a minimum there is some pretty cool small loops on AFS (very technical and not good if it is wet due to the clay). What I can't tell is whether or not any of the what apppears to turn into single track continues on.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #3840
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracruz
You guys are killlllllllliiiiiinnnnnng me. Your getting ready for a bad ass weekend ride and I'm getting ready to leave my bike at home for 2 weeks.

Have fun; I better see some great riding posts here when I get back.
I can ride your bike this weekend if you don't want to leave it parked for 2 weeks.

Quote:
brshooter you might be able to trade your bike. Also, if you trade with a dealer you can write-off any sales tax if you do it in 09, although on a trade this probably won't be a huge amount.
I'm not that desperate, riding season is almost over anyway. And if I end up keeping the vstrom it'll be that much easier to deal with the short intervals for oil changes on a 450cc bike too!

Who knows I might still get a 690. Mainly if KTM ends up making an adventure model like they did with the 640... or starts selling the Rallie model in the US. That would be a sweet DS bike!