ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #3991
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by quota
Haven't ridden it, but am interested in trying. I've been south from Vernal to just past Bonanza, but haven't continued further. In looking at the maps, I see a lot of Indian reservation land that sits east of the Green River. That might want to be avoided. 2 of the 4 in our riding group found out the hard way what happens when you travel on BIA land without permission (fortunately, they just got warnings. A real ticket with a fine is the norm). The road does not need to be properly posted in anyway.

The north-south routing looks easier the closer you stay to Colorado. Keep us updated on your findings.
Just a bit of a warning........I've had dealings (70's-80's mostly) with the Shoshone/Arapahoe tribes in Wyo.....

It's a separate Nation (by Treaty) on the reservations....and Tribal Police are not subject to regular postings and warnings.......It really is their land and their laws.....so if they decide to confiscate you or your property, it's not the standard ball game of legality.

OIL and NattyGas are not worth what they were a year ago and the BIA funding is pretty grey.....Just what you paid for it.......and probably not even worth that...........

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #3992
Fjr eh
Captain Adventure

Oddometer: 45
Off Topic

Three of us (Canadians) are arriving in Moab for a week of riding starting Oct 16th. So, we could use some local knowledge.

Will be stopping for a spin on the salt flats, ion the way down.
I'm not sure how long that going to keep our interest, but I guessing it's a must do, at least one time.

What tires do you recommend? We thinking a Pirelli MT43 trials rear, for the front, we have no idea.

We'll be riding KTM 525 with a DRz400.

thanks

Mark
Fjr eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #3993
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjr eh

Will be stopping for a spin on the salt flats, ion the way down.
I'm not sure how long that going to keep our interest, but I guessing it's a must do, at least one time.

Mark
I just did a fun 65 mile loop on the Salt Flats. It's super easy to find and brainless to navigate. Just hop on the salt flats, head north to the brown mountains until you hit a gravel road, then punch it around the mountains on the road. It's pretty unique, isolated, and somewhat of a trip out there.

Takes about two hours or less, unless you're on a Trail 90.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #3994
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
Part of the "stimulus package" for realtors..........I'm sure...........
Quit your boobing. We let you keep 94%.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #3995
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjr eh
Three of us (Canadians) So, we could use some local knowledge.
First things first... Bring your own alcohol (Canadian Club) . You cant buy Beer/alcohol in some counties on Sundays. Sheesh! And watch out for those guys with more than one wife... I think they are called "Plagiarist's". They might steal your napkin notes and call them their own.

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #3996
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
I just called and emailed the Ute tribe. No phone answer, perhaps they will reply to my email.

Seems this little piece of land is a crucial part of a fun loop, and I'd just assume figure it out and not avoid it.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #3997
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
I just called and emailed the Ute tribe. No phone answer, perhaps they will reply to my email.

Seems this little piece of land is a crucial part of a fun loop, and I'd just assume figure it out and not avoid it.

Or...just bring lots of guns. I can contribute with whatever Brazilian viruses I may have in me that they're not immune to yet.

Just an idea. That strategy worked well for the Europeans anyway!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #3998
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead

I would not try to contact them, or tell them your plan. They are slow and lazy and you will not have trouble, unless you tell them when and where to find you. If you're going to spell your plan out for them, you better carry a supply of big macs and twinkies for payment. I have been chased dozens of times by cops on my dirt bike and never been caught......the indian cops are even slower and less motivated than actual cops. The only thing they are worried about is if you're a trucking company and you paid for your access permit to haul water accross their land. If you see one....and I doubt very much that you will.....just give them the old ADV salute and keep riding.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444

Ryman screwed with this post 09-24-2009 at 03:51 PM
Ryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #3999
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman
I would not try to contact them, or tell them your plan. They are slow and lazy and you will not have trouble, unless you tell them when and where to find you. If you're going to spell your plan out for them, you better carry a supply of big macs and twinkies for payment.

There is some wisdom in that approach...............until you get caught.........

Anybody riding tomorrow/Sat/Sun?

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #4000
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
There is some wisdom in that approach...............until you get caught.........

Anybody riding tomorrow/Sat/Sun?

The day one of those guys catches me on a dirt bike is the day I give up riding and take up knitting.

Utards in Baja
Old 09-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #4001
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman
The day one of those guys catches me on a dirt bike is the day I give up riding and take up knitting.
Careful Ryman, you may hit a nerve with Infidel and Harcus.

BTW Harcus, love the scarf. Thank you.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #4002
utahpowder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
MT43 will work great in Moab and the salt flats.

Mark,

The MT43 is what I run in Moab and it is durable and hooks up great. Stay away from the Pirelli...too soft and wears fast down this way. A lot of fun rides out in Sand Flats and in the La Sals.

What tires do you recommend? We thinking a Pirelli MT43 trials rear, for the front, we have no idea.

We'll be riding KTM 525 with a DRz400.

thanks

Mark
utahpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #4003
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Alright...if Pluric is gonna break out the pictures.....I guess I'll play.

Hey Trackhead, you white boy ADVrider how dare you pollute my land with your Utardness. Stop or I'll give you a ticket.

Forget you, you fat lazy ute cop. Try and catch me!

Utards in Baja
Old 09-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #4004
Fjr eh
Captain Adventure

Oddometer: 45
Thanks,

What about a recommendation for the front?

I've been running the MT43, rear. It sure works on the the roots and rocks of the PNW. We ride with Dualsportbc, Check out their web site.

Anyone riding in Moab of the weekend of Oct 17-18th?

Thanks,

Mark

The MT43 is what I run in Moab and it is durable and hooks up great. Stay away from the Pirelli...too soft and wears fast down this way. A lot of fun rides out in Sand Flats and in the La Sals.
Fjr eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #4005
workutah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Easy Dirt Rides Close to SLC

Any good dirt rides close to SLC. I was thinking some easy roads?
Or is anybody interested in a trials bike ride this weekend?
workutah is offline   Reply With Quote